Fifa World Cup 2006

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by UKintheUS, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Jun 9, 2006 #1 of 24
    UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    Its World Cup Time

Just thought you Americans would like to be brought up to the rest of the world News. It starts today on ESPN and ABC.

And Team USA could do well. SO GET BEHIND THEM!

2. Jun 9, 2006 #2 of 24
    vtfan99

vtfan99 Legend

Apr 11, 2006

WOOOHOOOO!

GO USA!

3. Jun 9, 2006 #3 of 24
    koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    The USA has it incredibly difficult. If they get out of their group they would have proven that they are a top world team. They are ranked 5th in the world ahead of the Italians (13), and behind the Czechs (2). The other team in the group is Ghana (48).

Group E

Jun 12 12:00 ET United States v Czech Republic
    Jun 17 15:00 ET Italy v United States
    Jun 22 10:00 ET Ghana v United States

I would be awesome if the USA kicks-out the Italians in the first round!

4. Jun 9, 2006 #4 of 24
    vtfan99

vtfan99 Legend

Apr 11, 2006
    The fifa rankings are complete crap. I'm am a big USA supporter, but #5 in the worlds? Give me a break.

That said, I think we have a good shot at making it out of the group. If we can stay focused and organized and not give up the early goal, I like our chances. We're a grind it out team....wear you down and then capitalize on your mistakes. As long as we can play consistently and control the tempo through Reyna, we should have a good chance.

I actually like our chances against the Czechs and Italians more so than Ghana. Ghana are the newcomers....the unknown. You know what you get when you face the Czechs and Italians.

5. Jun 9, 2006 #5 of 24
    jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    And if we get out of the group, we probably get to play Brazil in the group of 16. Some reward for playing well in 2002. :(

6. Jun 9, 2006 #6 of 24
    MTGriz

MTGriz Cool Member

Apr 29, 2006
    A vey tough group. The Czech will not miss the next round, the Italians are always a good bet in the big tournaments and Ghana is much stronger than anyone thinks. The US could easily be left with no points in the end, but before the games are played you can't be sure. What an opening game, ey? 6 goals and quite entertaining, except early in the second half.

7. Jun 9, 2006 #7 of 24
    UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    USA can do the Czech's

8. UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    USA's first game is today

9. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes, GO USA! Make up for the terrible showing in the World Baseball Classic earlier this year.

10. UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    3-0 That was bad, and this is a good US team.

11. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    One word, "OUCH!"

12. MTGriz

MTGriz Cool Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Wow, what a wonderful win for the Czech Republic. The only thing I can complain about is the ESPN coverage. Coverage of all the games has been picked up just as the game starts, no national anthems, no lineups. ESPN lineups take a third of the screen and are blended in as the game is played. Terrible! They actually did show the US anthem being played but then went to commercials today! What the hell? Total disrespect I say. The commentators are not knowledgeable, not really commenting on the game, just doing small talk. Can't even pronounce the players' names. When watching at home I switched to Univison, where there is much much more atmosphere, enthusiasm and fun, although my Spanish is very marginal. Czech Republic all the way!

13. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Strange, I watched it on ESPN2HD, and they should the guys singing, some of them, not singing, Even showed the before game, with both teams in the tunnel lining up and chatting with each other a little bit. The annoucncers weren't to bad, what was worse was watching a sleep walking US team, They just never woke up for this one.

14. UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    No! ESPN have this policy of not showing other counties National Anthems. My god if the BBC, ITV, & Sky Networks back in the UK did that there would be hell to pay for being disrespectful to other countries.

Setanta have a good picture quality for SD aswell just wish it wasnt in German.

15. MTGriz

MTGriz Cool Member

Apr 29, 2006
    I watched that game on SD and believe me, they were on live for the US anthem and then immediately cut away to commercials and did not come back until the game had started. And the striker's name is Rosicky (pronounced rosytzky, not rosyky). Don't you ever prepare for a game as a commentator?

As for Setanta, too bad Dish does not offer it, I would have gladly spent the extra money. While in Europe I never saw a game where the anthems were skipped or where the commentators would be going off about some other upcoming game and about topics totally unrelated to the game being played and ignoring the play on the pitch. Fortunately, there is Univision. Try it, it's fun especially when there's a score. Goooooooooooool! :)

16. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The idea that the entire "rest of the world" follows soccer is simply false.

It IS the most popular sport in the world. But soccer's tiny cadre of North American boosters cannot seem to be happy with that and insist that the USA, and its first cousin Canada, are the lone hold outs, and somehow "backward" for being so.

Hardly true.

First, of course, the sad reality is that for MOST of the world's population, life is a daily struggle to find enough food to eat. Sports are a product of a leisure society and most of the world is not a leisure society.

Second, much of the world has no use for soccer. Not just the USA and Canada, but most of the ex-British parts of the world. From the Carribbean, to South Africa, to Australia and New Zealand, to India and Pakistan. Likewise most of east Asia (Japan, China, etc) has little interest.

Its a sport of Europe and (most of) Latin America.

17. UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    Bollocks!Are you under a rock?

The Japanese league and Australian Leages are huge and the fastest growing leages in the world. The Chinese league also has a very large fanbase.

India, & Pakistan are Cricket nations. New Zealand loves its Rugby.

The largest sport in Africa is Football (Soccer). The African Nations Cup is played every year unlike the its Latin American and European equivalent's which are every 4 years.

18. jazzyjez

jazzyjez Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    I also think the US deserves to do well - of course, it's really going to be an uphill struggle after the Czech game - but soccer/football could certainly do with a boost over here (needless to say, my real hope is for England!). At least we are getting the matches, even if there are quality issues on the coverage.

I was following a thread on another forum about the broadcast quality of the games so far - this is a copy of the reply I posted there...

I also found the quality to be extremely poor, especially on ABC (e.g. the England-Paraguay game) although for slightly different reasons. I've actually got D* which has the locals in SD. Well the quality of the local channel is a joke - it's like watching a poor quality analog broadcast using a set-top antenna from 20 years ago (e.g. low signal-to-noise, ghosting, etc.)… it may be advertised as 100% digital quality, but the feed to D* is definitely not. Luckily I also get the Setanta channel, which had excellent video and audio quality, although with only a German commentary.

Then at half-time I saw that it was also broadcast on Univision, in Spanish, also with excellent video and audio. Decided to stay with that for the second half - well my Spanish is about as good as my German, but those commentators are way more enthusiastic and that won me over. Anyway, not having the ABC commentary wasn’t much of a loss – why on earth they don’t use the BBC or ITV commentary is beyond me. Another point while I'm on this rant, it seems that ABC just squeezed that match into their schedule, only just catching the opening kick-off; you would think if they cared about the World Cup they'd at least have some decent pre and post-match discussion and scenes from the stadium.

I then saw some other matches this weekend on ESPN2, and they too were far better quality than ABC. Of course, ESPN2 is a national feed so you would expect to have high quality compared to the low-end locals.

19. UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    USA played real well in that first half against Italy. US did not deserve to lose a man though cheeting greasy Iti's

20. Grandpa Train

Grandpa Train AllStar

Mar 19, 2005
    The "cheeting greasy Iti's" was a uncalled for remark.