1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fill pole with concrete???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Herdfan, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Is there any reason either to or not to fill a mounting pole with concrete for added stability?

I am relocating my dish to the other side of the drive way and it will also be a pole mount and just wondered if this would make it stronger.

Thx

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I have heard of many doing it with the large c-band, etc. type dishes so I am sure you could. Just make sure you dont get air pockets in the concrete so use something to help pack it in and settle.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    for taller lengths it does stiffen a 2" pipe nicely, but PITA to pour :)
    way I did it was to place pole normally and, while tied down to maintain plumb, let base concrete in hole dry. this sealed bottom end.
    then mixed very soupy cement and poured with gallon jug until 7 foot length above ground was filled, left about 4 inches at top in case I needed to drill there.
    guy wires work better but I was not able to make use of them.

4. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    +1

If your pole mounts have stability issues, then go balls out and do it. If not, don't bother.

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    for a typical 3-4 foot height I would expect it to not be needed, but mine was 7+ feet (12 foot pole) so it was a huge help.

6. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I think it more important to dent the part of the pole going into concrete underground to prevent spinning. Next would be plugging the top to keep water out if there is a chance of winter freeze. I have never filled one. Perhaps in a high wind and no protection place it couldn't hurt.

Joe

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    drilled at 3 inch and 8 inch marks (drilled crosswise) and placed 6" rebar though each hole to prevent spinning.
    not a very high wind area here, but the direction of wind is usually a problem and at 7+ feet high there was some movement. + I knew I'd be bumping it with lawnmower all the time :)
    worked well, but was in the way and was eventually removed. took large farm tractor to remove it.

8. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    Did same here and also filled pole with concrete because we are in a high wind area. Dish is 6' above ground and has not moved in the normal high winds nor during hurricanes Rita and Ike.

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    lol, its a pain to remove :) but it does work.

10. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My issue is I am not able to get the hole as deep as I want due to rock. I have hit rock bottom at about 1.5 feet. This is not just a rock as I live on a hill made of rock. So my, possibly incorrect, thinking is to stiffen the pole as much as possible to keep it from wiggling. The pole will be about 4' out of the ground. I suspect the concrete will bond to the rock as well.

The current location is rock solid, but the top has some movement and being on a hill we do get wind. After time, that wiggle could losen the less than ideal pole depth. So I am trying to keep the wiggle to a minimum.

Thanks for the input.

11. Amerikes

Amerikes AllStar

May 18, 2006
    Just my 2 cents herdfan, but I am assuming that you are going to make a concrete base for the pole to fit in, since the hole is only 18" deep....?

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007

Eighteen inches is not deep enough. You might consider some 1" angle bar or 1/2" rebar to make a tripod. dig the tripod ends into seperate holes with concrete bolt or clamp all to the pole so that you end up with three additional supports and the pole in concrete as deep as you can get it.

Could you drill the rock where the pole is going? Drill a hole big enough for the 2" pole and set it with hydraulic cement. (Hard way to go)

Good luck.

Joe

13. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I would rather opt for putting a non penetrating mount weighed down with cinder blocks rather then a pole mount in this case.

14. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Yes. I plan on brining it up to the level of the drive way which probably adds another 4". I am going to make the entire base at least 15x15.

Had not thought about doing that. Any reason to rent a big Hilti works for me.:)

That would not pass the WAF test.;)

15. Brannayen

Brannayen Mentor

Sep 7, 2008
    I always take the foot off of a kaku mast and self tap it to the bottom of a post I'm going to set. That works much better than hammering the bottom (which I've tried with little success....it still spun around).

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    +1

Invest in good paint and use it all in several coats.

Joe

17. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    And add some pots of plants around it. Nobody will ever know.

18. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Wow, 18". At that depth you'll need a wider base then normal so you should dig a wider hole. That should give you some stability in the face the a 4' moment arm due to wind load.

Is it possible to use schedule 80 (or better) pipe? That would give you much more stiffness then filling with concrete. (I do piping analysis for a living ;))

Sch80 would take 30% more wind load then sch40 while sch160 will take 75% more load over sch40. All without adding concrete which, BTW, doesn't actually add stiffness(except by maybe some friction) but rather lowers the natrual frequency by increasing mass (higher the mass of a system the lower the natural frequency).

Concrete does nothing to provide strength under a bending load. It is great in compression but can't handle tension/bending; thus the rebar...of course rebar centered in the pipe then concrete might be beneficial.

Mike

19. Amerikes

Amerikes AllStar

May 18, 2006
    Herd fan:

Yes. I plan on brining it up to the level of the drive way which probably adds another 4". I am going to make the entire base at least 15x15.

Its really hard to tell, but maybe even a 24" X24" would add weight, and be enough to keep it steady. I would rather have overkill than to have too little, if that would be possible for you. You may also dig in at the base of the square hole at an angle starting about 6" to 8", to help add weight, and to wedge it if you will. I have seen some tower placements that use this same idea. Plus, I used it for my fence gate post.

Like shown in the bottom detail on this page.....http://www.tvantenna.com/products/tvreception/mounting/towers/taco/dmx/dmxfeatures.html

20. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Ahhhh!!!! The nightmare of freshman year physics. :lol:

If I could find one.

Yes, I did that as well when I installed my fence.