1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Death Knell for Setanta Sports?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sdk009, Jun 22, 2009.

1. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    ESPN will broadcast live Premier League matches for the first time in Britain after gaining rights from financially troubled Setanta Sports according to the AP. ESPN is also interested acquiring Scottish Premier League rights, lost by Setanta on Monday after it failed to make a 3 million pounds ($5 million) payment.

The rest of Setanta's portfolio of rights, including some England national team games and the FA Cup, could become available if the network collapses after a potential rescue package fell through last week. As a result, the company failed to meet the payment deadline last Friday with the Premier League.

2. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I think the final straw was last week when they weren't bought out. For me they charged too much anyways. HUGE soccer fan, not so much of the other stuff.

3. xyzzy42

xyzzy42 AllStar

Jan 26, 2007
    Setanta US retains Premier League rights

US rights are separate from UK domestic rights. ESPN did not buy rights to show EPL in the US. This has no effect on DirecTV.

From what I have read, Setanta North America is profitable. If (when) Setanta goes into administration, it is possible that the profitable overseas divisions will be spun off.

This thread has better info:
    Setanta will die very soon

Specifically, this post:
    Some facts

4. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    As usual, Americans need to be reminded what we are charged for PPV is less than most other countries.

Setanta [and Fox/Sky, etc] all charge more than what we pay here in the States - in Canada, the UK, Australia, etc..

5. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    They don't charge more here because they won't get that many buyers. Soon as Setanta goes HD I'll be a lifetime subsrciber to the channel, but $15/month for no HD isn't in my best interests. Money better spent on Netflix.

6. vtfan99

vtfan99 Legend

Apr 11, 2006
    They also just picked up a bunch of La Liga matches as well....mostly on Deportes and ESPN360...but a step in the right direction.

7. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    Hear hear - me too!!!

I thought English Premier League int he US was on Fpx Sccor Channel? Seems to me that's where I watch games?!

8. senorgregster

senorgregster Mentor

Apr 29, 2006
    FSC and Setanta show EPL but they show different games

9. psunate77

psunate77 Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    I am so lost, so if you have Setanta and our in the USA, You will be ok?

10. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    Assuming I'm understanding your question correctly, then yes....at least for now. Setanta North America has posted a "business as usual" message on its website. It's run as a separate entity from the UK/Ireland operation. This, of course, may change at any time...

11. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Most weekends they split the EPL matches 50/50. Want to pick and choose, you subscribe to both, record 'em all. Plus the Auld Firm matches on delay + Coca-Cola Championship if you want to see British footballers.

Yeah, yeah, Fox is "free" - as long as you get the sports package. So, I pay for the whole sports package for 2 channels + paying for Setanta.

12. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas

There are very few countries showing more live games every week than the US.
    With Saturday, Sunday, and the occasional Monday games, we average at least 6 live games in a week, over 200 per season.

The UK only shows 138 out of the 380 matches played.

I live in Thailand half the year and they are one of a few countries that show all 380 games live. Their DBS network has 4 programming tiers and you get more EPL games the higher you go, the top tier showing them all.

If I remember correctly, D* used to have an EPL PPV package that was awful. Something like $249 for 2 games per week.

I know FSC and Setanta have the rights this year, but going foward, if all 10 games were available in H D every week, I'd pay, $200 to $250 for a season package.

By the way, in Thailand we are also able to get the C Band signal from South Africa and buy bootlegged SIM cards. They show 5 - 6 games per week and there is only 1 programming tier. We also get all all the US PPV boxing matches included. No HD programming, but it's pretty cool waking up on Sunday morning to live boxing from Las Vegas!