Finally, a Skinny Bundle! ‘Don't Watch, Don't Pay' with DISH's New Flex Pack

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Aug 4, 2016 #1 of 296
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Finally, a Skinny Bundle! ‘Don't Watch, Don't Pay' with DISH's New Flex Pack

* Flex Pack skinny bundle offers choice, flexibility to create personalized TV package
    * $39.99 per month includes core package plus choice of one of eight channel packs
    * Channel packs, interchangeable monthly, include Locals, Variety, Kids, Action, etc.
    * Available for new and existing DISH customers

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today DISH launched a new way to package and purchase pay-TV. The Flex Pack skinny bundle debuts at $39.99 per month with a core package of programming consisting of more than 50 channels and the choice of one of eight themed channel packs. Customers can add and remove as many channel packs as they would like each month to best suit their entertainment needs. Individual packs feature local broadcast networks, kids, national and regional action and general entertainment, and range in price from $4 to $10 per month.

DISH launched a new way to package and purchase pay-TV with the introduction of Flex Pack.

"Our customers are frustrated with having to pay for hundreds of channels, most of which they never watch," said Warren Schlichting, DISH executive vice president of Marketing, Programming and Media Sales. "Flex Pack provides a level of flexibility and control that brings our customers closer to the ideal of fully tailoring their channel lineup."

The Flex Pack core package features more than 50 channels like AMC, TNT, USA, HGTV, E!, Cartoon Network, History, A&E, CNN, Discovery, TBS, Food Network, FX and TV Land. The channel packs include the following:

Locals Pack ($10 per month): CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, as well as Univision and others based on the local market

Variety Pack ($6 per month): Investigation Discovery, Lifetime Movie Network, Freeform, Bravo, BET, Crime & Investigation

Kids Pack ($10 per month): Disney Channel, Disney Jr., Animal Planet, Nick Jr., Disney XD, Nicktoons, Boomerang, Baby TV

National Action Pack ($10 per month): ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, Velocity, AXS TV, Fuse, TV Games Network, TVG2, Universal HD

News Pack ($10 per month): FOX News Channel, MSNBC, Weather Channel, CNBC, FOX Business Network, BBC World News, Bloomberg, TheBlaze

Heartland Pack ($6 per month): Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, GSN, OWN, Uplifting Entertainment, Discovery Family, Baby TV, PIXL, RFD-TV, Ride TV, FamilyNet

Regional Action Pack ($10 per month): In-market regional sports network(s), Big Ten Network, FS2, Longhorn Network, Outside TV, Pac-12 Network, SEC Network, World Fishing Network, ESPN Buzzer Beater

Outdoor Pack ($4 per month): Outdoor Channel, Outside TV, Sportsman Channel, World Fishing Network

Customers who choose not to add any channel packs can receive the Flex Pack core programming for $29.99. Premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz are also available as add-ons for an additional fee. A complete channel lineup can be found at www.dish.com.

Flex Pack includes a standard DISH receiver, free installation and a two-year price guarantee for new customers. For an additional $10 per month, new customers can upgrade their equipment to the award-winning Hopper 3. Customers must enroll in eBill and AutoPay to be eligible to receive these offers.

2. Aug 4, 2016 #2 of 296
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    After looking at the announcement, if one were to subscribe to all the various parts; it is $106/month.

AT250 is $89.99/month to compare.

But, EPIX, HD Movie Pack, Encore are available fro a combined $17. (EPIX and Encore, plus two SD TMC are in AT250)

So, while Flex may be good for some people, it would be a hefty increase to switch to it.

All the Premiums? $50 (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz)

The cost hits at least $123.99 + $50 = $173.99. AEP is $139.99, for comparison.

And, looking at the various packs, you end up with less channels than AT250, if all the packs were subscribed to.

Finally, now that the old forum is locked, the last post in there indicated they still could not figure out how to get BBC World, without moving to Flex.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aug 4, 2016 #3 of 296
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's the graphic that goes along with the news release as it appears on Business Wire:

[youtubehd]GL4Be95gGvs[/youtubehd]

4. Aug 4, 2016 #4 of 296
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Dish chat is refusing to acknowledge BBC World News. I don't mind paying 10 dollars for it. But it shows in the press release, but no where on their site yet.

5. Aug 4, 2016 #5 of 296
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  6. Aug 4, 2016 #6 of 296
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    If I go to News Pack, BBC World News does not show up.

7. Aug 4, 2016 #7 of 296
    bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    supposedly the only way to get these channels is via the Flex pak, regardless of your current programming. So those that have at250 or aep are screwed because they won't receive them, which imo isn't that great a loss since they aren't HD

8. Aug 4, 2016 #8 of 296
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here are the programming options available to me right now online (I'm not showing the "International" choices as it is a long, long list nor the "Midnight Lounge":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This doesn't mean there are no additional add-ons if you interact with a representative in an on line chat or on the phone.

Again, depending upon what programming you think you need, you might save not choosing the Flex Pack as your Core Programming. But it reflects the changing programming scene brought about by streaming.

9. Aug 4, 2016 #9 of 296
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A la carte is not cheaper than packages to receive the same programming.
    One might be able to save money by buying less content.

BTW: As far as BBC World News goes - yes, I saw it in the press release - but until someone gets the channel I would wait and see where it ends up.

10. Aug 4, 2016 #10 of 296
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    They finally said it was on their press release, but not showing anywhere.

11. Aug 4, 2016 #11 of 296
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Now there is a curious thing in that news release:

Customers who choose not to add any channel packs can receive the Flex Pack core programming for $29.99.

What I'm finding on line from the package resellers is a new customer offer of $39.99 with any one add on pack. That would, of course, reduce the Flex Pack/Locals Add On combination by $5.00. But I don't see the Flex Pack core anywhere offered for $29.99.

12. Aug 4, 2016 #12 of 296
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    They should have made sure everything was good to go before releasing to the press. BBC World News doesn't show up on Dish's website, but does in the press release. Shows that core for $29.99, but the package online core for $39.99.

13. Aug 4, 2016 #13 of 296
    gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Looking at this, some subscribers can get some real savings, depending on what channels they watch. If you tend to just watch the most popular channels in the core and no sports, you'll probably benefit the most from the skinny bundle. If you have the OTA equipment and a good lock on locals, you get more savings. If I were still on Dish Network, I would definitely take advantage of that and screw the local channels out of revenue... :)

Although I recently cut the cord, I have just sent the web page link to my brother, who is still on Dish Network for now. I suspect he might be interested in switching over to Flex Pack...

All in all, I think this a good move in the short term for Dish Network and has the potential to somewhat stem the tide of potential cord cutters. Hopefully, the discrepancies mentioned above will be fully clarified (and fixed, if needed).

1 person likes this.
  14. Aug 4, 2016 #14 of 296
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    This is really unfortunate for us with AT250. With paying for this pack since the beginning and always expecting all of the new general channels always being added. we no longer get that. The Bet networks as well as BBC World are not included. I have BBC World as well as France24 streaming now. I will wait this out until later in the year to if things change and the new channels are added. If not, I will go down to a smaller pack and move more of my viewing to the Roku. Even Direct TV as well as Charter Cable both have BBC World in HD in their larger packages as well as CNN International. Why pay the big price for the largest package only to find all of the channels are no longer included. I hope Dish gets plenty of flack on this one.Now, with them losing so many subs. I would think they want to keep the rest of us happy.

15. Aug 4, 2016 #15 of 296
    WelcomeBackKotter

WelcomeBackKotter New Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Belington WV
    For existing customers, those who are out of the contracts, will Dish reps be amenable to the idea of $39.99, including locals, for two years (as new customers get) to save $5? Can Heartland be purchased under this arrangement at the discounted price of $3 for six months? Combined, this would save out-of-contract customers $8 and possibly lock it in for two years. Does anyone know more about these?

16. Aug 4, 2016 #16 of 296
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    The online 39.99 price includes core package and one add on pack, assuming most would pick the locals pack. Same price as dish

17. Aug 4, 2016 #17 of 296
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Despite the fact that here we were discussing the Flex Pack almost a month ago and you have to believe Dish management and staff have been working on it a day or two longer, the public roll out is hardly smooth. Someone needs to call the folks over at BBC World News and work out some kind of arrangements to go along with the news release.

Beyond any oops problems, though, they really need to spend some money hiring a good marketing person to aim directly at the millennials. As I said in the other thread:

18. Aug 4, 2016 #18 of 296
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    $29.99 Flex Pack per the news release
    $39.99 Flex Pack plus one Channels Pack per advertising

Me:
    $34.99 Flex Pack
    $10.00 Locals Channels Pack
    $44.99 Total

Well, being retired with time on my hands, I can't just sit back and not see what I can do. After all, I have been with Echostar/Dish since 1988 and have a clean record as a good customer. So taking the easiest route I began with an online chat with this result:

Even knowing that making the suggested the phone call will require some patience, I did make the call. The representative who had an Indian accent had problems getting to my account, but explained that the offers were for new customers. Specifically the $29.99 Flex Pack deal was for having autopay, but since I have autopay he would give me the $5.00 off. He seemed to be typing and he said, so you now have the discount. I, of course, said "thank you very much."

It has not yet appeared in my online account information, so I will report back here when I'm sure I have the discount.

1 person likes this.
  19. Aug 4, 2016 #19 of 296
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Well ... you should see BBC WN in the guide now (channels no longer hidden).

DISH updated their channel guide on the website. The new channels are listed only in the Flex Pack. :(

Attached Files:

20. Aug 4, 2016 #20 of 296
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Confirmed they are not in AT250.

So DISH wants you to get less, by paying more. See my earlier post.