1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally cancelled DirecTV entirely... feels good!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by smithrh, May 9, 2018.

1. May 9, 2018 #1 of 135
    smithrh

smithrh Mentor

Oct 2, 2007
    Of course, they drug out the cancellation to a ridiculous extent, and one rep even hung up on me. Yeah, that'll make me change my mind! "Sir we require we understand why you're leaving after more than 15 years" - no, fool, I've been paying you - and far far too much for far too long.

Expect a silly amount of badgering, and long silences. F that. Yes, the first one hung up on me - not an extended hold, but a disconnect. DirecTV had it's day, but it went many years ago, and I stuck around due to inertia, and while OTT options matured a bit.

Vue and SiliconDust (OTA HD DVR) will get me everything I want and need - for roughly a third of the cost.

In the end, what they demanded and the value I was getting were foolishly far apart.

(Not that it was any sort of deciding factor at all, but AT&T money to a certain someone's bag man isn't a good look either. )

2. May 9, 2018 #2 of 135
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    We've been discussing cancelling and going to PS Vue. Hope it works out for you.

I'm wondering what their response would have been had you said you were cancelling due to AT&T's payments?

3. May 9, 2018 #3 of 135
    smithrh

smithrh Mentor

Oct 2, 2007
    It may wind up being Hulu, but Vue is OK for now. Might try a trial.

As for the other thing, I wouldn't do that, I'm sure they wouldn't know how to handle it (the agents). But AT&T I'm sure has contact center voice analytics running, so if "Cohen" or "Trump" got brought up enough, the contact center management knew about it.

But I was fed up way before that point. Somehow, miracle of miracles, the voice response system just doesn't understand "cancel." Funny thing, that.

4. May 9, 2018 #4 of 135
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    It’s been well over a year for us. PSVue, NetFlix, Amazon Prime Video, OTA antenna w SiliconDust tuner. Everything we want/need and much less expensive, don’t miss anything at all (well except having to call them every so often to beg for discounts LOL). Can’t imagine ever going back. We were D customers since before it was even D. At one time D was leading edge (why I was part of “Edgecutters”)...now they are just old and stoggy, trying to milk as much as they can from their entrenched user base. For some it is unfortunately the only game in town. I get that. But if you have high speed net access and are after leading edge tech and 4k HDR/DV content, unfortunately D is just not where it’s at...IMHO. I find it a bit sad.

Rich likes this.
  5. May 10, 2018 #5 of 135
    Coachbulldog

Coachbulldog Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Utah
    I don't think I would ever be a cord cutter because I would miss my regional sports channels, but I don't have a lifetime agreement with AT&T - Directv and am considering making a change when my agreement is up this summer. I've been with them for 16 years and have been happy for most of that time. But in the last two years, things have changed. I don't know if Comcast or Dish would be any better, but I'm going to explore the options soon.

6. May 10, 2018 #6 of 135
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    For my area, PS Vue has my regional sports networks.
    Local Live Streaming Channels | PlayStation Vue

7. May 10, 2018 #7 of 135
    stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    So I have been a subscriber since 1997, but I too am about to take the plunge. College tuition bills have me changing my life. I have been testing Directv Now with Roku on an Att wireless card. So far, it has worked very well. Internet and the equivalent of Directv Choice for $63 a month with my ATT $25 rebate on unlimited data. Currently my internet and tv cost me around $250 a month. Saving $200 a month and not missing a game or show....

Rich likes this.
  8. May 10, 2018 #8 of 135
    Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    Cancelled about a year ago. Using Sling with Hulu (not live) and Netflix. Don't miss DTV one bit. I got tired of the games. Calling in to ask for discounts and don't get me started on all the stupid fees. HD fee in 2018? That's just greedy.

mjwagner likes this.
  9. May 10, 2018 #9 of 135
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not gonna get the sports you want with anything but D* or, perhaps, PS Vue. D*Now might be a good choice once they get the cloud DVR up and running. I'd expect that to have all the sports programming we have now. I'm looking to switch to PS Vue or D*Now in January if everything is in place by then. I'd like to see PS Vue and D*Now putting out 1080p by then.

Rich

10. May 10, 2018 #10 of 135
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Another gee I traded in my 2018 M-B for a 2003 Chevy Cavilier and its alright thread.

I think the main people you are trying to convince are yourselves.

11. May 10, 2018 #11 of 135
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not true for everybody. I haven't watched anything but sports on D* for a couple years, I can and will get all the sports I want from either PS Vue or D*Now next year. I'm convinced that streaming is better than sat service. Yeah, there are some "cons" but for the most part an ATV or an FTV can give anybody a better experience than D* can, I think.

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  12. May 10, 2018 #12 of 135
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I’m not trying to convince anybody, just reporting the facts as I see them and hoping to help others. Honestly I feel more like I traded in a Chevy for a Porsche...but that’s JMO.

13. May 10, 2018 #13 of 135
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Obviously, you have to drive down this road to see the light at the end of the tunnel. If someone is open minded enough to give streaming a few weeks that should be enough to at least give them an idea how good and simple streaming is. Takes time. Took me months to realize I was doing something that would make life better.

Rich

14. May 10, 2018 #14 of 135
    tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I would seriously consider ALL streaming for my needs except for 2 issues.

1. Mediacom caps internet tiers.
    2. I have a 2nd setup at permanent campsite by taking a receiver with or leaving one there. Place has horrible OTA and only cell or sat internet.

I wish they would give Now to current customer and we could use that for additional tvs instead of lease for for additional receivers.

15. May 10, 2018 #15 of 135
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I'm leaving because we are moving into an apartment where we can't have sat anything. Did a lot of looking around. Everyone is different. We need DVR since we watch almost nothing live. We don't want to have x for these stations, y for different stations, etc. Need whole home and lots of tuners since we sometimes are recording 3 or 4 at a time.
    Or cable provider (Spectrum was TWC) only offers 2 tuner DVR and no whole home - which is hard to believe in this day and age but they are probably working on a cloud dvr solution. DTV now has no DVR yet, and doesn't offer local or regional sports where I live. Current plan is cable with TIVO to handle whole house and DVR needs. A lot cheaper than DTV but..
    Each to their own needs

16. May 10, 2018 #16 of 135
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm not trying to convince anybody but my wife. She is the only one that counts.

But we're paying $175 for DIRECTV and can get all the channels we watch with PS Vue for $55. One of our locals is On Demand only, but we also have a roof mounted antenna for OTA with an OTA DVR that we can access via our Plex service.

But wife isn't sure. Free week next month to test it before we drop DIRECTV, which we've had since 1998.

Rich likes this.
  17. May 10, 2018 #17 of 135
    smithrh

smithrh Mentor

Oct 2, 2007
    I won't directly give the idiot poster the time of day - but I will say I got on-board with Vue and Silicon Dust for a month *BEFORE* I cancelled DirecTV.

It was a total make-before-break situation, and I suggest others do the same. Once you try it, it's quite likely you'll find you're pissing away money on DirecTV needlessly. Yes, I live in a Vue market with locals, so that helps, but they miss a few locals and the OTA DVR cleans those up nicely.

Caveat Emptor as always, but it takes a real idiot to pretend they know why others make the decisions they do.

bwaldron, 1redss and Rich like this.
  18. May 10, 2018 #18 of 135
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I’ve tried and researched a few streaming services, never found one I actually liked or would actually save me any money. Not counting premium channels, they all come in around $60-$80/month plus the $80 I pay for 100/10 ‘net service with a 1 Tb data cap. Essentially it ends up more than the cable with all their channels including premiums that I have, and I’ve got a really good DVR functionality and not some very 2nd rate one that the streamers have

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

19. May 10, 2018 #19 of 135
    Lyncher101

Lyncher101 New Member

Sep 5, 2017
    Dumped DTV almost a year ago and what a great feeling it was!! I come back to this site on occasion to watch the tide continue to come in on satellite and cable. Our family has been using VUE, Netflix and Amazon and have missed ZERO shows that we used to watch on DTV. As for sports, yeah, Sunday Ticket is what drew me to DTV 17 years ago and what kept me there until that too became insanely expensive. VUE has all my network locals, Redzone, NFL Network, My RSN's, FS-1,2, All the ESPN's, CBS Sports Network, NBCSN and many more in their sports tier. DTV knows the mother ship is sinking, hell, almost all of their ads are for DTVN. If they were to offer Sunday Ticket as an optional add-on via their streaming service I bet that a lot of current DTV subscribers who have a solid internet connection would immediately jump ship. Are the streaming services perfect? No, but NO service is flawless. A lot of people resist change. I did for a long time. I kick myself for not fleeing sooner!! An initial investment in quality streaming devices and the proper internet bandwidth/speed makes us a very happy streaming family. About the only thing I would mention to those of you who are considering streaming (and some of you have stated this as well) is check about data caps. Those can present a roadblock if you don't have an alternate provider option to turn to for internet.

Rich likes this.
  20. May 10, 2018 #20 of 135
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I hated doing it, but 2 years ago I went back to AT&T internet. Had Comcast 60mbps for $75 per month. 1TB cap. 4 of us in the house at the time and we were hitting the cap.

Now 1GB fiber for $90 per month with unlimited data (first 12 months was $80 per month) .