1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally Took The Plunge

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by WayGod, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1 of 10
    WayGod

WayGod Mentor

Sep 7, 2009
    Signed up this evening at Costco and DTV called to confirm the install before I even got home. Install in two days. Thanks to everyone on this forum for the info and help... although reading so much almost made me panic my way out! The panic turned to "here's hoping" after my last cable bill.

I'm still a bit on edge about the install and living on the LLC of Florida (lower left coast), rain fade and weather related problems... should probably be more concerned about 'cane season and that oil gusher in my new dead sea... kayaking on an oil slick, anybody?

Again, thanks to the really, great people here, unbelievable info, all the help and... did I mention, the really, really great people??? THANKS... :D

2. Jul 6, 2010 #2 of 10
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Woo hoo!!!! Welcome to the crowd!!!

3. Jul 6, 2010 #3 of 10
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Don't worry about rain fade and weather related problems. The cable ads will fill your mind with that mess. From the other Florida coast, if the rain is heavy enough you cant see 50 yards, it might affect your picture. But it isn't that common, you will be very happy.

Good luck with the oil and lets all hope for another hurricane free year.

4. Jul 6, 2010 #4 of 10
    WayGod

WayGod Mentor

Sep 7, 2009
    Thanks for the info NR4P... that fade/weather thing has kept me from doing DTV sooner.

Amen to no 'canes... We're not affected by the gush or the FEMA death camps, just ,yet... but there's just no telling, at this point, what will happen.

5. Jul 7, 2010 #5 of 10
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Keep in mind, those without problems or a high level of technical interest are unlikely to post here, so you see a rather skewed sample of what most customers are experiencing.

If I were to come in here cold and do nothing but read page after page after page of problems with both equipment and service, I would not have signed up.

Of course, I had all my equipment for many years before I came here and found out how bad my stuff was and how rotten D*'s service had been. I wonder how I managed to be so satisfied, if not downright happy those first 11 years, before I got here.:)

This place reminds me (at times) of the corporate axiom:

Everything is ok, until it isn't, and then it never was.

Welcome aboard, enjoy the tussle, and try to be patient as you explore the vicissitudes of being a DrirecTV customer and participant in these forums. They are a gold mine..

My experience with D* has been very good since 1995. They aren't perfect, and neither are the participants here, but I'm still here, and that beats the alternative.:)

6. Jul 7, 2010 #6 of 10
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI

:eek2: Thank you for expanding my vocabulary.:)

7. Jul 7, 2010 #7 of 10
    WayGod

WayGod Mentor

Sep 7, 2009
    I realized the wealth of info here, both good and bad. I had to look closely at the pros, cons and finally the alternatives... that's why I took the plunge. My biggest hang-ups were making a two-year commitment and getting a good install in an area well known for not providing anything resembling good service. But having this forum to fall back on and not getting the screws from Comcast anymore, made the decision your basic no-brainer. I trouble-shoot my own network and had became adapt at fixing cable's shortcomings as best I could, because I didn't want them at my home. Their fix one thing and break five others got old fast. A simple Comcast upgrade, actually got me moved to a town thirty miles away... only problem was, I didn't move.

8. Jul 7, 2010 #8 of 10
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    !rolling

I have Comcast for Phone and Internet and would love to do without them. Right now I just have a deal too good to pass up, but when it is over I will most likely be going the Ooma/Fios route just to be done with them. I've had many issues with them as well (both billing and tech support).

- Merg

9. Jul 7, 2010 #9 of 10
    WayGod

WayGod Mentor

Sep 7, 2009
    That's how my last problem with them arose... I added their phone service and bingo, I moved thirty miles away, along with upwards of two-hundred other clients in the area. I had the phone service for less than six-months... couldn't hold a call for more than three minutes. It's gone and soon cable TV will be also. Unfortunately, I have to keep their internet because my alternatives stink worse... is that possible???

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You made a good decision WayGod. I've been with DirecTV since 1995 and can count the number of problems on my hand with fingers left over! All three were resolved quickly and to my satisfaction. Enjoy your new service.