Finding my gmail inbox

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Dec 13, 2019.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    A few months ago, I couldn't get a cab to pick me up at a hospital late at night, but a helpful orderly suggested that I call for an Uber. I had never done so previously. He said I needed the Uber "app" downloaded into my cellphone but when he tried to do that, he found I did not have a G-mail account (that I knew of, anyway) and so he set me up with Gmail and UBER and I got a cheap ride home pronto.

I remember what I had used for my new gmail address. I used my complete name which I will call JohnPaulJones@Gmail.com, but I didn't save the password or even understand how t was that II could do all this only through Gmail but not with any other carrier's e-mail (I am primarily an AOL customer)

Over the past year, there have been times when I was trying to contact someone on a local government website, but they did not furnish the recipient's e-mail address. When I attempted to compose and send them messages, a window would open up giving me the options of using Explorer, Gmail, Outlook, maybe and a couple other familiar mail names, and I would "create an account" with one of those services. That must be something they do to control incoming spam. One inconvenient aspect of communicating with them this way was that I did not see how to have access to a copy of my submission, so I'd copy and paste into a text document before leaving that page.

Anyway, it occurred to me that somewhere in"the cloud" there may be a mailbox of mine, johnpailjones@gmail that is holding important, unopened mail that was sent back to me,

I decided to figure how to "log onto" my gmail account and access my inbox there. I googled "open my gmail" and the top results were places where I could log into google, but then, when it asked me to enter my Gmail address, it said that johnpauljones was taken. I am usre it was taken and is held by me, but not in this known Google account.

I can't figure out how to find out what Google account my johnpauljones@gmail.com e-mail account is associated with. I'm sure it is mine, because my composed messages were sent, and my uner ride arrived, but I'd like access to my johnpauljpones@Gmail.com inbox

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
  3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    That's the way I tried. It "opens" or connects me to "my google account". in which I used a pseudonym (say, Joe Blow) and beneath that it says, "Choose your e-mail address", and when I enter my personal iteration of johnpauljones@gmail.com, that is when it says that is already taken.

FWIW, I have four more e-mail addresses: three with AOL and one with Yahoo. Possibly, when that guy set up my Uber account and had to first set up a Gmail account for me, possibly he used on of my other four e-mail addresses to set up the google. I guess I'll have to set aside some time and go through all the possibilities.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  4. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    After you connect to your Google account at Google.com, look for a "Gmail" link in the upper right corner. That should take you directly to the associated email without needing to login again. If that's not there, then I don't know what the guy might have done.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just confirmed that my gmail address is. in fact (or in format, actually) johnpauljones@Gmail by accessing my uber account on my phone. Gmail/google makes it easy to try other e-mail google accounts, and I tried all four of my other e-mail addresses but none were recognized. Is there any kind of user group help or g-mail customer service that might be able to help me to access my account?

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    On a lark, I tried johnpjones and Google/gmail recognized it as an e-mail address that I had created. Who knows when I might have done that? I went to that mailbox but it was empty. It is NOT the gmail/e-mail address that Uber uses for me.

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
  8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The 'already taken' is the response Google uses when you're trying to create a new address, not when you've forgotten your password.