1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire season 2011 begins

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Feb 20, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. Well, this is the earliest I've started one of these threads. And the fires are in the Washington, D.C. region. From the Washington Post article headlined Winds cut power, spread fires across D.C. area, topple National Christmas Tree:

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    We have several wildfires going in NC now as well. The state as a whole is very dry.

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Wow, I had no idea and did a Google News search. One example:
    That led me to a story about wildfires in Virginia:
    Another story:
    This seems significant to me. These two adjacent states have about 60% of the area of California. If there was this kind of wildfire activity in the southern two-thirds of California in February, I think we would be seeing more prominent news coverage.

I go to Yahoo News U.S. National, no stories. I go to Google news, U.S., no stories.:confused:

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    It's been a recurrent theme on the newscasts , in the weather segments - "Please do not burn outside due to the severe drought conditions and especially with the high winds of the last couple days".

And yet - we still have the fools who do...

5. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    www.weather.gov has a whole section on fire weather.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Fortunately, in NJ it's a rare occurrence when someone burns anything outside. Doing so usually prompts a visit from the nearest fire department very quickly.

Rich

7. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The National Weather Service has had this up for our area for the last week, the details change from day to day but the gist is always the same.. it appears on the Weather Channels home page for my forecast:

Issued by The National Weather Service
    Atlanta, GA

Mon, Feb 21, 2011, 12:00 AM EST

... FIRE DANGER STATEMENT...
    ... HIGH FIRE DANGER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED FROM MID MORNING THROUGH THE EARLY EVENING HOURS TODAY FOR NORTH AND MOST OF CENTRAL GEORGIA DUE TO STRONG WINDS AND DRY FUELS...
    SUSTAINED WINDS OF 15 MPH OR GREATER CAN BE EXPECTED ALONG WITH GUSTS OF 20 TO 25 MPH. RELATIVE HUMIDITY WILL STAY ABOVE 25 PERCENT.
    WITH DRY FUELS... HIGH FIRE DANGER CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED.
    PLEASE REFER TO YOUR LOCAL BURN PERMITTING AUTHORITIES CONCERNING WHETHER YOU MAY BURN OUTDOORS. IF YOU DO BURN OUTSIDE... USE EXTREME CAUTION.

8. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Yesterday's news reported a grass fire in Charlotte caused by a portable charcoal grill that quickly surrounded the house next door and melted the vinyl siding. No other structural damage was reported.
    Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) has issued a ban on all outside burning.

A somewhat amusing (but costly) story from Oklahoma last month:
    A blazing squirrel caused a wildfire.
    http://www.wsoctv.com/weather/18541790/detail.html

9. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From an AP story headlined West Texas wildfires scorch 80,000 acres; 1 death:

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From an AP story headlined Wildfires destroy 49 homes in Okla., 9 in Texas:

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Noticed this headline this morning Wildfire forces evacuation of 100 Colorado homes:

12. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
  13. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
  14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I see they've got both the Burning Tree and Indian Gulch Fires contained. Glad it worked out ok for you.

Fires this early in the year feel weird to me. Here in Northern California we're near flood conditions and it's pouring rain as I write this. I can't even imagine how high the fire risks are going to be this summer on the eastern slope of the Rockies and apparently the entire region in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, and Oklahoma.:(

15. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I know what you mean about the weird weather. The storms that are pouring on you move east and dump plenty of snow in the mountains but just stop at the Continental Divide. The mountains have snowpack ranging from 120% to 180% of normal but out here in the east snow has been about 25% of normal

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    After all the snow and rain we've gotten in NJ, today I open up the Weather Bug and it's got a Red Alert up. Ground is like a sponge. Go figure.

Rich

17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Sorry, I have been preoccupied with other things, so I haven't acknowledge that Texas has been on fire. One AP headline yesterday was Massive W. Texas fire spreads up to 125 sq. miles.

The thread title article from the Austin American-Statesman reported:
    One photo from that article:

[​IMG]

18. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Things seem pretty bad in Texas. One firefighter was killed Friday, another suffered third-degree burns over 60 percent of his body Saturday. From the AP via Yahoo:
    From the Star-Telegram:
    And from the AP:

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Just to keep up this thread a little, this evening we have these headlines:

Wildfire consumes homes in eastern Arizona

Arizona fires burn tens of thousands of acres

And from this short AP summary:

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I don't know if your intent is to keep this to the U.S. or not, but there was Slave Lake, Alberta.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/06/04/edm-slave-lake-waiver.html