Firefox .9 released, Thunderbird .7 later in the week.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by firephoto, Jun 16, 2004.

1. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    One of the last "technology preview" releases of Firefox before the final version ships. Major changes include a new theme, extension and them managers, update function for the browser, themes, and extensions. Windows installer is smaller, browser is faster overall, linux has an installer version now, many other bugfixes too.

Release notes.

Bittorrents here.
    http://pryan.org/mozilla/bt-tracker/

Direct download all versions here:
    http://pryan.org/mozilla/firefox/official/releases/0.9/

Mozilla ftp if the others don't work. (could be slow due to demand)
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.9/

**Thunderbird is out, see below**

2. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Firefox is my preferred browser. I use it for everything but Windows Update. Highly customizable and quick page rendering. Slow to lad though.

3. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    I also use Firefox completely. However, I prefer third-party builds that are significantly optimized to provide even better performance than the standard versions available. Right now I'm running an optimized version of the 0.9 release code. There are some third party builders who have taken it upon themselves to dig into the base code of the program, mainly the engines that render graphics and security, and update them to use much more efficient routines, some using MMX, SSE, SSE2 when appropriate and available. The difference in performance can be astounding. My personal favorite is the builds from MOOX. He provides nightly builds optimized for various CPUs, from old P2s to P4s and Athlons, etc.
    He uses the optimized rendering code that is done by MMOY for MMX, SSE, and SSE2 jpeg, gif, and hash.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040615 Firefox/0.9 (MOOX-AV)

More info about Third-Party builds can be found here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=42

4. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
  5. Brian Rector

Brian Rector Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    IMHO, its more exciting using other browsers now that IE is really going to the "pay to upgrade" stage now (All future versions of IE will no longer be available as standalone).

I have been using the newest version of Opera. Its more of a suite, like Netscape Communicator used to be back in the stone ages of the Internet.

I have quit using IE mostly because Opera and Mozilla are more secure, stable, and more fun to use.

6. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I am disappointed in the extreme. I have tried to use 0.9 both by using the zip files and the executable install file. In both cases it appears to install but my machine just hangs. The task manager says Firefox is running but it is not. I am fine with reecent branch and trunk builds. I have been a staunch advocate of Firebird now Firefox but recent problems with extensions and now thsi may push me ina different direction.

7. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    There have been a few instances of this reported in the Third-Party Builds forum on several of the recent Branch builds, which the 0.9Release is one of. It seems to be a conflict in the profile and installed extensions. The solution is to:

1. Reboot the machine
    2. Go to your Firefox folder (typically C:\Program Files\Firefox)
    3. Copy your Plugins folder and contents to your desktop (drag/drop)
    4. Completely delete the entire contents of your Firefox folder, including all subfolders
    5. Extract the new version of Firefox into the now empty folder (don't make a subfolder, just extract directly into the folder)
    6. Open the Plugins folder in the Firefox folder
    7. Open the copied Plugins folder on your desktop
    8. Copy or move all of the plugins except the npnull32.dll into the Firefox\plugins folder
    9. Now open your profile folder (typically c:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profilename]
    10. You can copy the files like Bookmarks.html, cookies.txt, cookperm.txt, user.js to somewhere else for safekeeping
    11. completely delete the Mozilla and Firefox folders out of the Application Data folder, including all the subfolders under them
    12. Now, restart the new Firefox with the -p switch
    13. You will be presented with the Profile Manager, you can create a new profile (the default name is ok unless you want otherwise)
    14. Click the Start Firefox button, then exit firefox
    15. Now go to the new Profile folder (in the same location as before usually)
    16. Copy your saved files from your old profile into the new one
    17. Restart Firefox, it should work now.
    18. You will need to reinstall your extensions, note that they are required to be updated to the new format, some of the main ones are already.

8. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    I upgraded my moms version when I was over there the other day and I saw in the release notes I think that it said to uninstall any older version before installing the new version so I just did it from the add/remove in control panel and before it was done it asked me if I wanted to completely remove the program folder since something was in there that couldn't be uninstalled. I just said yes, then ran the new installer and when it asked about what profile to import data from I picked the Firefox .8 option and all was fine.

Apparently there's something left over with windows builds since I never installed anything extra on that machine. I guess there could be on linux too because I always rename the program folder to reflect the version before I put a new version in use.

There's a list of new themes and extensions here that will work with the new versions.
    http://update.mozilla.org/

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I tried Firefox both at work and at home. It's OK. If I had been using Internet Explorer instead of MyIE2, I would have probably switched.

It's true that MyIE2 runs under the Internet Explorer engine. However, at work, I have set it up so that when I start up MyIE2, I can load up a group of pages at once. Also, if I click and drag a link, it opens up in a new tab. If I highlight and then drag text, it opens into a search engine. I can also block out "content" such as the banner ads.

I won't say that Firefox is a bad browser, just that I found something a bit more suited to my needs.

10. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I have indeed uninstalled the old version. I will try the steps in precisely that order though. It is worth a shot. I was using both branch and trunk builds before so I think I will be OK extension wise---or at least that I wont be surprised. Thanks.

11. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    I love a good challenge.......

First one is simple, use | as seperators in your home page preference and multiple tabs should open when you start or click the home button.
    Example:
    Code:
    http://www.google.com/linux|http://slashdot.org|http://forums.gentoo.org
    Second is easy too, but might not be what you are doing. You can drag links to the tab bar and drop them in the empty space for a new tab, or on an existing tab to open it there. Also I believe the middlemouse.contentLoadURL does a "I'm feeling lucky" google search of the clipboard contents with windows, but it might be a linux only thing. I disable it because middle click is paste and highlight is copy with *nix.

Third one, you can highlight text, right click, and "search web" for that text.

The forth one you will probably need to install an extension, http://update.mozilla.org/ should fix you up if you want to give it a try. Adblock should do what you want with ad banners I think and it's the most popular extension it looks like.

12. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I am confused Firephoto. Whose questions are you answering?

13. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    That was for Mark.

Must convert MyIE2 user......
    Must convert MyIE2 user...Must convert MyIE2 user......
    Must convert MyIE2 user......Must convert MyIE2 user...Must convert MyIE2 user......

!Devil_lol

14. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    If you have the same problem I did, this is how I fixed firefox 0.9 from hanging...

I removed Firefox from the computer using the uninstall. Then I made sure the c:\program files\mozilla firefox\ folder was deleted. Then I removed the c:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Application Data\Mozilla\ folder and its settings. After that, a reinstall of Firefox seems to work now.

It has something to do with running a late 0.8 build that moved the settings to the Application Data folder. After removing that folder (i saw a firefox folder there too and removed that) I've working fine.

15. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Or just open them in different windows and then in the options select "Use Current Pages" under the Home Page setting.

16. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks for the advice guys. It worked---up to a point. But I cant seem to even download---much less install a theme (I like Skypilot) and I am disappointed that I cant seem to get the search plugins to work either.

I know they made changes to how themes and extensions work----again but this is getting annoying. Oh well I guess I have to accept that I am essentially a beta tester.

17. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    One other feature that I like is that you can assign function keys to open various web sites. I press F12 at work, DBSTalk comes up. Press F4, and I got the USPS Zip Code Lookup F8, and I can do a phone number lookup.

And, yes, I did send the author of MyIE2 a donation. There is something about using the Gecko engine with MyIE2, but I think that's experimental.

18. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Yes, the themes and extensions support was a major change. However, most of the major extensions have been updated. I've also found more themes that are being updated to the new method. One thing that was an oversight, the latest builds of the browser have two configuration settings that have been causing problems with extensions.

In the address bar, enter About:Config, find the app.version entry and change it from 0.9+ to 0.9. Make the same change to the extensions.lastAppVersion entry. Shutdown Firefox and restart. Now the extensions will probably install correctly. The problem is that with the 0.9+ entry the themes were not being noted as compatible, even though they are.

19. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    In Firefox, I've set up bookmarks that perform various functions for websites. Like when I want to look up something on IMDB, in the address bar I simply type, "imdb moviename" and it goes to the IMDB website and gives me the info for that movie. Similarly, I can type "dict word" and I get the dictionary definition for the word. I can also highlight a word, even one I've just typed in this box for instance, rightclick on it and choose "dictionary search for..." and get the definition. Basically, any website that accepts a word or phrase passed to it in the address line you can make a quick search for. There is an extension available that allows you to assign those, or any bookmark for that matter, to any key or key combo you want (or even a particular mouse move/button press).

20. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I cannot even download any extensions or themes . I get error messages. I ahve tried downloading them with another browser but that is problematic and somewhat ridiculous.

I will try all this though. It certainly cant hurt.