1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox Profiles

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Jul 13, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Is there anyway to have regular Firefox set to 1 profile, and Firefox Nightly set to a different profile? Basically when regular Firefox is opened, I want it to open the Default profile, and when Nightly is opened, I want it to open a different profile, or at least open the profile manager (But regular Firefox should NOT open the profile manager).

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Certainly. I name my profiles "Nightly" and "Release". You will need to right-click on the shortcut and select properties. Then, add the following to the Target (changes in bold):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox Release\firefox.exe" -P "Release" -no-remote

This will load Firefox with the "Release" profile, and the -no-remote allows you to run Firefox Release and Firefox Nightly at the same time.

3. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    That worked. Thanks!!

4. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It worked until I realized today that it defaults to Nightly for some reason. If a link is clicked on from the desktop, or a program opens the web browser, it automatically opens Nightly instead of regular Firefox. Anyway to fix this?

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
  6. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
  7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    The portion that I highlighted in bold has to be applied to each shortcut. If you have a profile named "Nightly", then you have to change the name from "Release" to "Nightly" and apply the changes to all of your shortcuts.

FWIW: I have ESR, Release, Beta, Aurora, Nightly, UX, Pale Moon, and Waterfox installed, and each has it's own profile.