First atsc 3.0 station in Seattle market switches on

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by 1948GG, Mar 17, 2020.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Sometime in the last couple of days, the Tegna station KING-TV in Seattle switched to atsc 3.0 and reworked its subchannels radically, increasing from the original two subchannels to seven, many of them in full 1080. There hasn't been any press release as of yet, and there's been nothing as to the other Tegna stations in the Pacific Northwest in Portland OR or Spokane WA. As this station group is currently being hawked for sale, I wonder if any of the other stations around the country have made the switch.

One would think some press release would be forthcoming; the station completed its frequency repack a while back, moving from uhf 48 to 25. That was a pretty radical switch requiring a new transmitter and antenna array, and it seems they went all in.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Who can see the new feed? ATSC 3.0 tuners are not common.

3. Rob Williams

Rob Williams New Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I have a second home in Olympia. I'm here every two or three months or so, for a month or two at a time. Thanks to the advice from folks on the forum at TVFool.com many years ago, I bought a large TV antenna and have been enjoying OTA for many years. I've received all four major networks (CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS, and NBC) for many years. In the past four months or so, I have not been able to tune in KING-TV from Seattle (virtual channel 5.1). There's just no signal there at all. I have done my research, and the KING-TV broadcast antenna seems to be the same one (or mounted at the same site) as ABC (4.1) and CBS (7.1). Would anyone know why I am not getting the KING-TV signal? Do I need a new ATSC 3.0 tuner to receive the KING-TV signal, or should I still get the KING-TV signal with my old antenna and tuner setups (HDHomeRun, a couple of HDTVs with ATSC tuners). Yes, I have rescanned several times.

4. BLueSS

BLueSS New Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Not sure. I still receive KING-TV just fine after the repack.

What are the additional 5 channels?

I suspect there's no press release because the official word is that ATSC 3 is still "coming soon" for the Seattle area.

5. Rob Williams

Rob Williams New Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Hi BLueSS: Do you still get KING-TV on channels 5.1, 5.2, etc? I realize that these are the virtual channels but believe that after rescanning, my TVs should get KING-TV on channels 5.1, 5.2 etc still. Thanks!

6. BLueSS

BLueSS New Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Yes! They are still on 5.1, 5.2, 5.3.

Do you have an amplifier in use, or anything to help your signal? You're about 50 miles (depending on where in Olympia) from the antennas, so if you're getting KOMO-4, I'd be surprised as well. You're not in a great location for OTA.

7. Rob Williams

Rob Williams New Member

Jun 15, 2020
    My antenna is a big one and dtvmaps shows I am 39 miles from the KING, KOMO, and KIRO antennas. I forget the exact model, but yes, it's big and it took a while to get right. It worked for years without an amplifier (I tried an RCA but it did worse than just the antenna and required me to install it outside by the antenna, a PITA), but in recent years I've had a Mohu Jolt amplifier in the house right before the Electroline ED2400 splitter. I usually get all four major networks with any tides over 4 feet or so. I'm getting KOMO and KIRO right now and it's a 2.2 foot tide. Thanks! Hey, just realized that I should try it without the Mohu Jolt amplifier (but it has worked wonders in my other house).

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Try doing a rescan for channels, then take out the amp and try rescanning.

9. Rob Williams

Rob Williams New Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Yep, tried this about three times over the past few days. I get 4.1, 7.1, 9.1, 11.1, 13.1 (the main broadcast channels); all except 5.1 KING-TV. There's nothing there that my antenna can see. And it used to pick up 5.1 just fine.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Are they simulcasting ATSC 1 and ATSC3 ? If not I'm not sure WHERE you can find a consumer ATSC3 tuner right now.
    Edit -
    Ok - I just did a Google search for ATSC3 tuner, and it found one article that had a system -for $2000 - $3000 (as they stated - prosumer). That article also stated that simulcasting ATSC1 and ATSC3 is required. So the issue is what does TV Fool have to say about your location and that station (the ATSC1 version) RIGHT NOW ?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  11. zmarty

zmarty New Member

Nov 18, 2020
  12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There are no stations broadcasting NextGen TV in Seattle Washington. Further, it will be years before any stations in the US are allowed to "switch" to NextGen TV.

I suspect that the TS was misinterpreting something.

You'll know when NextGen TV arrives in your area as you'll be bombarded with advice about re-scanning your channels when the DTV stations shuffle around to make room for NextGen TV.

The FCC decided that no additional TV channels will be made available to provide for NextGen TV so the stations are having to move channels around to make room.

According to an article on the TVTechnology.com website, KING and KONG are planning to move their DTV signals to RF25 and KONG (RF31) will be carrying the NextGen TV versions sometime next month.