First time Direct Customer w/Question on obtaining Multiple HR20's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lionsrule, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lionsrule

lionsrule Godfather

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi there,

Long Time Dishnetwork Customer here. I'm considering switching to direct because they now offer locals in HD here in west michigan. (dish does NOT). Also, even though it's a ways off and it is speculation right now, it sure does appear as though direct will offer far more "compelling" HD than dish (sorry dish, but voom channels are crap). Anyways...........I currently OWN 2 622 receivers (HD/DVR) which I can sell for around $400/ea. I'm not thrilled that you have to lease the HR20's but oh well.

No matter what site I use to sign up for direct as a 1st time customer, it becomes apparent that I can only order ONE hr20. I want THREE. Any suggestions as to how to make that happen?

I realize that I can purchase addition units at retail or online, but I want the install order to have the correct amount of install ROOMS to be correct right off the bat. For example: I want service in 4 rooms, so I'm assuming that a switch will have to be included in the install. If I only sign up for one hr20 and nothing else, I'm afraid I'll be left screwed If I proved the other 2 hr20's on my own.

What has everyone else done in this situation? ALSO.....

Have any of you received a deal on multiple hr20 leases? I see that I would be looking at $199 for the 1st one. Any chance that direct would provide 3 hr20's at the $199/ea price point?

Open to all suggestions and experiences....

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Call DirecTV... their prices are the same as any online vendor.

As for getting a deal on #2 and #3... probably $199 would be best you are going to do on those.

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
  4. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I actually got 2 HR20's for free with new dish install .

5. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    WHen??

Over the last couple of months is what I/we were referring too. In Sept. 05 I got both of mine for free as well. Everyone's mileage may vary.

6. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    They've certainly tightened up, but fishing for different answers still seems to work (calling different times and seeing what different people are willing to do for you). You're not an existing customer, so not sure how much they'll do for you. But you are a potential steal from the competitor, so maybe you'll have that angle.

As for the multi-switch, you don't need to get them from D* to get that installed. Just tell them (like I did) how many lines you'll need and they'll make a note for the installer to bring the right multi-switch.

7. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I got them ordered last week and have a install sceduled for the 17th

8. Armathius

Armathius Cool Member

Feb 7, 2007
    When I was working on getting my upgrade to the HR-20 I was told I could buy the receiver outright. It would have cost $799 (someone correct me if I am wrong on the price). The $299 lease program puts the HR-20 at a much more appealing price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.