1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Five billionth device to plug into Internet

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by phrelin, Aug 17, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From the San Francisco Chronicle:
    Gee, the world's population is around 6,863,017,070. Soon we're going to have more devices on the internet than people.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It makes total sense. There are two people in my house, and I have 12 devices not including the router connected to my network, all but one (my wifi printer) can access the net.

But this is also why we're running out of IP addresses, even though there are plenty of companies with only a few with external IP addresses.

3. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    I had to stop and think. Three of us at home and 13 devices that currently connect to the net (not counting router and dsl modem):

Desktops - 3
    SmartPhones - 2
    Notebook - 1
    Netbook - 1
    Nettop (htpc) - 1
    Server - 1
    DVR - 1
    Wii - 1
    DSi - 1
    BluRay - 1

I can count a couple more recently retired devices as well. Upgraded my smartphone last month and earlier this year I swapped out the HDDvd player. So that's two more that counted toward the 5 billion number (as well as a half dozen prior computers).

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    In my home today, I assign on a regular basis over 30 IP addresses to devices that are on my network.

And on some days/weeks, that can get upwards to 50+ (when friends and family are over)

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    But fear not, IPv6 is all ready for us, and if you're using anything near current hardware you won't have a problem transitioning to it.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I haven't really looked much at IPv6, but there's no way I can remember a v6 IP address.

7. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Let's see.....
    1 - cable modem
    2 - Droid phones (4 when the kids are home)
    That's what we have on the WAN.

On the LAN side, there's lots of stuff. ;)