Fixed wireless internet & Dtv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by orbit626, Dec 24, 2019.

1. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    Sorry if wrong forum to post this....

Anyone have any experience with using fixed wireless internet and Dtv?
    I currently have Viasat (served me well actually, other than $$/on demand) and while I can connect my HR54/500 & HR24/100 to the internet with it, on demand has, for whatever reason, never worked. It just will not play anything. No one has been able to figure it out over the years :neutral:.
    Using my phone as a hotspot works, but thats not really an option for me.

At&t fixed wireless is available here now (have a tech coming friday to check if I can actually get a signal), so I hope I can get it because it's much cheaper and a heck of a lot more data per month than Viasat. Internet options at my house are beyond limited, lol

I know there can be NAT issues due to how fixed wireless works, so I'm curious if anyone here has any "hands on" info.

Also, is it possible to just have the HR24 connected? We have whole home. It's just that that reciever would be the main one for on demand.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    wired-wifi-compare.png As you can see it's better to have a wired network than a wireless network.

3. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    Yep, wired is always better, and the gateway they will install if I can get a signal has four ethernet ports on it, so I'd be connecting the recievers that way. Same as with Viasat, but as stated, that has never worked, lol

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What speed were you getting from Viasat?

Rich

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Satellite internet is also more expensive than cable or fiber internet providers. And has severe data cap restrictions. Making it unsuitable for DIRECTV VOD Cinema services.

Curious, is this going to be a 5G wireless service?

And while I certainly know the IT definition of "NAT" (or "Network Address Translation"), what do you mean by it here previously?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Maybe Viasat blocks Directv's on demand stuff? If they didn't they'd probably have a lot of customers who have Viasat & Directv/Dish and play on demand content not realizing it uses their data and get an ugly surprise when they get their next Viasat bill.

7. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    I paid for the 25 Mbps package, and I regularly got 32-35 Mbps, but I dropped down to the 12 mbps plan to save money, and I average around 10 now. Which ironically, is the bottom speed At&t told me I'd have to reach on the fixed wireless, or they wont install it.

Not a 5G install, but i wish it was! As for the NAT, I mentioned it because from what I have read on numerous sites is that with the fixed wireless, you are stuck with a strict NAT, and cannot change it without doing stuff thats beyond my capabilities, lol. Not really sure if it matters or not when it comes to on demand with Dtv.