Flaky HWS operation

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by xfoneguy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. xfoneguy

xfoneguy Mentor

Feb 1, 2006
    I'm really getting quite tired of fighting one problem after another with Dish. I only "jumped ship" because of the lure of all the "cool new hardware".

The latest: I have 3 programs set up to record (most all issues with the HWS seem to center around trying to use all the tuners).
    Anyway, program #1 starts at 9pm, #2 at 9:05, #3 at 9:10 (what are the chances???)

#'s 2 & 3 seem to be recording fine and have the proper indications on the various screens.
    #1 however - major probs.
    Program Guide: shows red circle
    "Red Button": shows "watching" (but not recording)
    "My Recordings" shows absolutely zilch.
    While in program guide and watching this program (and already showing red circle as though recording) I press the record button and get a message to "press again for record options" (which of course does nothing).
    In the end, of course nothing has been recorded.

As usual, hitting the red button will make life sweet again - until probably tomorrow, when (and if) I want to record 3 programs at the same time - the whole thing repeats.

This normally happens at least a few times a week.

Has anyone else experienced this? Watching TV is more like work these days! (And I haven't even touched my wife's opinion of what we should be doing with Dish!!!)

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What channels? If these are during primetime, do you also have PTAT enabled?

Were you having any signal issues in the area? Do you know if you are on western (110/119/129) or eastern (61.5/72.7/77) arc?

3. xfoneguy

xfoneguy Mentor

Feb 1, 2006
    I do not have PTAT enabled. Channels are all over the place:

A&E
    TLC
    ID
    TRUTV
    OXYGEN
    SPIKE
    CMT

Do you see anything that I don't?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you go into the "Check Switch" section of the menu, does your receiver report any errors? Sometimes this kind of problem can happen when there is a signal problem on one tuner but not the others... and that could be something as simple as a cabling problem or as complex as hardware failure pending.