Florida St v BYU on Versus HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by IndyMichael, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I read that DirecTV and Versus might, emphasis on might, come to an agreement to allow that game to be shown. It would be a fun game to see, so I hope it happens.

2. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Have a link to the story?

3. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Guess not.

4. dsp81

dsp81 Mentor

Apr 11, 2008
  5. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    That is the quote I read or heard yesterday. Thanks for finding the article, dsp81.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_13361568

6. Baldmaga

Baldmaga Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    Just some posturing. Nobody will get to see this game on Directv.

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Correct Comcast won't gain anything other than some ad revenue just for this game by allowing it. DirecTV already stated they were willing to continue the channel through the negotiation and Comcast pulled it. Comcast's goal at this point is to make subs bleed out so that DirecTV feels the need to sign it to stop the loss. Doing this would be against that goal.

8. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Comcast is delusional, as usual.

9. tnnolman

tnnolman Cool Member

Aug 9, 2009
    There is pne side(or) 2 sides of the coin of this issue. Here in Nashville I have seen The comcast trucks come by my neighborhood the last 5 days and I have seen some people have their dish or directv service(mostly Directv) turned off mostly because. 1)They want to get the Triple Play or, 2 ) could it be that want to get back the Verus channel in their house. Mostly maybe it is proably number 2. I also got one those flyers in the mail about wanting me coming back to comcast becuse of this verus spat w/DTV. But, you know what freezes over if I went w/comcast,that means NO SPORTSSOUTH or NFL SUNDAY TICKET. well, I will listen to the BYU-Noles game on Satellite tadio anyway.

10. teebeebee1

teebeebee1 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    There is absolutely no way anyone is leaving Directv because of VS, it's an annoyance but it's such a niche channel there is no chance Directv will come out hurt financially by this, Versus on the other hand.......

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

Actually I'm sure they will be impacted by loss. The key though is how little that loss is compared to their national number. Look at Dish networks subscriber charts. For a year and a quarter they lost subscribers but on the chart it's a minor change. I'd say it's safe to say that less then .5% will disconnect over VS however that is about 90k subscribers.

It will have an impact but not enough to make DirecTV just cave and pay whatever. Large companies always have people run numbers to see which one will cost more.

12. tnnolman

tnnolman Cool Member

Aug 9, 2009
    you are correct about Echostar/Dish network's churn rate. when a customer moves over to another provider. It maks the churn rate much higher or lower. That is the problem w/Dish. what i am saying is that some or many few homes that are going from Directv to comcast is because many people cannot afford to pay a high price. But you will still miss SPSO OR any NFL ST Because of switching over to any cable system (Comcast,Insight,cox,etc.) It is a dumb move for some to do that.

13. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.