"focus on life-time value of subscribers"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirectMan, Oct 22, 2020.

1. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I read this note from today's financial results regarding "Premium Video". I wonder what that means - does it mean they will be more willing to provide discounts to long time customers? Inquiring minds want to know.

My renewal is up next month so time to call in and request discounts. 15 year customer.

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    LOL No Premium Video is what Directv is. They want people subscribing to Xtra/Ultimate/Premier.. and drive off the discounts and the lower tier packages. Basically your paying alot but your also getting more channels

MysteryMan, krel and Rich like this.
  3. Nov 2, 2020 #3 of 16
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    true you pay more for DTV but yet you get alot more channels. bringing the per capita cost cheaper than a cable co per channel. the only other provider i seen that smokes DTV out of the water would be fios offering 450 channels for 50.00 a month

4. Nov 2, 2020 #4 of 16
    mke

mke Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Fios no longer have 450 channels they drop channels evrey month and dont add channels They did use to have 450 channels

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

5. Nov 2, 2020 #5 of 16
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In this case, it likely means AT&T TV.

Only AT&T can tell you what sweeteners that they'll be willing to offer you and I'd guess that it will likely be based more on how much you're currently paying rather than how long you've been paying it.

6. Nov 9, 2020 #6 of 16
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    what also makes DTV a better deal than cable is the DVR fee is also included in the package pricing as well as the first box is also included. cable would charge for that.. oh yea and there's no gov't fee's with DTV. in my area we only have a sales tax and mines under a buck vs the 16.00 rectrum would get me for..

7. Nov 9, 2020 #7 of 16
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    then why are they still advertising it is a good question then i guess!!! i wouldn't want fios anyways there CSR'S are just as bad as att there in a third would country wich i found shocking and no way in hell would i use frontier i heard the horror stories with them to

8. Nov 9, 2020 #8 of 16
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i am willing to bet if you called in you would get a discount seems like people are getting all kinds of discounts these days!!! i am starting to wonder if there trying to retain subs to keep the books looking good before they off load part of it..

9. Nov 9, 2020 #9 of 16
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    at the rates we pay we should be getting premium customer service to:Do_O

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The cart system does not appear to be revealing the RSN fee. I ran through the steps as a new customer, Choice Package, in a market with a $9.99 fee and the cart showed $69.99 for the first 12 months, $115.00 for the remaining 12 months of the commitment. There is a footnote noting taxes and fees are not included in the pricing shown.

In the past DIRECTV has charged for the first receiver as well as DVR and whole home fees. Existing customers pay what they agreed to when they signed up (or added DVR/whole home if they have been customers that long). The current offer is "All Included" - The $115 regular price more than covers the DVR fees and first receiver fees charged separately under previous offers.

11. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I wish they would just cancel the accounts of people like you. Either pay the stated price, or go find something else. How long you have been a customer has nothing to do with anything.

MysteryMan and compnurd like this.
  12. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    I admire people like you. Do you pay sticker price for a vehicle, do you deny sales prices in favor of paying full price? Providers like DIRECTV have created an environment where they will reward existing customers by providing discounts rather than losing them to competitors. Other providers do that as well, including some cable companies, SiriusXM, etc.

If you choose to waste your money and not look for better deals, that is your choice. Good luck. I will continue to get the best deals on the products and services that I care to consume.

I have saved about $5,000 total over the past 5 years ($60 per month discount for 5 years = $3,600, plus free NFL ST and other miscellaneous programming discounts) from DIRECTV. Do I feel bad? No. Do I think your sticker price approach is better? No.

DIRECTV is a business, with a goal of making a nice profit. If they can't afford it they won't provide discounts. I will take the $5k in my pocket and be happy for having it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    He probably does. He also shops 100% at B&M so he can pay the sales tax. I bet he also keeps all of his money in a Bank Of America account that pays 0.01% interest as anything more would be unethical for him to accept. And of course, no 401k!!! Those are un American as you are cheating the government out of taxes. :D

jw_rally likes this.
  14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I pay taxes on online purchases. Years ago I dealt with companies that didn't charge for out of state purchases but the companies I deal with have agreed to charge taxes nationwide (where sales taxes exist).

It would be nice if AT&T|DIRECTV's stated prices were better and people didn't have to play the "ask for a discount" game (with some losing). The company is bleeding millions of customers who either can't get the discount they want or don't want to fight. AT&T|DIRECTV is making it easier to choose another provider.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Another aspect that DIRECTV has been mucking up for years is the occasional change in pricing structure (from "Advanced Equipment Fees" to paying for the first receiver). First there were DVR fees and then there were HD fees and then came Whole Home fees. That was followed by Advanced Technology (Receiver and DVR) fees and more recently two or three distinct versions of "all-included". Making some fees mandatory (like the Whole Home fee) even if you had a lone DVR has always been a slap in the face.

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My two cents, no one is forced to using DIRECTV. It's a choice you made. You chose DIRECTV to be your satellite TV service provider. You chose the package or packages you subscribe to. You knew what the cost of those packages would be when you decided to subscribe to them as well as what the cost of the equipment fees and service charges would be. When you signed up with DIRECTV you knew about the "newbie" discounts and freebies you would be getting but you also knew they would not last forever. But you don't want to pay the full price for everything you chose. That said you have three choices, ask for another discount (which you may or may not get), tighten you belt and subscribe to a lower tier package or take your business elsewhere. Stop your bellyaching.

TheRatPatrol likes this.