For Dish Tv is it normal to not have full screen on some channels?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Abe12, Nov 21, 2020 at 10:53 PM.

1. Abe12

Abe12 New Member

Jun 11, 2020
    There are quite a few channels in the dish tv lineup where I don't get full picture on my smart tv. I have to go into options and zoom which fills the picture up but picture clarity isn't as good.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if the source was shoot in 4:3 ratio, then yes;
    have pictures to post here ?

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    It is most likely to occur on channels or shows that were shot / displayed in 4:3 format. Many of the "netlets" (MeTV 247 as one example) are like this, or if you watch the SD versions of channels.

What you do with them is your choice, but I prefer for them to be shown / displayed in the original form. IOW - I don't care for the blown up / out that you're talking about.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's not something that is unique to DISH. You'll find that on any service that offers standard definition programming. You would have to ask the content providers why they are still offering SD channels but I suspect that it is because they don't want to pay to have the content recaptured in HD (assuming a film version is available).

Some TVs handle the conversion better than others but in the end, they're filling in a lot of missing information. If you bought a bargain TV, perhaps you got what you paid for.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not unique to DISH ... but they are one of the services that will take a HD feed and retransmit it in letterbox or squish the picture to fit a 4:3 window. I prefer the "squish" since I can stretch that to wide. Stretching a postage stamp letterbox in pillarbox to fill the screen is also possible but there are less active pixels on the screen at the start of the process.

One thing we customers can do is make sure we are watching the HD feeds - when available. That drastically reduces the number of SD channels on the system.