1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For new customers: do they force the DHPP on you?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by todbnla, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todbnla

todbnla Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    39466 Deep...
    I just noticed my first month's and next months bill shows the DHPP @ $5.99 a month which I chose not to get, but low and behold their on my bill :mad: , do they force these things on new customers, even if you opted not to get it? :confused:

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    They usually give you DHPP for free for a year, which would show 5.99 and then a -5.99 adjustment.

3. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    If I read my contract right, in exchange for a two year agreement I get DHPP free for the first 9 months (using the credit format as RasputinAXP showed ).

4. todbnla

todbnla Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    39466 Deep...
    Yeah thats fine but I did not get the 2 year deal, I hate contracts!

5. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Call and cancel it, then. I don't think it's part of a contract.

This isn't aimed at you in particular, but does anybody actually call and talk to Dish about things instead of coming here for an answer first? We may all have great knowledge about certain things Dish, but they have the final word about this type of thing.

6. todbnla

todbnla Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    39466 Deep...
    I already cancelled it via the website but my first 2 months bill still showed it so I did call and talked to someone who was nice but likely from the Philippines (guessing!) and she said she corrected the issue, but my bill still shows two months of this charge....

7. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Yeah, call Dish and see what they say first.....it could have simply been an error that could be handled over the phone.

8. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    I may just keep mine. I have the 9 free months, so I'll wait to decide. But since I have the Absolute package, I hate to change anything... it's worth $6/mo. to make sure I keep it!

9. quizzer

quizzer Icon

Aug 29, 2006
    Can someone tell me whts DHPP and why is it necessary?

10. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    DHPP - Digital Home Protection Plan. $5.99 per month fee to extend warrenty on your equipment, and to cover (I think) installer fees.

11. DishSatUser

DishSatUser AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    Got it free on 24 month committment as a new subscriber (also waived activation fee). The only point is that it explains that you need to cancel the service after the free year or it'll continue but at the 5.99 rate.

12. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    It covers equipment and reduces the cost of service calls to $29.00.

13. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    It's odd you LEASE the equipment, you do not own it, and the charge you $6.00/mo. to make sure it stays running.... but it does beat having to buy new equipment if it fails... pretty much the same as insurance you have to buy when you lease a car.

I only got 9 months free with my 24 month commit, I guess they have different freebies each month. So it's costing me $90 for 2 years worth of not having to worry about equipment failing (or free upgrades to next generation of equipment).

14. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    It makes service calls $29 dollars instead of $99 dollars and covers shipping on replacement receivers and remotes. It WILL NOT cover upgrades to next gen equipment. The best thing to do it to add it when you need it then drop it the next month, this is allowed and you can only pay for it when you need it.

15. Sat Monkey

Sat Monkey Cool Member

May 25, 2008
    With the DHPP you get discounted service calls,and low or no cost receiver exchanges should something go wrong with it.

You get one year if the receiver fails, and dish net will replace it at no cost.
    After that it kinda depends on how or why it failed for dish net to replace the receiver.

With the DHPP you pay around 29 bucks for a service call and just the freight to return a bad receiver.
    Along with that it covers the LNB for the same freight.

Not having it can lead to shelling out a couple hundred bucks or more to replace a receiver, and anywhere from 60 to 80 dollars for an LNB.

Kind of a good idea to have it , but I see lots of customers not get it and end up tring to get their home owners insurance to cover costs for lightning strikes and other "acts of god".

A 500 dollar deductible is a bit pricey for a new receiver.

If you do take a strike, pray it fries tvs and computers ect. just to cover the insurance deductible.

I might be a little off on some of the facts, but that how I understand how the DHPP works.

Please correct me if Im wrong on any point.

Monkey

16. todbnla

todbnla Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    39466 Deep...
    It is off my bill now so I am happy, but don't get me wrong, it wasnt an issue about it being a good service or not, when I signed up online and spoke to the CSR I opted NOT to have this and low and behold, their it is on my first 2 months bills. All good now, thanks.

17. wh5916

wh5916 Cool Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Yes...happy now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.