1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For your amusement, my 61.5 dish installation

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mark Lamutt, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    In the Voom channels thread, I mentioned that I moved my dish pointing at 148 to a new location and pointed it at 61.5 so that I could see the new former Voom channels tonight (or tomorrow).

Here's 3 pictures of my new install. The pole is a 6' steel 1-5/8" diameter fence post that I picked up at Home Depot, along with a 4 pound sledge hammer. I pounded the post into the ground, so that it's buried about 2 feet. Amazingly enough, I was almost perfectly plumb after the burial process. I then had to take a hacksaw to cut off the top of the now-mangled post, but once that was done, I was able to slide the dish onto the top of the pole.

Now, I don't consider this a permanent install because the post isn't secured in concrete. But, it's good enough for now. You'll see in the picture that the LNB is sitting right next to the fence. The pole driven into the ground is pretty secure by itelf, but I also cable tied the LNB arm to the fence as well, to keep the dish from moving around very much. In this configuration, I'm getting a signal strength of 80 (measured on my 942 and 921) from 61.5 Transponder 2. The best that I could previously do at 61.5 was 49, so I'm pretty happy with it.

You can see in the pictures where my Dish500 is installed, and you can see the other mast where this dish was until I pulled it down yesterday. I'm getting a 24" dish on Monday, which will go back onto that mast pointed back at 148.

Fun project, done in the falling snow yesterday! :D

Attached Files:

2. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    that looks like my fence :D

(nice quality pics btw)

3. Tom in TX

Tom in TX Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    What happened to the snow? Already gone?
    Tom in TX

4. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Why not put all 3 on that awning? 148 on the left, pointing west, D500 in the middle pointing south, and 61.5 on the right? Judging from the angle of the 61.5 dish on that ground pole, it looks like it would work fine on that awning, with the roof not being in the way. Worst case, put an extension on the mount to raise it up a foot or so.

It's nice having all dishes in a central location. It'll save a you a mondo cable run, too.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I hope your next-door neighbor isn't paranoid. Here's my 61.5 along with everything else except the extended dipole for the scanner.

Attached Files:

6. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    The snow was melting as fast as it was falling in the Denver area. It's snowing again right now.

garypen - I had originally tried to mount it on the awning - that's why I put it there in the first place, but my neighbor's tree was right in the way. Best signal I could get through the tree was 49. Where it is now is literally the only place in my back yard area (including roof) that I have LOS to 61.5.

7. foxdvd

foxdvd New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    So you had it at 148 before? All you had to to was move it to the 61.5 sat. After moving it, what else did you have to do to get it to lock on the 61.5....also, what about you program guide, did it download all the stuff for the 61.5 ok?

8. goaliebob99

goaliebob99 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jan 29, 2005
    just my observation... that tree your pointed into could be why your getting an 80 and not anything higher...

9. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    foxdvd - yes I had it installed on the empty mast on my awning before I moved it, and it was pointed at 148. Just had to aim it right, and then fine tune it to get it pointed right. I had a little tv and my 942 out on my porch to do the aiming.

goaliebob99 - if you're talking about the bush, the dish actually points to the right of it, plus my look angle is 26 degrees, so it's also shooting above it (slightly).

Here's a couple of pictures of the snow falling. This is about the way it was falling yesterday as well when I was out working in it.

Attached Files:

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Another degree to the south and you'd be swearing at your pole placement. How close is the LNB to touching that fence? :D

JL

11. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah, I lucked out with that one, JL. I was pretty concerned until I actually got the LNB on there and aimed. The LNB is about a half inch from the fence. :D

If it did need to be another degree south, I would have had to pull the post out and move it a little bit.

12. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Mark.. .you better get that camera looked at by a repair person. There appears to be snow in the pictures. :lol:

13. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    A non-satellite question. What's that odd looking box on your roof? An A/C unit?

14. UT_Texan

UT_Texan Mentor/Supporter

Dec 9, 2004
    Sorry to tell you but that is your monitor! :lol: :lol: :D

15. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    That's my swamp (evaporative) cooler.

16. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Figures. That's about how my luck has been going lately. :lol:

17. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    26 degress isn't too bad. I have to hit the 119 at 28 degrees out here. Now, I HAVE nailed the 148 out here, and it's at 6-7 degrees......try that one.

18. cedarpoint

cedarpoint New Member

May 1, 2005
    Okay, I have Legacy LNBs one is on my dish 500 which is a Twin, the other is on a regular dish 300 which is a dual.

I have the Dish 300 installed and am hitting well over 115 at the 61.5 slot, and at present no receivers are connected.

The Dish 500 runs my 811 and 510PVR.

I only want to receive the 61.5 on the 811 receiver, can I just use an SW-21 switch and make this work???

Does it matter exactly where in the line the SW-21 is located, does it need to be at the dish, or can I have it anywhere in the line, the reason I ask is because I had a Legacy QUAD at one time and the cabeling is all still in the house, my easiest location fot the switch would be closer to the 811.

Thanks

19. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes. You connect one of your twin lines, and a line from the 61.5 dish to the SW21 wherever it's convenient.

20. cedarpoint

cedarpoint New Member

May 1, 2005
    One last thing, if I would ever go back to the quad LNB in the future, would it still work the same as with the twin. I am guessing I will have to run a test switch either way to make it work, is that correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.