Former DTV customer, finally considering other options.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by JPStokes, Sep 23, 2020.

1. JPStokes

JPStokes New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    I kicked DirecTV out of my house a few years ago. I've been streaming and OTAing it since then. I dumped DTV when I upgraded to the HR54, which took some work, I had the protection plan that stated I would get the latest equipment, I didn't. A complaint to the BBB and DTV called me and I said send me a HR54.. It worked fine the first day, then it updated itself overnight and it started constantly harassing me to add the internet. Well....it is satellite based and I didn't want the Net hooked up to it. The ETF was expensive.

Now does Dish require the Internet? If it doesn't, will the receiver start harassing me for a connection?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You should have either internet or a phone line connected, but I don't think it is absolutely required. They use that for PPV ordering and confirming you are there. There are features that you won't have without internet.

ericknolls likes this.
  3. sparky27

sparky27 Member

Jun 25, 2019
    We have had Dish for around 14 months and we just got internet a couple months ago. No you do not have to have internet to watch tv or DVR. The guide and setting DVR recordings works fine without internet. There are about 10 video on demand channels you can order PPV from without internet and some more channels that do continuous all day PPV as well.

Now what you can't do without internet is restart a movie you missed the beginning of and watch video on demand.

Th only time my Hopper Duo ever asked for internet connection was when you tried to do something internet related such as hit the On Demand button.