1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Matt Erdman, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Matt Erdman

Matt Erdman New Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Long story short, I am unable to get any FOX, ABC, NBC and CBS channels. I get that I'm out of the area where my current address is attached to but is there anything I can do to get these channels?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Short answer, unless you have DNS channel service. No ...

Longer answer, we really can't comment further on this topic on this forum to help you as it is against your subscriber TOS to receive DIRECTV in Canada.

And a moderator here will immediately lock this thread if anyone attempts to help you.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

3. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Don't most Canadian cable systems offer the US networks (I know they do in Toronto - IIRC, they use Buffalo's locals)?

4. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    they also the local WGN feed with all of the Chicago only stuff.

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yes, and it's actually in the lowest locals only package for nearly every provider. However, if a local Canadian broadcast station airs the same show at the same time, the US feed is simsubed and you see the Canadian network's broadcast instead. It must be the same production though, so NHL on NBC can't be simsubbed by Hockey Night on CBC, even if they are showing the same game.

Depending on your area, your main package includes one of the Big 4's + PBS corresponding to your time zone, and an addon package lets you get the ones from another time zone along with Canadian channels from another timezone. For cable it's usually the city closest to you, for satellite it varies between Bell (ex-ExpressVu) and Shaw (ex-Star Choice). Canada can do it because thanks to consolidation, the networks own nearly all of their affiliates and the network programs the entire day except local news, as opposed to the US where we have competing owners and network programming is mostly limited to primetime, while everything else is syndicated and varies in each market.

ABC:
    WCVB/Boston, WKBW/Buffalo, WVNY/Binghamton, WXYZ/Detroit, WJET/Erie, KSTP/Minneapolis, KXLY/Spokane, KOMO/Seattle
    CBS:
    WBZ/Boston, WIVB/Buffalo, WCAX/Burlington, WWJ/Detroit, WSEE/Erie, WTOL/Toledo, WCCO/Minneapolis, KREM/Spokane, KIRO/Seattle
    NBC:
    WBTS/Boston, WGRZ/Buffalo, WPTZ/Burlington, WDIV/Detroit, WCIU/Erie, KARE/Minneapolis, KHQ/Spokane, KING/Seattle
    Fox:
    WFXT/Boston, WUTV/Buffalo, WFFF/Burlington, WJBK/Detroit, WFTC/Minneapolis, KAYU/Spokane, KCPQ/Tacoma, WUHF/Rochester
    PBS:
    WGBH/Boston, WNED/Buffalo, WETK/Burlington, WTVS/Detroit, WQLN/Erie, KSPS/Spokane, KCTS/Seattle

The "Superstations" are also available on most providers as an addon using the actual local feeds and not the national feeds, although not all providers offer all of them:
    KSTW Seattle (grandfathered because it was a regional superstation in the early days of cable)
    KTLA Los Angeles
    KWGN Denver
    WGN Chicago
    WPCH Atlanta (ex-WTBS)
    WPIX NYC
    WSBK Boston
    WUAB Cleveland (grandfathered because it was a regional superstation in the early days of cable)
    WWOR NYC

WHDH/Boston is also grandfathered on the list of approved US signals since the CRTC never removed it from the list after they lost their NBC affiliation.

There's also an exemption from the CRTC that allows stations from bordering cities not on the approved list if the cable company is within range of the OTA signal. (i.e. Rogers in Toronto also carries WNLO and WNYO from Buffalo).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Gary Toma likes this.
  6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Where is the original poster located at? If you are with DirecTV and cant get them in your base package, you should qualify to at least apply for DNS feeds.