1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX HD NFL Games Not Carried By ST-SF

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 1948GG, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Over at least the past couple of years, while CBS has been in the rear in carrying game in HD (improved a bit every year including this one), FOX has been 100% HD for at least 2 years now.

In a couple of instances, there have been games that were listed on the FOX NFL web site as being in HD, but weren't available on ST-SF. I should have kept a better record, but in those couple of cases those game weren't carried by my local FOX affiliate, so there was no way I could completely verify.

Not so today. The Seahawk/Cardinals game, a 4pm (ET) game, was (is as I write this!) in HD on my local Seattle affiliate (KCPQ), yet NOT, repeat NOT, listed or carried by DirecTV Sunday Ticket Super Fan in any way, shape, or form (except SD of course!).

This is NOT a bandwidth 'issue', as it's a 4PM (ET) game, where there are far fewer games than at 1PM (ET). So, I've caught them... not carrying a game!

Any ideas as to why? Beyond the usual 'stupid people at FOX/DirecTV?'

Now, folks in the local Seattle DMA with the Ka/Mpeg4 locals, no biggie (that's what I'm watching right now). OUTSIDE of that local area..... or with older Ku/Mpeg2 only HD equipment, and PAYING for ST-SF, is a completely different animal.

2. DufferEA

DufferEA AllStar

Aug 29, 2006
    Well put ...As being from Bellingham, Seattle is our home team..
    At the cost of sunday ticket it ticks me off toooo

3. BGreen965

BGreen965 Legend

Aug 12, 2007
    The game was not in HD but actually in SD Widescreen which is why it was not carried on ST.

4. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Fox is not 100% HD, they do 6 games in HD and anything more in Fox Widescreen SD. Depending on the source (component vs. composite) it can look very close to HD.

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually this could still be a bandwidth issue, albeit a poor one to let that be the full issue. The late games still require reserved bandwidth to send the signals to the away team's home region during the time that the early games are running. So I could see Fox or CBS doing SD for a short time IF the early games don't free up bandwidth in time for the late starts. Then switching to HD as soon as possible.

Cheers,
    Tom

6. Old Guy

Old Guy AllStar

Aug 9, 2007
    It's SD Widescreen. I'm watching KCPQ off the satellite.
    The picture isn't anywhere near it would be in HD.

When they go into the studio at half-time, see if the picture changes.

7. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    All Fox's games are not HD, but a very high percentage of them are. Last year all games weren't, usually wound up being Cardinals games for the most part. It might not be a bandwidth problem, Networks got to have multiple HD cameras to film the games. This year there will be a higher % of games in HD than last year. There was a thread about this a few months ago. Maybe next year the % will be higher.

8. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Correct, if you check the schedule at HDSportsGuide, you'll see that the Seattle-Arizona game is not in HD. It seems some people can't tell the difference between HD and SD.

9. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

It's the usual people out there who can't tell the difference between HD and SD.

10. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Yup. I can tell the diff. Watching it OTA HD. I expected to watch it in HD but it most definitely is NOT HD, just wide screen SD.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Seattle game is NOT in HD. It's in SD Widescreen which is 480p. Fox can only do 6 games a week in HD. Seattle game is the 7th.

12. BGreen965

BGreen965 Legend

Aug 12, 2007
    Actually the game is NOT in 480p...It is shot in widescreen 480i and then upconverted to 720p for distribution.

13. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007

This is 'fine and dandy' then. I watched the complete 'telecast' from beginning to end, it was 'promoed' as 'HD', was shown in something pretty similar to HD, many of the commercials were in 'HD', the pre and post game was in 'HD'.

Now, nowhere was ANY explanation by either FOX or the local station that the 'presentation' was 'upconverted', 'widescreen', or some kind of 'HD-Lite' (to use terms that folks here seem to like).

NOWHERE. So, what we're talking about is FRAUD, pure and simple. No wonder the 'general public' thinks (in pretty high numbers) that HD and the digital conversion is a bunch of hooey.

And, not to change the subject, but to merely echo the comments of some here, in regards to the 'new' 'HD' channels, how many of them will be 'upconverted', 'widescreen', 'HD-Lite', etc.?

Quite frankly, What A Mess!!

14. Old Guy

Old Guy AllStar

Aug 9, 2007
    The guide never said it was in HD. None of the commercials were in HD.
    KCPQ is always 720, regardless.

BFD

15. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    That is totally incorrect. Almost ALL of the commercials were in what appeared to be HD, and TONS of things not listed on the guide as 'HD' are indeed HD.

What is the LEGAL definition of HD? Not even the FCC has one, they point to the 18 ATSC 'digital' signal types, not HD.

Again, what a mess!!!

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Dude, it was not in HD, period. Fox cannot do 7 games in HD, period. Calm down and just accept it, it was not HD. If a game is in HD, DirecTV will carry it. In fact this week there are less games in HD at the same time as there are more afternoon games. They didn't even can TNTHD this week cause they had plenty of room.

Anyway, have fun with your rant.

17. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

If you can't tell the difference between HD and SD, then what difference does it make? Just pretend all of the programs are in HD.

18. Boleyc

Boleyc Legend

Mar 5, 2007
    I live in the NW as well, and the game was definitely broadcast in widescreen SD, not HD.

19. jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
  20. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.