1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX News SD now Letterboxed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Terry K, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Terry K

Terry K Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    For those of you who detest letterboxed programming, get used to it.

FOX News says NO to center cutting and is now letterboxing its whole SD feed in 16:9 format!

Frankly, its about time someone steps up and gets rid of center cutting. It really degrades the product and really just doesn't look right.

Here's the article about it.. http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/355467-FNC_Pushes_Widescreen.php?rssid=20065

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I was wondering when this would happen. I have disliked the center safe viewing with HD as you see nothing on the edges. Now FNC is doing the right thing, it's the normal progression to 24/7 HD. I guess I'll have to re-enable the SD version to see what it looks like.

3. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Agree - I noticed this on E!; the day when Chelsea Lately started being shown in HD, they letterbox it on the SD feed. (which is ALL I can get, since neither D* or cable have it in HD here :rolleyes: )

4. pkoutoul

pkoutoul Cool Member

Mar 26, 2008
    I don't watch Fox news but this is a positive development. Hope to see more of it. Stop wasting all that extra space on the edges!

5. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
  6. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I think it looks stupid. The letters on the HD feed are huge now. They're still blurring the edges of SD video which I really hate, makes me feel like I'm drunk.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree that it's the next logical progression. Center cutting was a great idea that kept a lot of older TVs relevant but I look forward to seeing it sunset in the next 2-3 years.

8. concorde1

concorde1 Mentor

May 25, 2007
    Huge is not what i see. I see extremely huge. This sucks.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well, I realize this all part and parcel of the inevitable march toward 16:9 HD for everything and the growing obsolesces of 4:3, so I'll guess like it or not we'll just have to swallow it.

But personally I can accept FNC letter-boxing their SD feed, with one exception . If you are going to use a 16:9 letterbox you should switch to full screen center-cut when displaying up-converted 4:3 material to prevent frame-boxing. Now they are thankfully doing this on 4:3 commercials and some of their promos, but they are not doing so for their 4:3 news clips which means they must insert pillar bars.

So you have a postage stamp sized image in the middle (or to one side for a double-box) for those clips bordered by pillar bars on one side, enlarged graphics and titling eating up screen real estate on the bottom third. And the black matte bar on top of course.

FNC needs to program their AFD to automatically center-cut these 4:3 clips for the SD feed as well.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    It's a positive progression, but hopefully they will tone down the HUGE font. I think the scrolling banner is used way too much to begin with. So now it's taking up 25% of the screen. Time to complain about this as it is quite distracting, more so now than before.

11. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    I was going to ask why they don't just send out a single HD signal... (letterboxing or cutting done on the consumer's TV) but I read the entire article (heh) and it looks like they WILL in 2010 once all their new hardware is deployed.

Can someone post a screenshot?

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    At the bottom of that linked page is a "Contact Us" link.
    Please use it to complain.

This thread brought back my total dislike of ALL channels that use scrolling banners. Huge channel ID logos are also stupid. They are just a distraction to what the talking heads are saying. You notice that the banners are missing during commercials. Why? Because the advertisers don't want the viewer to be distracted from the ad content. Well, guess what? This holds true during the non-commercial content as well. :mad:

But, that may not eliminate the huge banner and font situation.

13. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I have. It looks UGLY!.

I guess they want it to be readable on an iPod.

14. rich67

rich67 Mentor

Mar 11, 2009
    It's about time. I'm sick of all this pandering to 4/3 format.

15. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    I dislike the overuse of the ticker, but I also dislike the overuse of "BREAKING NEWS" taglines and that annoying "BING!" noise it makes every time they cut to a reporter in the field.

I understand that the ticker is WORSE on older TV sets (I have one in my BR) but I think that is a temporary problem, fixed once we all get rid of our old sets. The fact that all the news networks go batty on the sound fx and tickers is more endemic of the culture than anything....

16. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Yet, they still pander by having the graphics and font larger for the 4:3 crowd. :nono:

I'll say it again. All of the crap on the screen needs to go away.

17. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    The huge lettering reminds me of those extra large font books my grandma has

18. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    These are probably all anticipated growing pains I'm sure. I like FNC, I can be patient while they figure it out.

19. looney2ns

looney2ns Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Oooo...the fox news girls in wide screen. :)

20. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    ::drools::