1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX NFLST HD picture quality - continues to be poor

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by wilbur_the_goose, Oct 18, 2009.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I finally have proof that FOX is the issue that's causing relatively poor HD PQ for NFL games..

I'm watching the Vikings/Ravens game today... My wife comments on how good the picture looks compared to what we usually see (FOX) from the Twin Cities.

But the real proof is when CBS shows a FOX highlight of Farve's great TD pass a couple of weeks ago - a game who's video was from FOX. While the FOX replay was definitely HD, it was so poor compared to CBS.

------------
    Baseball's the same too.. The NLCS on TBS is much better than the ALCS on FOX.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Completely the opposite of my observations. Being a Pats fan, I am stuck with CBS most weeks. Watched the Giants/Saints game today, and man, what a difference. Fox is so much better PQ. 720p is just better for football than is 1080i.

3. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    Not to me ,CBS is way better in picture and sound!!

4. kstefanec

kstefanec AllStar

May 13, 2007
    People who can see the difference between 720p and 1080i must have eyes like eagles. I really need lasik. Can you recommend anyone?!?:lol:

5. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    CBS has been known to have superior NFL PQ for years now. It has nothing to do with the 720p vs 1080i. CBS just tends to do a better job and have poured more money into their production.

Also, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Directv and/or NFLST. It has everything to do with the broadcaster (CBS/FOX) and/or local affiliates. The PQ can start as crap from the source (a good example would be the Jaguars/Rams game yesterday) and can also be mangled by a local affiliate (if viewing via a local affiliate) by faulty/inadequate equipment or the overuse of sub channels.

DirecTV is not getting good PQ from CBS or FOX and then turning it to crap. If it's crap PQ...it was crap PQ before DirecTV got it.

6. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    To be fair, my local stations HD feeds are not as strong as the ST feed. For instance when we lost the feed to the skins-kc game -- they switched us over to the Ravens-Vikings game. The HD PQ difference was night and day. It was so obvious that the ST feed had more sharpness, depth and clarity in video and sound over my local station feed of the same game. But IMO CBS has better picture quality and sound than FOX on the ST channels. The only thing I can't stand about CBS game coverage is the constant score updates on the bottom of the screen. At least Fox includes it at the top next to the game score. I don't want to see two bars constantly rolling. CBS even includes the stupid scores during a replay of a play now. It's ridiculous. NBC does it right but they lack CBS's pq.

7. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    What is your local CBS and FOX channel? (call sign)

8. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    Fox is WTTG and CBS is WUSA. I've had ST for years and it has always been this way with superior pq. In fact WTTG barely aired the 1st half of the skins-panthers last week because of issues they claimed had to do with Nielsen tracking. Unfortunately the NFL didn't authorize Directv to give us the ST feed. But I was able to see it on the game mix channel -- unfortunately a little too small for my tastes. And this week CBS lost the feed, but that was a CBS problem which also reflected on the game mix. Maybe it's a sign - STOP WATCHING THE REDSKINS!!

9. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    What?!?!?!

10. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    Look at the pregame shows at noon. You CAN see the difference!

11. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...what? CBS pregame is HD. FOX pregame is 16:9 SD.

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I am completely shocked that people prefer CBS's PQ. Are you guys running native on or off? Do you have 720p TV's or 1080i? Maybe the scaler in the HR2x sucks. I have both 720p and 1080p TV's and run native on, to let the TV do the scaling. Maybe that has somehting to do with it.

I could see PQ being affected by running native off with 1080i chosen as the output resolution, expescially on a 1080p TV, that's a lot of scaling and interlacing/de-interlacing that is being done. You would be scaling 720 to 1080, interlacing it to 1080i, then having the TV de-interlace it to 1080p. That could make Fox look worse, maybe.

13. flapperdink

flapperdink Mentor

Jul 2, 2007
    i have a 1080p set with native on and i can definitely tell the difference in PQ from CBS to Fox. IMO, CBS looks waaaay better. besides the CBS picture looking more sharp than Fox, Fox also tends to over-saturate their colors. CBS looks more natural to me.

14. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Part of the problem comes from many local FOX affiliates around the country being handicapped by equipment still needing to be updated. CBS seems to have more quality equipment and money at their disposal. They also have a better system for distribution. Just check avsforum.com for more info. CBS tends to do the best job the most often.

15. miller24

miller24 Legend

Jun 25, 2007
    I will say that CBS and Fox BLOW AWAY NBC.

NBC's live sports HD refreshing pissed me off all weekend.

16. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    More likely due to the more compressed LiL feed.

Have you looked at your local's over-the-air signal? That's why I use OTA, whenever possible.

17. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

Look at shots of the crowd. The difference between 1080i and 720p is night and day with 1080i head and shoulders above.

18. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    The original scanning format has the least to do with PQ. TV's, affiliate encoders, data rates, network distribution systems, stadium lighting, stadium a/v distribution system, etc...has a lot more to do with it.

It has very, very, very little to do with 720p vs 1080i. You match the equipment, bit rate, etc...you would never be able to pick which was which.

19. Jazzmo

Jazzmo AllStar

Aug 1, 2007
    Some of this is all about your local networks I guess. CBS is terrible to me, pixellation all over the place when things happen fast. FOX slightly better. I have no problem with NBC, looks great. Also, ESPN Monday Night Football looks great. Washington DC area.

20. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The things you mentioned have nothing to do with this. CBS sends out better PQ than Fox, period. The "problem" with CBS is that each affiliate has to re-encode the signal, giving them the ability to screw it up and add subchannels. Fox affiliates do not re-encode the signal, so everyone around the country gets the same PQ. Here in Detroit, where the CBS station has no subchannels, CBS clearly beats Fox.