1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX problems

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by tcatdbs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Fox is acting like rain outages, but other locals are not (and no rain). Goes to yellow screen about every 5 minutes or less, and lots of pixalation. Goes to purple screen on SD channel (I would have thought SD would come through better). I'm in Austin, signal at 78.

2. Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson AllStar

Jan 7, 2007
    I had similar problems on my Saturday night recordings of Cops and my Sunday night recording of The Simpsons (all in HD). Massive pixelation. Seemed to affect only the programs themselves, not the commercials. This was Fox 13 in Seattle of off the 110 bird.

3. pbrown

pbrown Legend

May 23, 2002
    Had the same problem tonight with 24, also last night with the Simpson's. Also on KCQP in Seattle. Help!

4. wsuladesigner

wsuladesigner Cool Member

Jun 10, 2008
    I have been having the same problem for a few weeks. American Idol, 24, even the Q13 news. I get horrible bouts of pixelation, but my sound is the main issue. It sounds like a DVD is skipping.

I talked to a CSR on Saturday and he said that no reports had been filed with this issue. I do not know if I can believe that, but I did my part.

P.S. Nice Avatar pbrown.

5. cwc

cwc Cool Member

Jan 28, 2007
    I had the same problem last night with 24. I have a VIP211 with an external HD hooked up to act as a DVR and I thought I may have been having problems with that but when I checked my recording on the VIP622 it had the same issue. pixilation and even a pink screen on the 622 and complete reset and reboot on the 211.

6. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    It was NOT Dish's fault last night. I was watching Fox OTA and it was dropping out, messing up all over the place. Also a coworker with DirecTV said his was doing the same thing. So it was FOX, or KTBC-7 issue one or the other, but it sucked!

7. tetonbarbie

tetonbarbie New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Hi,
    I had same problems with signal to Fox last night. I phoned boyfriend during 24, he is on Time Warner, and he wasn't having any issues at all. So, I don't think it was the Fox signal . . .

8. kpaustin

kpaustin AllStar

Jul 18, 2007
    I'll confirm FOX Austin issues on both OTA and Dish SD, both last night and this past weekend. Macro blocking on OTA and purple out screen on Dish SD. FOX or some Dish/FOX combo was definitely the issue. All other OTA and Dish SD locals were fine.
    Additional Info: My FOX Signal Strength (as well as ABC, NBC, and CBS) consistently shows 100.

9. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Maybe TW has a direct link to KTBC or something, but the signal they were sending out over the air WAS messed up. I verifed on Dish, OTA via my 722 receiver, and two TV's with ATSC tuners hooked directly to my antenna.

All were showing a messed up signal on both 24 and House; that's all I watched. Like I said, my friend with DirectTV saw the same thing.

KEYE-42 was having big issues this weekend during the NCAA basketball games too, also verified via several OTA tuners. I'm not sure what's up with the local stations!

10. pbrown

pbrown Legend

May 23, 2002
    Thanks!

Same problem tonight watching American Idol on delay. I may have to stop recording HD until this gets fixed.

Can someone confirm that it happens live as well as on DVR Delay?

11. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    AI looked good to me tonight via Dish, no dropouts.

12. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I got the same issue watching it live. I'm with DIRECTV.

13. pbrown

pbrown Legend

May 23, 2002
    The Simpson's was virtually impossible to watch on DVR delay again here in Seattle on KCPQ. And it's so beautiful in HD! Anywhere else have issues?

14. Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson AllStar

Jan 7, 2007
    I was out of town all last week. Got back and just watched the Simpsons that recorded on Sunday. Same problems as the week before. This has been going on on FOX KCPQ now for two weeks.

15. Richl

Richl New Member

May 6, 2006
    I am just South and East of downtown Tacoma and I have been experiencing the same issues for a couple of weeks now. I am even getting it when I switch to the antenna feed so I think it is a FOX issue not a DISH issue.

16. wsuladesigner

wsuladesigner Cool Member

Jun 10, 2008
    I am also south and east of downtown Tacoma. The last 2-3 minutes of American Idol and Fringe last night were not even watchable. The picture froze up and there was no audio. I can tolerate (although I do not like to admit it) a few hiccups with the sound and picture, but when everything goes out for minutes on end...that is where I draw the line. This has been going on for weeks with me, and with time its been getting progressively worse.

17. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I live in Northern California and for the last few days I've had problems with HD locals, mine are San Francisco. In the mornings all local HD gets a screen that says, paraphrasing......"we know there's a problem and we're working on it so don't call", in the later evening 8 or 9pm it does it again. During the bulk of the day all is well, SD is unaffected. Anyone else have a similar issue or did I get lucky? I have a 622 receiver.
    356B

18. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I'm seeing the issues too. I've found that if I record via OTA I don't have the audio issues, only the pixelation. This makes the shows that are not having major pixelation at least watchable since the audio is fluid.

19. pbrown

pbrown Legend

May 23, 2002
    Got this recently from Dish, sounds like they are on it but not really seeing it. If anyone hasn't reported to Dish, now is the time. Let's pressure them to fix this!

20. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    Something is going on at Fox, but I'm not sure it's an E* issue. I say this because I have noticed this on aLL my Fox channels and it seems limited to Fox channels. This includes the local FOX afilliate (during prime time HD events), Fox News, FOX Business and even local Cardinal baseball games via FSMW.

In all cases, the issue is limited to Fox channels and appears usually as sparadic, very brief (one-frame) picture breakups. This happens perhaps once every 15 minutes. It's barely noticeable, but it's definitely there. I wonder if others have noticed this. The picture-breakup issue with pixelization happens less frequently but these are much more obvious. This was evidenced this morning on Fox News Sunday. I caught a few brief flashes and one major breakup that lasted a few seconds.