Fox pulls network from O&O and cable channels

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by RAD, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  2. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    OMG I must say New Fox is not playing around. I have not seen a distributor create 2 websites before for the same company (one targeting Sling the other targeting Dish). Although I must admit the video for Sling customers with "the finger" is kinda funny better than the video about the guy with nunchucks for Dish.

I can see a lot of people being upset at Dish but what do people expect when they complain about the high cost of TV and when the provider tries to push back they threaten to leave its a damn if you do and damn if you don't situation for the provider.

satcrazy likes this.
  3. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Yep that's because Joe Six Pack doesn't think of pointing fingers at the corporations who own and runs the channels they desire to watch. They point fingers at the cable/sat/OTT provider of their choice because that's who they are paying to get the channels they desire. And until people start realizing the blame is on both sides and start putting heat on both sides... it's going to be the cable/sat/OTT provider is who Joe Six Pack will yell at all while not saying a word to the channels (and their owners).

AZ. likes this.
  4. Tiny

Tiny Mentor

Feb 1, 2009
    FS 1 gone removed This is baseball playoff time this is getting old !

5. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I must say I am liking the attitude AT&T and Dish have taken when the distributors play dirty like Sinclair and New Fox by calling them out instead of trying to play nice. Dish Promise replaced the standard message from Warren Schlichting with a new video from where Fox clearly stated they plan to increase their retransmission revenue by $1billion by 2020. :D

neilo, DJ Lon, sparky27 and 1 other person like this.
  6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Agreed ...

I really knew this time was obviously coming ...

The satellite MVPDs DIRECTV and DISH couldn't just keep paying endless increases in fees to the content owners and these local station ownership groups. Then simply pass the increases off to their subscribers annually only to have them leave and "cut the cord."

Its a death spiral, and at some point (like "right now") the MVPDs are going to have to plant their feet and really push back hard.

The objections of the JSPs be damed ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    A billion? These people in charge of fox should all be fired.

sparky27 likes this.
  8. twistedfister77

twistedfister77 New Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Marinette,...
    my guide shows regular programmimg listed on fs1 and big ten starting at 11pm central time tonight, wonder if a deal was made

9. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    i doubt it, it takes days for channel guides to change from showing the channel's actual lineup to a generic dispute listing, plus you have a slate instead of the channels themselves until a new deal is reached.

10. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Just because the guide has programming data doesn't mean the channel is available. AT&T had Altitude's guide data replaced with a general message then after a few days the regular guide data returned but the channel is still blacked out

11. sparky27

sparky27 New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    No BigTen Network or FS1..I was so disappointed because I just added BIGTEN package 2 weeks ago. I called and removed my regional sports package cuz I'm not paying for what I don't have. NFL on Fox I just use antennae to get those Fox stations free so no biggie. Called last night, I actually ended up moving from the Flex Pack with my added channels to Top 120 (minus locals saves $12 a month) and now we get Nickelodeon and Disney for the kid. My wife is just stoked we have Freeform and MTV now. I hate rising bills so Fox can suck it, I streamed for years so if they really want to shoot their own cash cow in the foot let em. That being said, if they end up getting BigTen back I'll def jump up to 120+ so I get that too!

Yeah streaming is hot right now and that's all todays kids care about, but todays kids don't watch sports like those of us who are older. Fox could end up alienating like half of their audience/ income. I hope Dish and DirectV and any other cable company's tell them to piss off. Fox will have No choice but to come crawling back or lose tons of income by pushing an app that a small percentage of society cares about and will only subscribe to from September to March. I'm sick of price gouging so happy trails Fox!

12. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    This is getting old. I'll miss local NFL games on our FOX channel but I can live forever with FS1. Hated losing HBO but once I watched the final episodes on Game of Thrones on HBO GO I cancelled the service and haven't thought twice about it. At some point content providers need to realize people will move on and forget them if they keep extorting them for higher and higher fees.

Hey, remember the long NFL strike? After awhile people discovered there were other things to do on Sunday afternoons beside watching football. Both the league and the players lost on that one. Contrary to a certain maybe, greed is not good. Both the content providers and the carriers will eventually be hurt.

sparky27 likes this.
  13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Geee.... carriage agreements coming to expiration right when there is some high profile events coming up..... coincidence?

KDFW is one of the affected Fox stations, but there is a reprieve.... the Dallas Cowboys at New Orleans Saints is on SNF this weekend. The following week, however, is Green Bay Packers at Dallas Cowboys, and that is the only game on Fox's late schedule.

Per this thread The Great NFL Heist: How Fox Paid for and Changed Football Forever, in 1993, CBS was only willing to pay $250 million per year for the NFC rights, which was $15 million lower than the previous contract. Of the two NFL conferences, the NFC is the preferred conference because of the major TV markets (Philadelphia, Chicago, Washington, Dallas, San Francisco). Fox was willing to put up $400 million per year over four years, not because it would make money, but to change Fox from a also-ran network that was on low-powered UHF stations to a major player. It was such a game changer that stations were willing to switch affiliations to keep the NFL games. Four years later, CBS paid $500 million per year to grab the AFC rights from NBC. ABC balked at the increasing price for Monday Night Football, but it ended up on sister network E$PN. That money has to come from somewhere in the form of increased advertiser costs and broadcast rights. It used to be that the major networks would pay the local stations to carry the programming. Now, it's reversed.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  14. Jeff41

Jeff41 New Member

Dec 19, 2018
    This is an absolute joke with Dish at this point. HBO, RSNs, FOX, FS1.. I dont see how they are going to stay in business at this rate unless they DROP prices

MVL999 likes this.
  15. Jon W

Jon W AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    Wow I just stopped by to see if there was an update on the regional sports dispute and I find out that my local FOX channel as well as FS1 is gone. I can get the Vikings OTA so thats really no big deal but I am not going to be able to watch the MLB playoffs at this time. Plus I just did another 2 year agreement to lock in a lower price

16. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    I have to agree. When we lost HBO and MAX, we lost 7 channels; add the RSNs, and now FS1 and others and the channels loss becomes significant. My bill has not gone down that much. Perhaps DISH should survey its customers and find out what they would be willing to pay for the lost channels.

Jeff41 likes this.
  17. Jeff41

Jeff41 New Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Dish's "we are fighting for you against outrageous demands" just doesn't work when their prices are the same as other providers that have all these channels. If they want to be a limited provider/budget provider they need to undercut the other guys on price and they aren't doing that so I am not sure what their strategy is. WHY would anyone pick Dish over the other options at this point?

Don M likes this.
  18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH no longer charges for HBO. I agree that they should reduce the cost of the Multi-Sports package now Big 10 is missing. And credit for the other missing national channels (FS1 FS2 etc) would be good.

dennispap and ibjimbo like this.
  19. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    Reducing the charge for the missing sports channels would be nice. Not losing anymore channels would also be nice.

20. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Not losing anymore channels is not going to happen. The programmers want too much money...If Dish paid the extra fees, instead of $100 for a bill, you would be paying $150.

Athlon646464 and HoTat2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.