1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox Soccer HD? Is this true?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sangu72, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1 of 19
    sangu72

sangu72 AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    I have read in some blogs that following their successful bid for CL rights next season, Fox Soccer is going to start their HD service by the end of 2009. Can any of you confirm this for me? And if true, what are the chances of getting it on D*? Is my salivation justified or am I setting myself up for a heart-crunching disappointment?

2. Apr 3, 2009 #2 of 19
    turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #3 of 19
    juventuz

juventuz Legend

Oct 15, 2007
    I don't doubt that they'd go HD by the end of this year, I remember reading that FOX announced that all of their channels would be HD in 2009.

I doubt we'd get it anytime sooner after it goes HD though, DirecTV seems to be pretty stingy with national HD stations for a while now.

4. Apr 3, 2009 #4 of 19
    wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Stingy with everything but sports networks. You just have to look to another thread to see that much to many's dismay, sports channels have been regularly added despite the vocal requests for one particular channel whose name I can't seem to remember right now...

My expectation would be that FSC's conversion will likely happen after the current European season in the next few weeks. My recollection is that the current rights agreement for EPL ends at the end of the current season and a new one starts next year. Hopefully, the new agreement will include HD (thats what I would do), which were likely not included in the current agreement (or we might have FSC HD already). The question is the HD rights for Serie A, Bundeslege, La Liga, and Ligue 1. Those would be nice.

At the least, EPL, CL, MLS, and USL HD coverage would make a great start along with some of the national team and CONCACAF events. Would have loved better quality video than FSC offered for Toulon last year. However, I keep telling myself FSC offered coverage of Toulon last year.

5. Apr 3, 2009 #5 of 19
    turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007

6. Apr 4, 2009 #6 of 19
    TomCat4680

TomCat4680 Godfather

Nov 17, 2008
    Shouldn't it be called Fox Football Channel since that's what Europeans, Latinos and the rest of the world call the sport?

7. Apr 4, 2009 #7 of 19
    loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    HD would be great, for the Fox Soccer Channel. It is hard to watch some of the European games because the PQ is so bad, very fuzzy video. They would still probably be in upconverted 4x3, but the PQ should improve.

8. Apr 4, 2009 #8 of 19
    GutBomb

GutBomb Godfather

Jun 17, 2004
    Since it's an american channel, no?

Lots of different places have different names for the sport, the italians (some of the most dedicated fans and best players of the game anywhere) call it calcio (which means 'kick'). Soccer is what we call it here.

'Soccer' was coined in the UK many many years ago as a corruption of the full name of the sport "Association Football."

All that aside, there's no channel I hope for more than Fox Soccer Channel HD.

9. Apr 4, 2009 #9 of 19
    sangu72

sangu72 AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    Gol TV got the rights for the next 3 seasons. FSC will not be able to broadcast La Liga games.
    EPL rights are up for grabs at this moment. Some people think that ESPN let the CL rights go to get into the EPL but nobody knows for sure. By the end of the month will have an answer to that.

10. TomCat4680

TomCat4680 Godfather

Nov 17, 2008
    maybe the issue is the same as ESPNU: Fox wants DirecTV to move it to a lower package before they add HD?

11. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003

I agree PQ on both FSC and GOL is pretty bad, even for SD. I added the sports pack this week specifically to check these two channels out but have to say I doubt I will keep it much past the "mandatory" (or else face a $10 downgrade fee) 30 day period. THe PQ is just not very good.

That said, why are the Champions League games on ESPN HD not delelivered in 16:9 HD, but rather only 4:3 and (apparantly) upconverted SD?

12. crabtrp

crabtrp Legend

Sep 23, 2006
    If they get the rights and they let that squeaky Irish announcer call the games I am going to be pissed. HD or not - he makes games unwatchable.

13. dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004
    ESPN uses the uefa pool feed. When the feed is provided in HD, as it will be for the UCL finals, they use it. But it seems that uefa only provides a HD feed for the finals.

14. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I do believe what you say, but I'd love to see the web site or newspaper where you got this info.

I'm very interested in learning more how European football is produced.

15. dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004
    I, as well as some other members of avs forum, exchanged some emails with John Skipper of ESPN last year about this issue. He was the one who told us about the uefa system. Certainly there are other channels that do their own production of games, like sky sports, but espn doesnt use those feeds.

16. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    More is better

I am always watching those games on ESPN/ESPN2 and will watch more if Fox can get their HD in order

17. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Virtually every Euro and UK match is native telecast in 576i, 16x9. They're downrezzed and downconverted for the US market.

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Sure! Directv and FOX are tied to the hips:lol::lol::lol:

19. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Setanta and Fox both "mistakenly" ship us the OAR content once in a while. Setanta did it this afternoon - if any of you watched [or recorded to watch] the Fulham-Everton match.

I realized as soon as I started to watch - and saw the squished figures on the pitch - they were sending the original. Menu > Setup > Setup > HDTV > change Pillar Box to Original Format = I watched the whole match in 576i [or perhaps it was 480i] and 16x9 filling the whole bloody screen.

It's good enough. It's certainly better than 4x3.

We went through the same at Speed with Formula One coverage last season. Folks complained at first about the resolution; but, it's still better than 4x3.