1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox Soccer Plus

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chihuahua, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Are there negotiations at this time to bring the forthcoming Fox Soccer Plus to Dish Network?

2. fryguy503

fryguy503 Legend

Sep 3, 2009
    Setanta Sports USA To Go Dark Feb. 28- Multichannel News
    Premium Network, Transferring More Programming Rights To Fox Soccer, Will Also Cease Caribbean Operations

Setanta Sports, as expected, will pull the plug on its premium channel in the U.S. and the Caribbean on Feb. 28.

The programmer on its Web site, www. setanta.com, and through a press release issued today said that it has reached an agreement to transfer select programming rights, including premium soccer and rugby events, to Fox Soccer Channel on March 1. The document also indicated that Setanta will cease broadcasting its premium channel in the U.S. and the Caribbean.

Earlier this month, Fox Soccer Channel said it would reclaim top soccer rights -- Barclays Premiere League and UEFA Champions League -- that it had been sublicensing to Setanta and that they would become part of its own premium channel, Fox Soccer Plus, which is scheduled to kick off March 1.
    According to Twitter feed, broadband service, Setanta-i, will also not operate past Feb. 28.

Fox Soccer Channel had been said to be in negotiations to purchase Setanta Sports USA outright. It was unclear at press time if Fox Soccer was negotiating to take over channel positions housed by Setanta Sports USA. The premium channel currently counts DirecTV, Dish Network, Verizon FiOS, AT&T-U-verse and RCN Corp., as well as Comcast and Cox in select markets, as affiliates.

Sources suggest that Setanta Sports USA counted upward of 120,000 subscribers for its premium service.

Setanta officials in the U.S. did not respond to a request for a comment.

Fox Soccer issued the following statement: "We are finalizing the transfer of select programming from Setanta and will announce those specific rights when the negotiations are completed."

For the remainder of January and throughout February, Setanta said it would continue to broadcast normally and will feature its usual lineup of games from the Barclays Premier League, FA Cup, UEFA Champions League, Heineken Cup, Magners League and Guinness Premiership.

Setanta said its operations in Canada are not impacted by this transaction and will continue to operate under the joint ownership of the Setanta Group and Rogers Communications.

Commenting on the transaction, Leonard Ryan, co-founder of Setanta Sports said: "This is a significant milestone in the re-organisation of Setanta Sports, following the acquisition of Setanta's businesses in Ireland, the U.S., Canada and Australia in July 2009. Having examined several options for our U.S. business, we concluded that the best course of action for the Group is to exit the U.S. market and to concentrate on other markets where we can be a more substantial player in sports television. This transaction enables us to achieve that objective and to explore new opportunities in other markets."
    Last summer, Setanta fell into receivership in the United Kingdom.

Since acquiring the non-UK businesses of the Setanta Group in July 2009, the programmer said it has refinanced Setanta Ireland, followed by renewal of key rights properties such as the Barclays Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League. This business, according to Setanta, remains profitable and is in a strong position in the Irish sports TV market.

In addition to Canada, where Setanta said its business is at an all-time high, the company said its portfolio in Australia is also performing well.

Elsewhere, the company said it would launch Setanta Bet, an online sports gaming system, next week.

*****UNCONFIRMED WHAT DISH WILL DO *****

3. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Not only am I hoping so, hoping that they bring the HD version on at the sametime. With Dish being 1st with FSC, I think it looks good for us getting FSC+ in March.
    One of those combo deals, FSC and FSC+ for Dish.

4. PBowie

PBowie Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Florida
    according to multichannel news today Fox soccer has bought most of the rights from Setanta

we already have FSC in HD !Great !-well done Dish for getting it to us so quickly.

and Im thinking FSP will replace Setanta on March 1

if we dont get it straight away then I gues that 14.99 off my bill every month !

5. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    People with Fios are saying that Fox Soccer shows appear in their Setanta lineup for March 1. Might go home and see if that is the same for DISH

6. cousinofjah

cousinofjah AllStar

Feb 16, 2010
    well, I've still got Ligue Un games on the D* guide. Plus the Setanta schedule on Are You Watching This?! and Zap2it go out beyond 2/28 even if the official Setanta schedule ends next Monday at 10.

7. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    I've heard that Fios and DirectV have already reached prelim agreements with FSC+, so you may be in luck. I just want to know where my rugby is going.

8. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
  9. PBowie

PBowie Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Florida
    im *hoping* for a smooth transition -setanta ends on the 28th and FSP starts on the 1st march

I know- it is a long shot but miracles do happen !

10. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Here is to WISHFUL thinking. The idea of losing Setana SD and getting FSC+ in HD, isn't such a bad thing.

11. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    DirectV and FIOS have told their customers that what PBowie said will happen in their cases.

12. cousinofjah

cousinofjah AllStar

Feb 16, 2010
    I haven't been told anything. And the link they posted on the support site that allegedly said "Fox Soccer Plus" no longer says so.

13. jorossian

jorossian Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    The program guide on channel 406 begins to show Fox Soccer Plus programming starting Monday, March 1st. The channel flag still says SET, but it's clear that the programs are FSC+.

So it should be an instant switch and on the same channel number. Unfortunately, it appears it'll be SD unless they open up another HD channel between now and Monday.

14. fryguy503

fryguy503 Legend

Sep 3, 2009
    This should be the case but offically we have yet to get the green light to show FSC+ content.

15. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    umm, really?
    http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...occer-plus-debut-nationwide-dish-network.html

FOX SOCCER PLUS TO DEBUT NATIONWIDE ON DISH NETWORK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOX SOCCER PLUS TO DEBUT NATIONWIDE ON DISH NETWORK®

Offers exclusive soccer content from around the globe

Englewood, Colo., Feb. 26, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C., the nation’s fastest growing pay-TV provider, today announced the launch of Fox Soccer Plus, a new premium network designed to complement Fox Soccer Channel and complete the ultimate soccer fan experience.
    Fox Soccer Plus, available beginning March 1 on DISH Network Ch. 406, will feature new exclusive matches from England’s Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, England’s FA Cup, Italy’s Serie A, the prestigious Carling Cup, and action from the Coca-Cola Championship. The network also will showcase an annual selection of live and exclusive England Men’s National Team matches.
    In addition to comprehensive international soccer coverage, Fox Soccer Plus also offers an extensive lineup of rugby matches from England’s Guinness Premiership, the European Heineken Cup and Magners League. The network's total annual programming package will include nearly 600 exclusive events.

“Fox Soccer Plus gives die-hard soccer fans access to some of the most sought-after soccer content in the world and augments DISH Network’s already substantial lineup of top-rated sports programming,” said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. “In addition, rugby fans now have a premier destination to catch all of their favorite matches from around the globe.”

Fox Soccer Plus will be available to DISH Network customers for $14.99 as an a la carte option. To learn more about DISH Network’s sports programming or to order Fox Soccer Plus, call 1-888-333-DISH (3474) or visit Sports Programming and Sports Channels Available at DISH Network.

16. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Great news, but I wont pay $14.99 for it unless its HD.

17. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    There's word it may be in HD also.

18. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I was HOPING/Thinking it was going to be HD with the addition of FSC HD.
    FSC+ is HD, they will be getting my $14.99.
    Only reason I wouldn't pay $14 for Setanta year round, was watching Rugby and Soccer in SD was just to hard, and even worse knowing I had to EXTRA PAY for a SD channel.

19. fryguy503

fryguy503 Legend

Sep 3, 2009
  20. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006