1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOX40 SAC Driving me NUTS!

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by coldmiser, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1 of 13
    coldmiser

coldmiser Legend

Mar 10, 2007
    The audio lately on FOX40 Sacramento is killing me!

I don't have this problem on my SD tv and neighbor doesn't have this problem with DrirecTV HD.

Very frustrating.

2. Nov 4, 2008 #2 of 13
    moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    What's it doing? If it's a series of short dropouts only heard when playing an event NOT in real time, it's a known issue. If you hear this when watching a LIVE event, something else may be going on.

3. Nov 6, 2008 #3 of 13
    e-man

e-man Mentor

May 13, 2008
    I know I'm not the OP, but yeah it's during live newscasts. It's happening on CBS13 out here too. I know they just recently switched to their HD format, so I'm thinking the it's the local affiliates and not dish. But I did notice that if I go to the SD feed I don't get the audio drops. The HD also seems to go out ALOT where I'm at during bad weather, but the SD channels don't usually drop. Weird.

4. Nov 6, 2008 #4 of 13
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. We did have reports from Sacramento on the ViP622/ViP722 - L5.12/L6.10/L6.12/L6.14 Audio Related Issues thread such as this one:
    So we know Sacramento is a DMA that has the problem. It would be helpful if you all could post your reports on that thread also as Echostar Engineering is monitoring it.

moman19 and I had to send them our boxes as they couldn't reproduce the problem. It appears to be occuring only in a number of areas around the country such as St. Louis and San Francisco, as well as Sacramento. The latest report from Echostar Engineer is they are testing a possible fix and plan to download it soon if it works.

5. Nov 7, 2008 #5 of 13
    teachsac

teachsac Legend

Jun 10, 2006
    I don't have any problems with FOX40 HD unless it is a DVR'd event from the satellite feed. Live is no problem and recording off of the OTA feed is no problem either. KOVR is another story and is not related to E*. But they're working on it. They are in the process of moving everything on the tower to try to eliminate the microwave fading issue.

S~

6. Nov 7, 2008 #6 of 13
    teachsac

teachsac Legend

Jun 10, 2006
    Enigineering is aware that the issue also occurs in Sacramento. Sorry, that is all I'm allowed to say due to a NDA at this time.

S~

7. Nov 7, 2008 #7 of 13
    Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    You know, you could solve this problem by "moving" to Fresno.

Better channels and they mention Fresno State. No such luck with Sac. TV.

-A- But I do watch some Sac. channels on FTA though. No dropouts there.

8. Nov 9, 2008 #8 of 13
    bflatmajor

bflatmajor Cool Member

Sep 8, 2006
    'moving' to fresno is out of the question.
    I would rather 'move' to San Francisco IF I choose to 'move'

Actually, I used to live in Merced..a.k.a Mer-Dead, not to far from 'Fresno'.:lol:

9. Nov 9, 2008 #9 of 13
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As others have noted... I see this on my FOX, ABC, and also on ESPNHD as well. Hopefully a fix is in the works!

Meanwhile, on a silly note... This thread title keeps reminding me of that old pirate joke... :)

10. aaronbud

aaronbud Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    I have had this problem (audio seems to cut in and out) during the 10 o'clock news, both live or delayed on both my 622 and 508's. I think it's a station issue, not with E*...

11. coldmiser

coldmiser Legend

Mar 10, 2007
    One of the things I do not get though is why I only have this problem with the shows I record on Sunday nights. Anything else I record (Fringe, COPS) are fine.

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The problem varies quite a bit but it appears that the Fox animated lineup Sunday night is a particular problem. There are alot fewer dropouts on other shows and more frequently, but not exclusively, you'll hear them associated with transitions between the show and commercials or in commercials. To confuse matters more, on my ViP722 the dropouts cause the dolby system to switch off and then back on making them more problematic then on my ViP612 which doesn't seem to drop the dolby.

And now I'm getting them on CBS and NBC in the Bay Area, thought not as frequently.

13. coldmiser

coldmiser Legend

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah, since I use HDMI from the 622 to my receiver the drop outs cause the Dolby processor to have fits.

And for me it is ONLY the Sunday shows and they do it off and on every few seconds during the show and commercials. There is no pattern to it.