1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fraudulent D* Charges in Colorado?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Nick, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    FYI: Saw this posted on Craigslist, under Rants & Raves, Pueblo, CO
    http://pueblo.craigslist.org/rnr/2654039701.html

2. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    Fraud and stealing are crimes. Did they call the cops? Just sayin'.

3. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    How much you want to bet that they signed up for DirecTV about this time last year and got the (then) free Premier when you pay for ST? They probably didn't pay attention to the CSR telling them that it will auto-renew the next year or forgot about it between then and now. They also didn't read their bill close enough to see the $0 auto-renewal reminder placed there one to two months before they started getting charged. Inattention and/or forgetfulness do not equal criminal intent on DirecTV's part.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If that were the case, where wold the date of 10/4 come in? Wouldn't they have gotten a charge before then?

5. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I'll say this. While I doubt Directv was involved in any fraud, anyone that unknowingly gets soaked for $65/mo deserves to get soaked fr $65/mo. They post a bill for a reason. Read it.

6. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    The story details about no one being home to order the NFL Sunday Ticket sounds like it was a confirmed remote control purchase.

Simply using the remote to navigate the menu and look at the purchase history on each receiver in the home should visually confirm to this person that it was purchased by someone using the remote control and the purchase details like the date.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm more interested in why someone who lives in southeast GA is even reading the craig's list in Pueblo CO. :D

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Because there is a DirecTv center there, and lots of the employees sell their owned HR24's on Craigslist. I bought mine from Colorado Craigslist.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Interesting idea...I should keep an eye on that myself.

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The three month free Sports Package could have been an anniversary gift.

11. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Love the line,"if we had not checked our bill"..:lol:
    So they just blindly pay for everything?:nono:

12. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The only thing less authentic than Wikipedia, are these rant based websites. Our newspapers around here even have the "vent lines" where nuts can leave statements on an answering machine and they actually print them.

Somebody bought DirecTV, and then had a billing issue. Probably because they did not understand the automatic renewal from their original "free" year of NFLST. Rather than call the company, dispute the bill, etc, they are spewing out words like "fraudulent" and crazy rants about repairmen.

Here, in the real world, people read their bills and deal as adults when there is a discrepancy. Most businesses are glad to resolve issues, and, when that fails, administrative agencies and courts are there for our use. It works a lot better than posting on craigslist.

13. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    With all due respect sir, I believe it is your fault for not reading your bill statement every month.

14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I do check my DirecTV bill monthly, but it's almost always the same month to month. I would probably not have noticed a $0 charge auto-reminder on my bill either.

My guess is that it's not fraud either.

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    People always have the ability to cancel during a certain period of time. For most people the first charge will show up on a bill prior to the season starting. There are some due to joint billing who receive it after the season starts and those people were able to as well. I signed a friend up and he forgot about it. His bill came from his phone company after the season started and he could, and did, remove it due to the billing dates.