Free 4K Channel 104 Getting 721 Not Authorized Error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sumo_otaku, Aug 22, 2018.

1. sumo_otaku

sumo_otaku New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Cleveland OH
    I have a Genie 2, and three 4K receivers. I am a new DirecTV customer, and recently cancelled my premium channel promotional package. Unfortunately, the next day I also lost my free 4K channel 104 (now getting error code 721, channel not authorized). I was watching for past three weeks.

After 1 hour with various support call staff, they basically kicked it to engineering, with a promise of a call or text the next day. It has been three days and still radio silence.

Any ideas? No changes to setting, cables, TVs, was watching Friday eve, but on Monday not authorized. I think it is related to the authorization update for the premium channels, but they do not think it is related.

Thanks in advance for your time!

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yo
    You obviously have the equipment. You are required to be a subscriber to Select or above. Do you have that? And why only one channel for 4K? Sounds like 4K hasn't been authorized on your account.

3. sumo_otaku

sumo_otaku New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Cleveland OH

4. sumo_otaku

sumo_otaku New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Cleveland OH
    I have the Extra package, so I am a subscriber. Monday they re-sent the authorizations, reset the Genie 2, and had me manually test the dish. They (DirecTV call centers) are always confused about the 4K channels. The screen message states it is a PPV, but it is free. And there is no place to authorize it, as it is free. Again, watched for three weeks, then cancelled my promotional package, then no channel 104.

Oh, and re-checked to confirm 4K was selected for resolution on both TVs.

There is some quirk associated with this channel, so just need to find the magic formula :)

5. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Try going to directv.com/refresh

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    reboot the server and the client boxes [cold one with disconnecting power]

7. sumo_otaku

sumo_otaku New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Cleveland OH
    directv.com/refresh is now directed to the login screen, even if you are already logged in!

Anyway, refreshed and reset and no effect.

Will try a cold boot at lunch and let you know how it works.

8. sumo_otaku

sumo_otaku New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Cleveland OH
    Cold boot had no effect :-(

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Can you see the other 2 4k channels ?
    If not, they must have turned it off when the downgraded the package. I would call and tell them you want to activate 4k for your system.

10. sumo_otaku

sumo_otaku New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Cleveland OH
    Unfortunately, I can see the other 2 4K channels. Just not the one I watch (TV104) !!!!

I will be calling again tonight to see if there are any updates. Ugh!

11. sumo_otaku

sumo_otaku New Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Cleveland OH
    Update - Resolved after much time on phone and three levels of support!

Today, after not receiving any updates for 3 days, I called again into the support line.

Fist level reviewed my account and notes, and came to the conclusion that he could not help me and wanted to escalate to engineering (again).

I pleaded with him to review my call notes to see how they fixed this in July. Finally he told me the steps were:

1. Resend all authorizations

2. Reset Receiver

3. Resend Service Authorization

4. System Test Screen – can only be performed by L2 support

So I was sent to L2

LE could not fix. So I was sent to supervisor after 1 hour on phone

Supervisor quickly fixed, and the solution was ultimately to reset the receiver back to the original settings. Then the 104 4K appeared on both TVs.

Hope this helps other souls on this site that are having the same issues!

jimmie57 likes this.
  12. Thang

Thang New Member

May 21, 2019
    I'm having this exact same issue - could you detail what you mean by "reset the receiver back to the original settings"? Is that the factory reset on the receiver menu, or something the supervisor had to do on their end? Thanks!

13. knoxbh

knoxbh Legend

May 1, 2002

14. knoxbh

knoxbh Legend

May 1, 2002
    Had the same issue. Started in January - called Directv many times - talked to all levels and nothing could be solved. Last call this month lasted 3 hours and could not be solved but they did agree to send out a tech who arrived on time and tried all sort of things (as described above) and nothing worked. He then made a call back to somebody back at Directv and what do you know, within minutes 104 was back on line - all within 30 minutes after arrival!! Sure wish we knew the name of that gal who solved our problem.

15. justinboo

justinboo New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I dropped a single channel and am having the same issue since then. 721 on 104. It’s been going on about 6 weeks and nobody can fix it after about 10 phone calls and just as many hours on the phone with them. I’ve pretty much decided I just won’t have 4K anymore. I had the exact same issue when i initially got 4K about 6 months ago. Nobody could get it to work and after about 2weeks i finally got a domestic rep that fixed it in about 10 minutes over the phone. It is really a pathetic situation and extremely frustrating but at this point I really don’t have a choice on providers other than dish and I do not want dish. So I’ll just piss and moan and sulk and have no 4K with Directv!

16. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Was this permanently resolved? I am still getting a 721 error on all the 4k channels.