Free 4K Movie Rental

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MysteryMan, Apr 15, 2017.

1. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Found this in my e-mail today......AT&T Thanks......To celebrate the first anniversary of 4K service on DIRECTV, here's a special gift just for you......Rent any 4K movie on us today! It's just one more way of saying thanks for being a great 4K customer......Bill credit is issued after DIRECTV Cinema purchase is confirmed. Order 4K title must be confirmed on 4/15/17......Nice, thanks DIRECTV.

captaink5217 likes this.
  2. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    Thank you for the info. I will pass and continue with Netflix and Amazon 4k video.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Netflix Doesn't have new releases

4. jimmerz

jimmerz AllStar

Jan 25, 2010
    I have some time left... Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    You received this yesterday & had to confirm the rental by 4/15/17? Less than one day?

6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I posted exactly the way the e-mail offer was stated. E-mail was sent to me at 16:06 hrs on 15 April 17 giving me a little over 7 hours to take advantage of the offer. I took advantage of the offer and selected the movie "Passengers". Offer states in the fine print to allow 3-5 weeks for application of bill credit.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  7. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    haha...this is what I hate about these free movie 'offers'. They are clearly designed with a gotcha in mind. Last time I even considered one, you had to jump through so many hoops it wasn't even worth it. Like filling out some form and physically mailing it & then waiting 6 weeks for a credit to show up. Instead of just giving you a free rental upfront, which they could very easily do.

8. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No hoop jumping with this offer. I looked at the list of 4K PPV movies, selected "Passengers" and sat back and enjoyed it. It's a two day rental that expires tomorrow. The only nuisance is the 3-5 weeks for application of bill credit.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good movie, really enjoyed it. I get all the new releases (the ones that interest me) from NF, usually around the time they first go to BDs. I would like to see NF start mailing out UHD discs. They don't seem to be in any hurry to do that. I'd like to have an excuse to buy a UHD player. I'm really curious to see if the UHDs look any better than an upscaled BD. I know some folks have posted about the quality of the UHDs, but I really have to see it for myself.

Rich

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There's noticeable picture quality between Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD. If you're a movie buff like I am you'll want to invest in a UHD player.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Let me explain my post a bit better. I have a couple Samsung BD players I bought on a whim. Both upscale to 2160 and the PQ is so good I haven't bothered with a UHD player. I have had one of my normal BD players on the 4K TVs and the difference between them and the upscalers is very noticeable. I have no problem with purchasing a UHD player, the problem I have is the lack of UHD discs on NF's disc rental service. Having given away or donated so many DVDs and BDs I really have no intention of ever accumulating hard copies ever again. I can see buying the really exceptional UHD movies. But I'll never spend as much as I have in the past. Just me, just my opinion. I had bins of DVDs and a lot of BDs. Just a waste of space. I can wait for NF to get the UHDs, I'm in no hurry.

Rich

12. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    I see your point about these kind of collections taking up a lot of space. But then again, so do books in a library. I consider my DVD/BR collection as my library.

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've been a live long movie collector. Started with VHS, then converted library to DVD. Am still upgrading DVD library to Blu-ray. Doubt if I'll convert entire Blu-ray library to 4K Ultra HD but their are some titles that would make the effort worthwhile.

Christopher Gould likes this.
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I use a library consortium for my books, if I kept my own library and bought my own books I'd need a lot of space...which would be wasted space. I use NF in the same manner. No more hard copies, just me, just my opinion.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, it just killed me, giving away all those discs, I forgot the mention the bins of VHS tapes I had and gave away. Never again. Just my opinion.

Rich

16. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm surprised Netflix is still sending out discs and hasn't gone full streaming yet. But I guess there's still enough people out there that like the discs versus streaming, or they can't, or don't want to, stream, for whatever reason.

Rich, did you ever consider ripping your DVD/BD collection to a hard drive, or does doing so break down the PQ?

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have not seen any signs of NF dropping the disc rentals. I hope they don't.

I did consider ripping at one time, but NF is so easy.

Rich

18. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Netflix has physical disks for those titles for which they don't retain streaming rights.

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Agreed. There is also a noticeable difference between upscaled Blu Rays on the Same UHD Player than with a straight UHD Disc

20. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    In 2015, 40% of rural America still did not have access to broadband.

I also hope that NF does not drop its disc rental business

Rich likes this.