1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Cinemax? Read the fine print!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ThomasM, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I received an enticing email offering 3 months of Cinemax for free but here's the fine print:

Cinemax® Free for 3 Months Offer: Offer ends 11/15/11 and valid for DIRECTV residential customers with accounts in good standing, as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion and who currently do not subscribe to Cinemax® programming. Eligible customers must call 1-800-531-5000 and request the 'Cinemax® Free for 3 Months' Offer. Offer is not available on directv.com. Customers will receive a $11.01 bill credit for each month that the Cinemax® subscription is active during the three consecutive month period. After three (3) months, customer's Cinemax® subscription continues at the then prevailing rate. Initial credits may take 4-6 weeks to appear on your bill. No cash value. May not be combined with any other offer. Pricing is residential. Taxes not included. Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change at any time. Cinemax® and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc. Receipt of DIRECTV programming subject to DIRECTV Customer Agreement; copy provided at directv.com/legal and in order confirmation.

Hmm. So you get an $11.01 credit on your bill but the credits don't start for 4-6 weeks. Say what? I assume if you take them up on this offer and CANCEL after the three months you never get the credit? Any lawyers out there reading this that can decode it? I suspect a zinger here.... :nono2:

2. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    This is the way most of their two-for-one or free programming promotions work. You sign up and they add the extra cost to your bill immediately then a month later they credit some amount. The credit will probably come after your billing date so you may end up overpaying by the credit amount and then see the credit on your account for the rest of the month.

Their whole payment/credit system is very convoluted. ;)

3. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    You receive an immediate credit of $11.01, then another credit a few days prior to your next billing date, and so forth. I suppose you're expecting a credit of $33.03 right away, but it doesn't work that way. I have had no problems with receiving my credits from D*.

4. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Then, in every occasion when I have qualified for a credit, the CSR has neglected the "immediate" part.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    How do you figure that? If you've gone three months you're way past "4 to 6 weeks".

6. RMBittner

RMBittner Legend

Mar 28, 2011
    In general, I think it's always a good idea to read the fine print, especially when you're committing to spending hundreds of dollars over a two-year period.

Bob

7. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    When I hit the link in the email I received it took me to a page that said something about 3 months of Cinemax free when I subscribe to HBO.

If it's just straight up "Free Cinemax for 3 Months", I might do it.

8. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    When I got three months of Showtime free I never watched a movie. Only program of interest was Nurse Jackie.

9. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Showtime has fallen off the face of the earth, imo, in terms of good selection.

Tried several times to get interested in it but absolutely zero keeps me going with it

10. moob

moob Legend

Nov 19, 2008
    The only thing Showtime has going for it is the original series. Right now Dexter and Homeland are the only two reasons I'm watching. And House of Lies next year. I have no clue as to what it's about, but it has Kristen Bell and Don Cheadle, so I'm in automatically. Once in a while they premiere a good movie, like Red, but that's like once every few months. They have a whole lot of channels with nothing on them.

Right now I'm getting Starz for free with Sho, but after the 3 months, I don't think I'll keep either one.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Dexter, Homeland, Californication, Nurse Jackie, Secret Diary of a Call Girl, the upcoming House of Lies....Showtime rocks it as far as original series.

12. RMBittner

RMBittner Legend

Mar 28, 2011
    Love Dexter. And don't forget Weeds and The Big C. . .

Bob

13. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    And Shameless

Don "lotsa nuggets just no ore" Bolton