1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free CINEMAX

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ThomasM, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1 of 11
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just got my DirecTV bill along with the news flyer and it says there will be a FREE Cinemax trial August 11-14. It's pretty far in advance but it's worth marking your calendar.

I can't ever recall DirecTV having a free CINEMAX trial in the past. Apparently, premium channel subs are at an all-time low thanks to Netflix and other streaming media (which is cheaper than just ONE premium channel).

Now if DirecTV would replace Cinemax West with one of the other Cinemax channels, I might even consider subscribing. (With the proliferation of DVR's, these stupid "east/west coast feeds" showing the same exact stuff 3 hours later is a big waste of bandwidth IMHO)

2. Jul 7, 2011 #2 of 11
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    They are adding more Cinemax and HBO this month per the official (confirmed by SR) "other version" of the flier.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10413141@N05/5882711526/

3. Jul 7, 2011 #3 of 11
    Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think it's much more likely that the free Cinemax is happening in August because of all the recent and upcoming Cinemax additions on DirecTV.

4. Jul 7, 2011 #4 of 11
    Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Also it's that weekend because Cinemax is premiering their first ever primetime show Strike Back on August 12.

5. Jul 8, 2011 #5 of 11
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    You might find that on the east coast, but here on the west coast I definitly disagree. Besides the fact that only about 50% of DirecTV customers have a DVR, according to a graphic in the Anticipation thread, most people, like me, have ONE DVR, but also 2 other TV's I get HBO on.

It happens plenty of time that I want to watch some scary movie that is about to start on HBO-West at 8 PM, because I didn't notice it in the guide a day ahead of time to record it at 5 PM the next day on HBO-East. I don't generally browse the guide a day ahead of time, I find myself browsing the channels around 7:30-ish to see "whats on at prime time tonight". DVR or not, West-coast time slots I consider very important, here on the West-coast.

You east coast people think too easy about it. We on the west coast always get shafted, and we're lucky that many channels start repeating their prime-time lineup at 11 PM EST so we can actually get it at a decent time.

6. Jul 8, 2011 #6 of 11
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I am delighted to live on the West Coast and watch the baseball playoffs and world series and have the games end by 10 pm.

Sunday and Monday night football fall into that category too, except with no LA team there's not much reason to watch pro football here. :D

7. Jul 9, 2011 #7 of 11
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I'm getting Starz free for 3 months. Just enough time to see Torchwood. Since the BBC got greedy and moved it from BBC America to a Premium channel.

8. Jul 9, 2011 #8 of 11
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Perhaps, but since I don't subscribe to HD I'll still get the same crummy 3 Cinemax channels which is why I would never subscribe.

9. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    Cinemax already has "primetime shows :D;)

10. Coca Cola Kid

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    No they don't. Max After Dark ("Skinemax") is late night.

11. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Ditto, and Ditto.. Think your shafted, everyone forgets about the 3rd Time Zone. The Mountain Zone...