Free HD DVR DEAD!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jacobsdad30, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jacobsdad30

jacobsdad30 Cool Member

Dec 13, 2006
    I have only had the free refurbished HR-21 for about 1 week and it died. Yesterday morning I tried to turn it on and it said doing a disk scan. It took all day. Last night it tried for several hours to run receiver self check. It was stuck in a loop. I unplugged for over nite. Checked today and same thing. Called Directv and they said prob HDD is shot. Said they are shipping me another NEW HDDVR. I can't be choosy when it's free but I hope it's a HR-24. ?

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Keep yer fingers crossed! :)

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Good luck, but don't count on it. They pretty much just mean "New to you" not new in the box, never before used.

4. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Does the "retension" desk have any authority to designate what receiver the client will receive. They are installing another HD DVR and stated on the order, a "24" model. I told him the installer will give me "what he has on his truck", but the retension CSR said absolute not, and if a 24 is not installed, call retension back to rectify the problem.

I'm pretty much expecting another HR20 to come out... It doesn't really matter as my other HR20 has been perfect the past 2 years. I also told him I don't use OTA, so change my profile.

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's one of the issues with DirecTV-you never know what model receiver/DVR you are going to get. Their system only specifies one of 4 types: SD DVR, HD DVR, SD RECEIVER, HD RECEIVER

Fortunately, until they give you one that keeps working for 90 days you pay nothing to keep getting it replaced. Too bad DirecTV doesn't have a "lemon law" like many states do with cars!!! ;)

6. jacobsdad30

jacobsdad30 Cool Member

Dec 13, 2006
    The 90 days is good to know. I was a previous customer for over 10 yrs and never had a receiver die. Guess I could have replaced my on hdd.

7. BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    My HR-22 died about three weeks ago. They sent me a replacement HR-22 that lasted one day and died. They sent me a replacement for the replacement and guess which one...an HR-22! I love getting five year old technology, thanks DirecTV! :D

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Fixed yer post. :lol: Either way, point taken!

9. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    You will get a refurb HR22. Until D* runs out of them that is the replacement of choice. Been there done that kind of thing. I'm not sure how much refurbing D* does to the returned units. Good luck on the HR24 thing!

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    They MIGHT get a HR22.

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you have DIRECTV install it, I think you have a much better chance of an HR24. It seems like the installers (at least in my area) have been getting nothing but HR24's for a while now.

12. jacobsdad30

jacobsdad30 Cool Member

Dec 13, 2006
    I agree. Mine is the mail replacement. Prob going to get refurb.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're gonna get a "replacement", I've seen no refurbishing done except for cosmetics, for instance a new door for the access card. If you're lucky, you'll get a working model that someone turned in because they opted out of D*. Other than that, you'll get someone else's headache.

Rich

14. jacobsdad30

jacobsdad30 Cool Member

Dec 13, 2006
    New to me receiver came today. Another HR-21. This one made in 11-07 and last one made in 10-07. So I guess it's a newer one. Lol!

CSR told me that since all receivers are leased that if one goes bad at any time they will replace free for only shipping charges. I am responsible for Sat adj. and cables. Is this true?

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yes, if you do not have the protection plan that is true. However, most people have found that they will offer you one free tech visit per year if you have issues (normally $50). You might have to ask them if they can cut you a deal though, and then they usually will offer it for free.