1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free movie offer is lame

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rta53, Aug 31, 2012.

1. rta53

rta53 Legend

Apr 10, 2010
    I normally don't bother with something like this, too many other things that are more important, but the offer DTV is making for a free movie just really bugs me. I have gotten an email at least 2 times with an offer for a free movie. First time I got it, I thought, cool. However, when you read the fine print you discover that the "free" part is in the form of a credit and the credit will only be issued after you mail in a redemption certificate. And you won't even receive the certificate for at least 8-10 weeks after you purchase the movie. They will charge you for the movie instantly, but you have to wait almost 3 months to get your credit. Why even bother with something like this? Why not just give your customers a free movie and be done with it. Makes no sense to me. OK, I'm done now, back to work.

2. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    A free movie by being credited later is better than no free movie at all.

Welcome to the wonderful world of capitalism, free market & enterprise. :D

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Those offers are just like rebates on things you buy in the store.
    They count on about half of the people never sending the form back to them.

I agree, if they want to give you a free movie, just do it without the hassle of the form to be sent back in.

4. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    I get those all the time and use them. I order the movie and then send in the rebate voucher the next day. My account is credited $4.99 within a week. Has never taking longer than that and I've done this at least 5 times.

5. rta53

rta53 Legend

Apr 10, 2010
    Well I was just going by what the small print says on the web site. How do you get the rebate voucher? The web site says the voucher is mailed to you.

6. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    In the very old days(early 1996) you got a coupon for a free movie with each bill.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    does DirecTV incudes an SASE (Self Address Stamp Envelope) or does one have to pay for the mailing of the coupon. Then that would make the movie not completely free! :rotfl:

8. BLMN

BLMN Mentor

Sep 6, 2011
    Southern NH
    same here with me. i always use those mail in movie coupons.

we have to pay for mailing.

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Groan

10. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    My boss had it in the early/mid 90's and he bragged about them all the time. Of course it was easy to send them back then. You had to mail in your bill.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I remember getting an Arnold Schwartzenegger PPV movie from DirecTV for $0.50 just to demonstrate how easy ordering a PPV movie was from your remote. It really was easy....and that's the last PPV movie I ever ordered! I think that was about 8 years ago.

12. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    As much as I hate mailing in a form, this one was easy. I saw the credit on my account less than two weeks after mailing. Five bucks is five bucks.

13. rta53

rta53 Legend

Apr 10, 2010
    So how did you get the rebate form? I thought it had to be mailed to you, and according to the web site it would take several weeks before it would be mailed. :shrug:

14. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Yeah, that's my question as well.

The email I had said the rebate form will be mailed to me and then I have to mail it back. (Of course there was no link to an online rebate PDF or submission, because, well, that would just be too convenient for the customers.)

15. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    I'm not sure why I get them but DirecTV mails them to me periodically throughout the year. When I get one I order a movie and then mail it in. You probably get one whenever you order a movie on PPV and they send you one so you can order another movie for free.

16. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    They just show up on the mail. I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly the credit showed up.

17. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Mine showed up in my monthly bill yesterday. I get paper bills.

18. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Damn free stuff!

19. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    How is any one going to bitch about something being free??? No matter how difficult or tedious it is to get your money back or a credit. Just unreal. Stop complaining. If you don't like what you have to do to get the credit then just move on. Some of you just love to complain about every little thing. Get a freaking life.

20. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm always amused when people take the time to complain about other people taking the time to complain, following that up with "Get a life". Kind of universal, eh?