1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Showtime -- What's going on?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by makaiguy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Was just looking at my account on the DTV website and saw this on the Account Overview page:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just checked and sure enough, I'm getting Showtime, although I've never subscribed to it. Reviewing my bill doesn't show any mention of Showtime, either.

I thought maybe this was an anniversary gift that they hadn't bothered to tell me about, but to the best of my recollection, my anniversary month is not 'til September or October. Can't find anything in my account info indicating an anniversary gift (or even my start date to confirm my anniversary month).

Anybody got a clue?

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...did you call and ask them?

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    My guess is you are getting 3 free month as your anniversary gift. The last time I received this - I received a post card in the mail just about 2 weeks before it ended telling me what a wonderful customer I am and enjoy my gift.

This year for my 17th anniversary with DirecTV, I received $5.00 off 1 billing cycle

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The DirecTV web site said "tell us how you are enjoying your free gift" even thought I hadn't gotten one. So a CSR gave me free Showtime for TWO months. Whoppee. I think I've watched 3 movies since the programming on Showtime is so awful. Do people actually pay full price for this premium channel??

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I do for about half the year (during Dexter, The Tudors, Nurse Jackie, and United States of Tara)

6. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i use all them networks like showtime , hbo , starz not for there movies but for there tvshows like Dexter,Weeds,True Blood and alot more, them networks are not only movies anymore

7. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yeah... the first year year I received Showtime, I was 2 months into my 3 free months before I was notified I had it. Luckily, I had stumbled onto it after a month. The second year, I was ready for it, and was notified a month into the three free months.

This year for my "fictional" 6th year with DirecTV (it's really 16 years), I got a free PPV movie. I threw the info away...

I guess I shouldn't complain about their notice for my "free gift" though, as I was told when I first called about upgrading some of my equipment in anticipation of locals launching that DirecTV would notify me of locals launching. They never did...

You can scratch USoT off the list (cancelled!)...

~Alan

8. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Same here - only in it for their self-produced series. But they've gotten clever about it. Seems like they never stop one interesting series before they start up another a couple weeks later. Makes it hard to just subscribe part of the year like I used to!

9. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Doh, must have missed that news.

I liked that it ran at the same time as Nurse Jackie, so the cost of Showtime was worth it for both shows. Might have to reevaluate now.

10. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Sneaky devils... :D

Lionsgate has been releasing NJ on Blu-ray, and are quite reasonable. There would be a wait involved, but if it's all you care about at the time, that's an alternative.

~Alan

11. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    yep, don't think I'll pay $12 per month just for NJ next time. Will have to wait to watch.

12. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Gladly. Lots of HD movies on Showtime and The Movie Channel that you can't find elsewhere.

Yes, many of them are awful. That's part of the fun of being a movie fan.

13. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    .. and the reason I would call and alert them to a possible mistake at their end would be ... ??

14. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I agree it is most likely an anniversary award. Can anyone point me to where I would find my anniversary date on the DTV website?

15. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Either I missed it last night, or it wasn't there yet, but today I see this:

16. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    It's not on the website....you need to call or email to find that out.

17. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I don't think you necessarily get your anniversary gift during your anniversary. When I was getting the FREE SHOWTIME, it started in mid-May while my actual anniversary is July 31st. The $5.00 credit I received this year for an anniversary gift came off my June billing cycle.

18. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    1 year of free Showtime/Movie Channel was my 5th anniversary gift.

19. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    I got a year of free Showtime in May and caught the last episode of the Borgias. So far they haven't had any more, I wonder when they will start the re-runs?

20. rich67

rich67 Mentor

Mar 11, 2009
    The only problem with this unnotified free gift is, at the end, if you don't cancel it, they start billing you for it.