Free Sunday Ticket and Strange Email?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mika911, Sep 18, 2017.

1. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Early last week I received an odd email from DirecTV, but it did have my account number with it, so I went ahead and clicked the link.

It said as I was a new customer (I actually been there 17 years), I was getting Sunday Ticket free in 2017 and to cancel before 2018 if I don't want to be charged.

I clicked "add." and it said it would be added in a few days.

Sure enough, it was added with no charges.

What in the world is that about? Should I be concerned or just leave be? I doubt we'll ever watch it because we only watch the local team, but whatever?

I wonder if it could have renewed my contract or anything? The email did not state that.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Thanks!!!

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Got the email last month.

mika911 likes this.
  3. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Thanks Mark! Did you take advantage of it too?

I'm wondering if it is a tactic to get some auto renewal charges in 2018?

Whatever the case, it is a nice gesture, even if computers decide who receive it. ha.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    A number of longtime subscribers got that email and signed up.

Not sure what the tactic is, but you will need to cancel before next season or you'll be charged the full amount for the 2018 season. Your bill will have reminders starting a few months before the season, but it is surprising how many don't actually read their bills.

Put a reminder on your computer to cancel next summer.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    D* TV & The NFL -Need eye balls (now) and in 2018 adding those that will forget to cancel - Good Viewing for all those that get ST - I have lost interest myself

6. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I got the email as well. Took 3 or 4 days to show on my account but it was there. Seemed odd, but I read the fine print and could not see any reason not to do it.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've always wondered about the ST, I can see it for someone who bets on games or is just a football (any football, anywhere) nut. Living in the NYC Metro area we get quite a few games, usually good games. I'd have to change my lifestyle if I had the ST. I'd have to go thru what I go thru with the Yankees games but on a larger scale. I can't even Google anything about the Yankees, I know Google would start (and never stop) sending me updates on the games which I record and never watch live. I Googled "Red Sox" once and they keep sending info about the Sox. My problem: I cannot watch a sporting event if I know the score or who won. One exception to that is boxing. I do watch PPV fights even if I know who won. That Mcgregor-Mayweather fight is a good example of that. That was a much better fight than I expected and I can't understand why it was not recognized as a "great" bout. I think I'll start a new thread about the ST, must have some advantages I'm not aware of.

Rich

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I thought it was part of a 49ers compensation plan..... as in, "we know your team sucked last season, will suck this season, this will help you watch some good games".

9. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    The value is for someone who isn't a fan of any of the teams that are considered local and thus get only those games on normal TV. It has become less and less of a value in recent years with all the Thursday night, Sunday night, occasional double Monday games and the games in London.
    Since there is no incremental cost for any individual users - they have nothing to lose by offering it free and hope either people love it and keep it or forget to cancel it.

WestDC likes this.
  10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    When Sunday Ticket started, it was perfect for people in the NYC market. Back then, the Jets & Giants both sucked and there was only one national game per week. Due to the old NFL blackout rules, we rarely got a doubleheader because the 4:00 Jets or Giants game prevented them from being shown. I remember seasons where there would be a huge game between a couple of 12 win teams and we'd be stuck watching a 2-10 Jets play some other team with 4 wins, while the rest of the country watched "the big game".

Now, with 3 national games per week, and changes to blackout rules, it's a rare occurrence when the season's "big game" is not available in NYC. It has really lessened the value of Sunday Ticket for people who aren't a) a fan of a specific out of market team, b) a gambler or c) in a fantasy football league.

This is the first year since becoming a DirecTV customer in 1996 that I haven't subscribed to it. I realized that last year's subscription was a total waste of money as I didn't watch it once.

Rich likes this.
  11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The Jets have sucked...since '69. They don't seem to care. Kinda doubt the 49ers would be any different.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Never considered the fantasy football thing, good catch. I am kinda thinking about gambling again. Money to be made betting against the Jets and riding the Falcons all season.

Would you take the ST if it were free of cost?

Rich

13. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    In the 2015+2016+2017 seasons, the Jets have won 11 games total. In that same period, the 49ers have won only SEVEN games.

Of course, can the Jets fill the stadium? Probably better than the 49ers. It's all Jed York's fault!!!!!!!

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Pretty sure the 49ers are a better run team, how could they be worse than the Jets?

Rich

15. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Same thing here. When it didn't show in a week I figured they'd caught their error that I'm far from a new subscriber and didn't activate. After reading this thread I checked again and now it's there.

As a Pittsburgh boy far from home I can usually get half or more of the Steeler games on national coverage games, but never felt it was worth paying for ST to get the remaining games, but for free it's a no brainer.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Rich likes this.
  16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Two words: Jim Harbaugh. Even though he was not in the playoffs in his fourth and final season, the first three season, he lead the team to the NFC championships (after a eight season drought), and one of those was a Super Bowl--the first in eighteen years. In the fourth (and final season), he had a record of eight-and-eight. The 2015 and 2016 seasons had one-and-done coaches. The combined 2015+2016+2017 (so far) has seven won games to total.... one less than Harbaugh's final season.

The problem starts at the top: Jed York. It works it way downward. Kaep's antics did not help. And, the die-hard 49er faithful (which I am not) have been alienated.

Would it be safe to say that the state of NFL football isn't all that great in the state of California? The best of the four NFL teams at the moment, the Raiders, will depart in three seasons for Las Vegas. The Chargers did a good job of alienating their fans when they moved to Los Angeles, and they didn't even fill up a 30,000 seat arena. The Rams weren't welcome back with open arms.

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually the rams have been welcomed back with open arms... but they need to not suck to get a lot of people to actually pay for tickets to go to a game when we have usc, UCLA, Dodgers, Lakers and even the Clippers... chargers, I don’t know, they all screwed up that mess in San Diego. And I believe they did sell out the game this week did they not? Pre season no one cares...

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I would be thrilled to swap the Jets for any CA team. I can't believe there's a worse coach in the NFL than Todd Bowles. The Chargers, oh boy, would I like to see them playing home games in the Meadowlands. I see a TEAM when I watch the Chargers. When I watch the Jets I see a bunch of guys in pads on a football field trying to cope with a TEAM. That never works. Why the Jets didn't sign Kaepernick is beyond me, something about his "values" turned management off. Screwing the fans year after year is an example of a team with "values"? Give me a break. The only thing that will cause a turnaround is an empty stadium on game day. Do that for a whole season and we'd see some talent...maybe...

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's just another thing that bothers me about the NFL. Who cares about preseason games aside from the coaches? I can't watch them. Hard enough to watch a regular season Jets game. If the preseason games weren't played this year perhaps the injury to OBJ wouldn't have occurred and I'd have one team doing well. The Giants are hard to watch this year what with Eli running for his life at every snap. Boy, do we have teams with holes...no offensive line is a big hole. Keep waiting for Eli to get hurt, guess who's Plan B?

Rich

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think the jets figure they can get one of three top quarterbacks in the draft and didn’t want to screw up those chances by getting better at coaching, or qb, or anything else. If it’s only one year that’d be one thing, but they have been reeling it seems like since they got rid of Sanchez...