1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freedom Tower is out, World Trade Center is in

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mavrick, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    NEW YORK - The Freedom Tower is out. One World Trade Center is in.

The agency that owns the site says that the signature 1,776-foot skyscraper replacing the towers destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001, will be known as One World Trade Center.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29913195/

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that's just fine, that's probably what people would have called it anyway.

Note: I read the article and would like to remind our members that political discussions are not allowed at DBSTalk.com.

3. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Wow, I looked at the picture, and the top of the tower looks.....rude. Excited, but rude.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The design hasn't changed, just the name.

5. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Here is a link to some ground zero cams.You can see the construction in progress.
    With cam 3 you can see the steel work rising.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/groundzero/

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I have to say I never liked the name "Freedom Tower", but I do not agree that the new building should be called "1 World Trade Center". As former Governor Pataki said, the addresses for 1 and 2 World Trade Center are now open pits that will eventually be reflecting pools at the exact location where the buildings once stood. To call a new building "1 World Trade Center" to me is just not something I'd like to see done ... it should have a new address or new name, so that the "Wold Trade Center" name is only is only associated with the reflecting pools.

7. sideswipe

sideswipe Legend

Dec 4, 2008
    I'll agree w/Drew2k on this, Freedom Tower wasnt the best name but this I personally feel is worse, give it a totally new name & let the pools be remembered for what World Trade Center was

8. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Prefer the name "One World Trade Center" over that of "Freedom Tower". I can fully sympathize with those who would prefer the name "World Trade Center" not be used again but if I given a choice, I prefer the name "World Trade Center"

9. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm fine with using the World Trade Center name, just not using "One" and "Two" as part of the address. Call the new building "Three World Trade Center" and it becomes a lasting memorial to the previous buildings and all those lost that day. Just a thought ...

(I really do dislike the name Freedom Tower, though.)

10. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I personally believe that the buildings should have been rebuilt exactly in the same foot print they once were on and both one floor higher than they once were just to stand up to those who destroyed the Twin Towers.I could also imagine the feeling people would have being in them day after day,so I know that could not have been done.This is a tuff topic.
    People I think will still call it "The World Trade Center" when referring to the new building.

11. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Since there was a Three World Trade Center, I don't think the number three should be used.

12. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
  13. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    The World Trade Center was actually a complex of 7 buildings, and the new complex at the same site is also being called the World Trade Center.

7 World Trade Center has already been rebuilt.

The Freedom Tower was the name for one of the new buildings at the WTC. The other towers are planned as Tower 2, 3, 4, and 5. There is no 6.

But since the twin towers destroyed on Sept 11 were 1 and 2 WTC, I don't think those names should be reused.

If they don't want to use the name Freedom Tower, how about "1776 World Trade Center"?

Towers 2-5 could simply be called 3, 4, 5, and 6 World Trade Center.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Perhaps World Trade Center Memorial Plaza would be a good name....:)

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Oh yeah....forgot to ponder out loud...what are the odds that my 10, 911th post would be about the World Trade Center?

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I would have gone with the original name. Call it "Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center."

I sure hope that this isn't a "One World" trade center. I don't want to see patriotism exchanged for the concept of world unity.

17. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    The news report I heard made it sound like it was bending to the wishes of the Chinese company that signed an occupancy lease. Later on, in another article, I found out that "1 WTC" was actually in paperwork as early as 2006 and "Freedom Tower" has been 'officially' gone for a long time - it just wasn't publicly acknowledged.

18. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    The address for that location is 1 WTC. It should be called 1 WTC.

19. Italia

Italia Godfather

Dec 8, 2008
    I'm on the same page with you. I hope they rethink this plan.