Freeview: HBO, Showtime, Starz & Cinemax Nov. 24 - 27, 2016

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by the future is now, Nov 10, 2016.

1. the future is now

the future is now AllStar

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
  2. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    this is usually just Starz for Thanksgiving but others have joined this year.

3. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    Hope there is some good movies to record for this weekend

4. mjd180

mjd180 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2010
    You meant to say next weekend...

5. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    No I didn't, but it shows the flexibilities of the English language. By "this weekend", I meant the weekend under discussion. Didn't realize the possibility of confusion. My bad, should have phrased it better.

1 person likes this.
  6. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    I usually record a few movies during these freeviews, but I noticed this time I wasn't able to schedule any recordings in advance. Is this new, or have I just missed a bunch of freeviews, which is likely.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, DIRECTV modified the software to let the customer be able to order the channel right from the remote control as long as that receiver is connected to the internet. The downside is that you can't no longer schedule in advance in free previews since the OSD does not let you unless you subscribe or the channel opens during the free preview time frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've found that "next" really doesn't mean "next" anymore. If today was Thursday, your post would have been correct. If I were to say "see you next Saturday", well, you can see how confusing that would be. I guess it would help to put in a date, but according to a couple dictionaries I've had to use, I'd be looking for you a week from tomorrow. I still don't get it... :nono2:

Rich

9. Insomniac2k

Insomniac2k AllStar

Aug 21, 2007
    In the context that bjdotson used, this was referring to the free preview weekend, not the upcoming weekend on the calendar. I don't think there's much confusion of this/next in general. This = the current/upcoming weekend. Next is the following weekend after this weekend.

I usually manually record the movies I want in the first 8-12 hours of the preview and then come back and record the rest when they are "activated". My question is, when do these previews start and end (the hour). I usually get a couple movies that start in the real early AM and end a little into the day after the preview ended, but never really know if they'll be there until I check.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I understand what you mean. But it still depends on when you say it. Today is Monday. According to what I have read if I say "see you next Tuesday" today that should refer to a week from tomorrow, not tomorrow. You might want to look up "next" in detail. This is an argument that I lost because I was being too rational...

Rich

11. mjd180

mjd180 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2010
    6 AM EST...

12. mjd180

mjd180 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Anybody else still not gotten an official message about this event?

In fact, I can't find anything directly from Directv about this.

I'm having serious doubts this is even happening...

13. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    They tweeted this afternoon:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    In addition to the tweet trainman linked, check your latest bill. I have paperless billing and under the "What You Need to Know" section it says:
    The Inside DirecTV newsletter that comes with your bill mentions it on the front cover and details it on the 3rd page:
    http://news.directv.com/inside-directv/
    http://news.directv.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/November_Newsletter_Digital_HD.pdf

There will likely be a message tommorow and several banners in the guide like they did with the HD Extra Pack preview last weekend.

1 person likes this.
  15. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i could understand your hesitation but i would never put up something that was not true and i also included a link thou it is not from DirecTV either.

i also got an email from DirecTV but not sure everyone got the same one.

mjd180 likes this.
  16. skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk Mentor

May 24, 2007
    FYI, just a warning.

I have a Genie and I set up Ash v. Evil Dead, seasons one and two to record and even though there were scheduled airings coming up it started downloading episodes from VOD, which of course I would not have been able to watch after the freeview was over.,

I went back and manually clicked on each episode to record.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Did you set the recordings up before the Free preview started? As mentioned above, you have to wait until during the preview window.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is normal behavior unless you use the " upcoming episodes" selection to set up the series link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk Mentor

May 24, 2007
    No, I didn't. That's one of the reasons I was surprised.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    no need to be surprised as the receiver is behaving as it supposed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk