Freeview: HD Extra Pack (May 12-18) and XTRA Package (May 24-30)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by the future is now, May 11, 2016.

1. the future is now

the future is now AllStar

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    http://www.freepreview.tv/hd-programming/hd-extra-pack-free-preview-on-directv.html

HD Extra Pack:

Channel Lineup:
    565 – Hallmark Movie Channel HD
    566 – HDNet Movies
    567 – MGM HD
    568 – Sony Movie Channel HD
    569 – Universal HD
    570 – Smithsonian HD
    571 – Crime & Investigation HD
    572 – Palladia HD
    573 – Shorts HD

From "InsideDirecTV":

XTRA Package, May 24-30: FXX, fyi, Tennis Channel, Viceland, FXM, FS2, DIY Network, Destination America and more

2. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i know you can get three free months of HD Extra Pack but never sign up for it. so i always look forward to these previews for the one or two things that i want to see...

3. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    I get this for free via a trick somebody posted in these forums. The HD Extra Pack is free for three months. You add it on (online), and then turn it off (again, online) before the three months are over. Wait a day or two. It will still show "free for three months" online (it does all the time), and you add it back. Repeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    No need to wait a day or two. As soon as it is cancelled you should be able to go back to the programming page and it will show up as $0 for 3 months again.

I usually forget to do it every three months, so I end up paying for a partial month every now and then.

1 person likes this.
  5. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i'm too lazy

6. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    The trick doesn't work if you have a grandfathered package like I do. You have to call to cancel before the three months are up. Every time. Not worth the hassle since we don't watch that much on those channels.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

7. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    It's once every 3 months. It takes 2 minutes. Put a reminder on your phone or computer or something.

8. skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk Mentor

May 24, 2007
    I wish it took only a few minutes. Unfortunately you can't cancel it on line, you have to call in. I've been on hold for long stretches many times and have had to call back many times.

Then, if I'm lucky I can do a voice command cancel, but if I'm not they make me talk with a rep to cancel who proceeds to try to sell my all kinds of different packages...

It's still worth it, but it can be annoying.

9. thyname

thyname Member

May 9, 2015
    United States
    You can certainly cancel online. I have done it three times already

10. skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk Mentor

May 24, 2007
    hmmm, I'll try again next time, but all the other times there has not been an option for that for me; very strange

11. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Once logged in, under My Account, go to My Programming.
    At the right end of the block for DIRECTV® HD EXTRA PACK, look for a faint circle with an X in it. Click that to cancel.

But as said above, if you have an old discontinued programming package that you are still grandfathered into, this may not be available to you.

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As far as I know the HD Extra pack is the only premium you can cancel online, all of the others require you to call in but it doesn't. That includes when I had the discontinued Choice Extra Classic or whatever it was called (the one before they came out with Choice Ultimate).

13. FLWingNut

FLWingNut Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    When I tried to cancel to save the money, I couldn't online. Since I have a grandfathered package I had to call.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

14. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i see the XTRA Package includes Sundance and now that it is in HD i should find something to record.

15. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    Actually, Sundance TV is on "Choice", the lower package below "Choice XTRA". I get Sundance HD on "Choice" but i don't watch it anymore because they decided (AMC) that people want edited movies instead of uncut.
    IFC is still unedited (even with commercials it's still uncut), so it's still like a premium channel.
    Sundance now is just like watching ABC or TBS.
    I prefer watching "The Departed" with the "F" word intact, instead of "gosh darn".
    So, in my case, IFC, even with commercials, is far better than Sundance because they show and hear what the Irish Mafia speaks.
    If you're OK with that then fine, but if a channel used to be the "F" word station and now chooses to be the "gosh darn" station, then i say see ya.
    Sorry for the rant.

1 person likes this.
  16. paranoia

paranoia DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 12, 2014
    New England
    Great movie !! just saying.

17. the future is now

Jun 9, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i hear you. i did get two movies but not a fan of the newer format either.