1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freezes, dropouts and slow response

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ray3, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Ray3

Ray3 Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I upgraded to the HR54 and C61K combo in early October and until Thursday, everything has been a welcome change from my HR24s.

However, on Thursday evening I experienced incredible slowdowns when pushing buttons on the remote to the point of the system being totally unresponsive, freezes, pixelated screens and audio dropouts. To the point the system was unusable. So I watched AppleTV on Thursday night instead.

The next day I went to the internet for answers. Tried all of the usual suspects - Cables, HDMI cables, resets, clearing NVRAM. Nada. THere were a large number of comments regarding the integrity of wires and connections in a DirecTV system.

After trying several of the above possible solutions, I remembered that I had moved system components around on Thursday afternoon, including moving the HR54 slightly (and I mean just a bit).

I then checked the HR54 and discovered 2 things. First, the power cable plug was a bit loose to the point where I got a slight but audible click when I pushed it in. Second, in looking closely at the back of the HR54 and the power plug I noticed it is not a very secure connection and it loosens REALLY easily when I move the HR54. Since re-seating the power cord, no issues.

I am posting this because I didn't see any discussions that included the power plug issue I mentioned above. It might be just that simple to solve a number of people's issues. Hopefully this is another data point that might make troubleshooting easier.

TomF and Rich like this.
  2. Ray3

Ray3 Cool Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Oops. I forgot to mention that I also turned off the power saving feature in Settings.