DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezing/Pixelation issues on your Genie? Here's how you can help

109K views 191 replies 64 participants last post by  Stuart Sweet 
#1 ·
If you're experiencing freezing or pixelation issues on your Genie, post a description here. Also, do a keyword search for SENDREPORT -- this will give you the opportunity to send a report to DIRECTV engineers. I can't guarantee it will help, or that they'll even see the reports, but if you do that and post the report here I'll try to get the attention of the right people.

#2 ·
Stuart
I have channels freezing and pixelation when chaning channels or sometimes going to chane a channel I called told DirectTV the first time DirectTV step by step me through their typical script of useless troubleshooting procedures their is Nothing the matter with installation like dish misalignment, cabling, multiswitches I had a supervisor out to exachange my first DVRHD34 this is my second one I did not call back yet this time what should I tell DirectTV get a receiver or is it the software only what do I tell DirectTV please get back to me please ?

#3 ·
Since the lateset firmware, I have had a couple of instances where recorded programs will randomly freeze, as if they are paused, but the status bar shows it still playing. If I FF a couple of seconds I can continue to play, but just hitting play doesn't do anything. This is very random (doesn't happen on all recordings, and thankfully I haven't experienced it on live tv yet). I have never experienced this with my HR34 before the latest firmware was updated.

#4 ·
Live TV seems to like to randomly freeze. Pressing FF does nothing, but if I hit pause, I can see in the progress bar that the TV programming is still there and can FF back to live. Really weird. It's like it's detecting a phantom pause button press, but doesn't behave like a normal pause would.

#7 ·
I have been having this problem since the last firmware upgrade on recorded shows. I was starting to think the hard drive was starting to fail since it does not appear to happen on live TV. I have had the same show record on all three of our DVRs and only the Genie has the faulty recording.

Symptoms are heavy pixelation with stuttering sound and possibly total freeze of the show. It is possible to fast forward past the problem.

#8 ·
Was watching TV last night from my HR34 (x740 firmware) & C31 and having multiple freezing issues going on for about the 2 - 3 hours I was watching. They were all shows that were still recording but watching from DVR. While watching the shows it would just freeze for a few seconds and then continue about every 5 - 15 minutes or so but very noticeable where my wife even said what's going on and did get very annoying. Also had the pixelation issues when the freezing would happen sometimes also but the bigger issue was the freezing. Remote response seemed a little non-responsive at times also when FF or whatever. I'll try to send a report tonight when I get some time.

#9 ·
I have a Genie, an HR44/200 with the 0x7 update which came 3 weeks ago. Every five days or so the live picture freezes. If I change the channel, it works for about 30 seconds and then it freezes. Last week, the picture froze at 12:29 a.m. (sportscenter has that clock on the screen) but it successfully recorded two shows while it was frozen. So it is just freezing on playback?

#10 ·
I have a Genie, an HR44/200 with the 0x7 update which came 3 weeks ago. Every five days or so the live picture freezes. If I change the channel, it works for about 30 seconds and then it freezes. Last week, the picture froze at 12:29 a.m. (sportscenter has that clock on the screen) but it successfully recorded two shows while it was frozen. So it is just freezing on playback?

#11 ·
How can I find out date of last firmware upgrade? Had a number of issues with freezing and pixulation last spring, had tech out, he did a few things was much better for a couple of months until the last couple of weeks now getting much worse again. Am wondering could these times when it's got worse be the same times when firmware was upgraded?? So wondering what the upgrade dates may have been??

#12 ·
Last night (Sept 12) my 2 month old HR34 (latest software) froze. I was able to watch my current program but could not change channels. The guide would come up but not able to enter a channel number. Have seen a few cases over the past few days of pix and quick searching for signal (1-2 seconds)

Required a red button reset.

#13 ·
Ed_Roch said:
How can I find out date of last firmware upgrade? Had a number of issues with freezing and pixulation last spring, had tech out, he did a few things was much better for a couple of months until the last couple of weeks now getting much worse again. Am wondering could these times when it's got worse be the same times when firmware was upgraded?? So wondering what the upgrade dates may have been??
Firmware on the Genies is easy: Just go to Settings, Settings and the version and number are there. For clients, I see only the version, so if you post that, someone may be able to give at least an approximate date.

#14 ·
I'm noticing random pixelation on my new HR34. I'll see it happen while using both the Genie and my mini-Genie. It's very random, and does not seem to be weather related as it's happened on cloudless days/nights.

It 'feels' like a HD issue. It happens during live programs as well as while watching recorded programs.

#15 ·
Because my C31 is in the room where my computer is, I sent a report from here first, thinking I'd send another from my HR34 next. The HR34 is telling me to wait an hour before I send another report. Should I send another if I sent it from my C31?

My report #: 20130922-28E2

#16 ·
I have random pixelation and freezing while watching recorded program on my HR34 since the last
firmware upgrade. I tried sending an error report but keep getting an "error 9". It's really annoying. I tried all of the usual troubleshooting procedures. I dread calling DTV and going through "the script".

#17 ·
HR34-700
20130926-2A2A

As usual, the problem only occurs on recordings made on WNBC channel 4 in NYC. Tonight it happened on Revolution at 8pm est. A backup copy made on another dvr did not have any of these issues.

#19 ·
Hr44-500

I see quick breakups and glitches quite often watching recordings. This report was send while watching a local Fox channel. It happens quite often but I don't see it on the HR24's. It appears to happen on any channel.

Report - 20131001-2624

Software 0x741

#20 ·
No pixelation problems but random freezing on both recorded and live viewing. Sometimes the screen goes black while froze and sometimes not. FF does nothing. I've found if I hit the skip I will hear a brief moment of sound but stil no picture but if I hit the skip several times in a row it will eventually go back to normal! Makes no sense to me. I'll post a report next time it happens. This is happening on an HR34 running 0740.

#22 ·
I am having a pixilation issue as well, it's happening on multiple receivers for me as well as a few co-woekers, neighbors and family that lives across the state. The issues does not seem to only affect one channel or and also occurs on live or recorded TV. DirecTV claims there is no known issue but given the number of people I personally know having the problem I doubt it. I am days about from switching service because my HR34 is experiencing this problem so much that most of my shows are not watchable. I have included a sample video of what I am experiencing below, in this particular 30 minute show it happened 14 times. Some of the shows I watch are not on HULU or VOD so I am having to buy them on iTunes - at this point I am starting to think that might a better option all around... HR-34 700, 0x740, Tue 8/27, 3:50a, Problem report 20131007-45FF

http://vimeo.com/76392708

#23 ·
Unfortunately, I'm now experiencing pixelization and freezing too. Just tried to watch my recording of the Amazing Race from 10/6 and it was unwatchable. What is going on?

I have an HR34 running 0x740.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#24 ·
I'm seeing the described behavior only when playing back recordings of a basketball game. Seems they run down the floor and breakup/pixelation. I wonder if it has anything to do with processing power since there is alot to decode when they are moving?

#25 ·
On current National Release / HR34.

Pixelation just started on the most recent NR Firmware. Will not bother describing it as it already well known what it looks like. Have seen it happen multiple times in same program, but not more than 2-5 times per show, unlike others who are reporting up to 14 times in a show.

Many times unit will not respond to commands, just freezes. This is not new.

At end of playback, unit locks up to 30 seconds before asking delete or not. This is not new either.

Live Programming often freezes, but I have noticed this is very often in the :59/:01 or :29/:31 area where new recordings are starting / old recordings are ending. This is not new either.

All these show up on multiple HR34s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.