1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

frequent guide download...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by e0rbay, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e0rbay

e0rbay Cool Member

Jun 13, 2004
    hi... i'm new here, and to DishNetwork.

i've noticed that once a day, the first time i turn the tv on and goto the chan guide, i have to wait about 40 seconds or so while the guide info is downloaded.

i am NOT turning the receiever off at any time. only the tv gets powered on, the sat box stays on all the time.

why, even though i'm never disconnecting from my sat feed, am i required to download the guide info. shouldn't it stay up to date all the time?

is this something i should contact DN support about?

thanks for the info.

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    With Dish Network, the program guide data that is carried on each transponder contains only the current program and next program information for the browse function. You need to turn off the receiver (actually, put it in standy) in order for your receiver to receive all of the updated program information.

3. e0rbay

e0rbay Cool Member

Jun 13, 2004
    so i should turn the receiever off then when i'm done watching TV each time?

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Yes, put the receiver in "stand-by" whenever it's not in use.

"Stand-by" is what happens when you hit the "Power" button. No modern consumer electronics device with a remote ever truly turns off - otherwise you couldn't turn it "on" again. :)

5. e0rbay

e0rbay Cool Member

Jun 13, 2004
    hehe... okay. i'll start doing that.

so what happens then when you put it in standby... it downloads the full guide while in standby?

thank you very much for the info. i'm glad i asked... i was getting quite annoyed with that. hehehehe.

6. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Would it be possible for Dish Network to automatically download the EPG data or turn the box off after an x amount of hours after inactivity?

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Some receivers DO go to "stand-by" after a certain amount of inactivity. I think there's a screen to say how many hours. I forget which boxes do that.

EPG data IS automatically downloaded every night at around 04:00 or so eastern time - as long as the box is shut down.

Note that 2-output boxes (322, 522) must have BOTH "TV outputs" shut down. That is, both the blue and green LEDs must be off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.