Frequent pauses during playback

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Chardo, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    My HD DVR has been pausing every few seconds during playback of recordings. Seems to happen most on recordings where two shows were recorded at once or where one was recorded while a different recording was being watched. This basically amounts to just about every show we watch.

Recordings will be jerky as if hitting pause every few seconds. It's in the recording itself, since pauses happen in exact spots if i rewind and replay.
    What is going on? Any solutions?

2. alphajim

alphajim New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    You can try a system reset, but this seems to be the symptom of hard drive about to die

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What kind of HR and do you have an eSATA on it?

Rich

4. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    HR21-700. No eSATA. Resets have not helped at all.

5. doo4usc

doo4usc Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    Temecula
    I just posted the same thing a few mins ago.Mine started about noon local time.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Could this be an alignment problem? I see that you get the problem on your recordings and can rewind and see the problems in the same place. That means that your HR is recording the problem, so you can rule out the HRs recording ability as a cause.

Is your system grounded? You should have a grounding block with four cables attached to it and the block itself attached to a grounding source.

As I've said so many times, it is difficult to troubleshoot without laying hands and eyes on a ''system''. Given that, my first thought would be that the problem lies not with your 21-700 (which is one of my favorite HRs, the 20-700 being the other one), but with your "system" that is feeding the HR. Were I you, I would schedule a realignment and check of your LNBs. If your alignment is OK and LNBs are OK, then perhaps a faulty cable is the problem. Do you have "compression" fittings on all your cables? A badly crimped cable can cause this problem.

What I would not do is allow D* to send you a replacement HR until all the other things that might be causing this are taken care of. Sending you a replacement is the easy way out for them. Make them check your ''system" thoroughly before getting a replacement.

Rich

7. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    Thanks, Rich, always a pleasure dealing with fellow Yankees fans (and fellow Rich's).

I have a second HR21 in another room that works perfectly. How does that change your advice?

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good. Switch them and see what happens. If no problems occur on the HR you put on the cables of the "bad" HR, you know the HR is bad. Simple.

Wish they'd lay off A-Rod. Getting sick of it. Ballplayers been doping since...baseball was born. Think Ty Cobb wasn't drinking cocaine laced Coca Cola or doing God knows what? People don't get that nasty normally. Or that many hits in such a relatively short time.

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Could still be a ''bad'' cable feeding the one room. If that is the case, switching the HRs should give you the same problem in that room. If no problems occur, a replacement HR is probably the next step. The 21s are a lot more finicky about the sat sigs than the 20-700s. I was having no problems at all a year ago last January and then I got my first 21 and my first taste of 771s. None of my 20-700s had any problem with the sat sigs, but the 21s sure did.

Rich

10. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    I went through with the reset/reformat. Didn't have too much critical stuff saved, so no real big loss. Had a marathon couch potato session to watch the must-see stuff.

Anyway, looks like problem solved. Concurrent recordings seem to play back normally. We'll see if it holds up.

11. cody21

cody21 Icon

Sep 26, 2007
    Add me to the list ... This seemed to start about a week ago. Until then it was rock solid. I could reproduce the problem by watching someting live, pausing, backing up a bit, PLAY ... the play-back of the buffered area wold be very jerky. If I pressed FFWD to "catch up" to real time, everything would play just fine - no jerkiness.

I finally pressed RESET last night (not reformat) ... Tested afterwards and it performs as it should ... for now... I really am thinking the latest release introduced this .... but who knows?

12. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    Problem not solved after all. Even after reformatting the drive, same problem with jerky playbacks. Called DTV and had them send out a new unit. We agreed that service call was not needed since live TV was fine and DVR in other room works perfectly, so not a dish problem.

New unit arrived (HR22 this time) and installed. However, it would not activate. Trouble receiving some satellite signals. Turns out they have to send someone here after all. He comes tomorrow. Update to follow.

13. totalchaos

totalchaos New Member

Aug 4, 2008
    i'm also having problem with playback freezing.

14. twaller

twaller Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Not only is my HR21 freezing on playback, but all "live" TV is "herky Jerky" and basically unwatchable. Called D*, they wanted to send out a tech at $49.99! What a waste of money. This is a hardware problem. I have 2 other DVRs and no problems with them. My signal strengths on all Satellites and both tuners are perfect. Do I have to wait until the HD totally dies and it won't boot?
    Very frustrating that you know what the problem is and can't get resolution.

15. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    Live TV is ok for me, unless I rewind. If I'm delayed, playback is just as bad as recordings. Tech comes out this afternoon. Fortunately I paid for the service plan, so no cost. I'll update later.

16. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I am seeing this as well in Northern CA.

So far two HR20-700's are being affected, one with eSata, one without. Both units have a great signal (all 90's). One is on NR, the other isn't.

Its random in nature, and its most certainly not a figment of your imagination.

17. huskerhead

huskerhead AllStar

Oct 27, 2002
    I had that happen yesterday on one of three HR22-100's in my house. Two were just fine but the main one was basically unwatchable on live TV (loacal and Sat). Signal strength wasn't an issue (85-100%) so I had to reset the receiver three times. The first two times it got stuck downloading the guide data. Now things seem to be okay but I'll check again when I get home tonight. Hope the SWiMline dish isn't the problem.

18. Chardo

Chardo AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    We may not have needed the installer after all. Guy came and installed the new unit, and during activation came to the same error screen showing trouble receiving some satellites. Since he had checked signal strength before, and found consistent 90+ on all, he just continued right through the error screen and finished the activation. Said this happens sometimes with the HD machines. Anyway, everything is good. We'll resume recordings throughout the week and see how it goes.