Frequent reboots due to electrical flutters

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sammib, Jul 13, 2011.

1. sammib

sammib AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    I have 2 HR20-700s. It seems that they have become very sensitive to brief electric current flutters. Recent storms have caused the current to flutter and caused the machines to reboot. This has become a real pain in the a** since it takes 5-10 min to reboot. of course this screws up stuff being recorded. Anyone have any comments or possible solutions?

2. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Use a UPS for each DVR.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    yeah I am in area in Maine where if wind in Texas blows I flicker.
    UPS is essential to watching tv all damn day :)

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    My power is pretty solid, and I still have a UPS for every DVR and one for the SWM (people forget about that one).

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If your power is flickering, you dont leave all your computers and tvs and other valuable electronics on do you? But seriously, if you have frequent power fluctuations, you need a UPS that will help overcome the flutters...its the only way.

6. sammib

sammib AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    Thanks for the help guys but I'm dumb. What's a UPS?

7. elixir26

elixir26 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    It's a battery back up device that powers your stuff during a power outage. It also can prevent spikes and voltage fluctuation that will cause your stuff to reboot. Mine will power my dvr and swm for a little over an hour. They are available at most electronic retail stores...Best Buys.. ect

8. nickff

nickff Legend

Dec 8, 2007
    I had the same problem so now my SWM (or power inserter or whatever it is called) is plugged into this:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-...04U8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310588945&sr=8-1

and my main DVR (and all my other HT equipment) is plugged into this:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-Condition...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310589118&sr=1-1

Ignore the prices, because these can be found elsewhere for much less.

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    UPS = "Uninterruptable Power Supply"

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Don't get just any UPS. If your issues are actual "flutters" and not total loss of power then you need a UPS with AVR (Auto Voltage Regulation).

11. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
  12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    What kind of run-time do you get with a single 12V marine battery?

This looks like something I have been looking for. A UPS that will autoswitch, and keep things running, but also let me patch in power from my pickup truck during extended outages. I was trying to find something that would basically replace my recently stolen portable 1500W generator. This looks like it would have enough power to run the TV, and the small fridge, with that doubleboost start up feature to kick on the compressor.

13. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005

I don't really know the maximum run time, but it can easilly go an hour on a single healthy marine battery. Most power outages that I am home for are an hour or less.