1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends Busted For Fire Hydrant Backyard Ice Hockey Rink

Discussion in 'The OT' started by machavez00, Dec 15, 2011.

1. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
  2. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Heh ... so they didn't want to continue using their house garden hose because they didn't want to run up the water bill, but they didn't think there would be a problem using the hydrant because it's just water...

:lol:

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perhaps the money from the imposed fines should be allocated to the Park District to maintain the public rink that wears out. :sure:

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    and everyone has fire hoses laying around!

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The fines will cost them more than the water would have.

Funny thing is, we used to have a whole back yard rink every year. Built up the banks and bed using packed snow, then turned the garden hose on for a few hours. Every few days we'd run the hose again to add a new surface. Usually lasted from early December to late February.

Probably couldn't afford that much water these days.

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Unauthorized use of a fire hydrant is a no-no almost everywhere.
    "I thought it was just water"? where are his brains? :eek2:
    Every time I see an article like this, I'm reminded of Ron White's routine -- "You can't fix stupid"! :lol:

7. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Duplicate post :(

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    They were also quoted as saying that they did it because they didn't want their water bill to be too high. So they knew their was a cost associated with the water. Estimated @ 26,000 gallons.

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I know when I had to have the vinyl liner replaced on my pool, 12,000 gallons of water (2 18wheeler tankers worth) cost me $400. Granted, the cost of water for different localities will be different. The other 7000 gallons I pumped out of my well....

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    That 26,000 gallons would cost somewhere around $220.00 here, but this is rural with no sewerage rates added on. I can't imagine how long it would take though with a 5/8" supply line.

11. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Brings back memories of when I was a kid back in The Bronx on one of those hot summer days and some adult would open up the hydrant in front of our building. In those days I believe that water was free.

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I know it seems impossible now, but one day they'll probably be charging us for water by the bottle.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The estimated cost of the water is going to be about $127. Plus fines. At least according to the article linked by the OP.

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    When I was growing up in the suburbs of Milwaukee Wisconsin, the city built a cabin on the corner of the middle school's playground, complete with a pot bellied stove, and bench seats inside, carpeted floors. Then they plowed the playground from middle to outside creating a nice 3' snowbank, and used a fire truck to fill the playground with water. From December to March, we had the best city maintained skating rink I have ever seen. All free to use..

And you know what? We went skating, not roaming the streets looking for trouble. They even had several donated skates for those who couldnt afford to go buy a pair.

Sometimes I wish things would go backwards. Seemed their was so much more common sense in play in the 60's. Now someone would file a lawsuit because the cabin was to hot, or their kid skinned his knee when he fell on the ice...

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Kind of reminds me of a case a few years ago where a kid built an igloo in his yard, and the city made them take it down because they didn't get a permit.

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    To be fair in Chicago, at least before I moved, you didn't pay for water usage. They may have assumed that since it was municiple that it was still pumped in from the lake and so water cost wouldn't be a factor.

However going off of demographics of that area and the houses around I don't think the fine will be that large of a burden.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The firemen and cops still open the hydrants in the summer. And ignore the hydrants opened by unauthorized people. Gotta love the City!

Rich