1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fringe "expires"?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by denvertrakker, Jan 22, 2011.

1. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    I noticed on my recording of "Fringe" from the other night a message to the effect of "This recording will be deleted Mon. 1/31"! What's up with that? Is it related to the Fox/DirecTV dust-up?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I just checked my recording and it doesn't show this at all. Must somehow be related to your station.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    How do you have the series marked for deletion? How full is your DVR?

4. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Is it your local market FOX a Raycom owned station? Or is it because D is changing on the fly?

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    My local Fox station is Raycom, but my Fringe recording does not show this.

:)

6. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    Keep until disk is full; 33% available.

Nope. "Oak Hill Capital Partners", whoever they are...

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Sounds like it's not setup for KUID but KUF and 1/3 is when it will be removed for space. Ensure it's KUID and reset.

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's the issue. Change to 'Keen Until I Delete' and the message will [should] go away.

9. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    Done. It's now marked with a "K", but still says "Expires 1/31". Very strange...

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wait, it says it expires, or that it will delete?

11. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    well my Fringe is set to record sat 1/29 10pmcst and instead 8pmcst fri 1/28 and i only have clone wars on fri 730 and gold rush at 900 so there r no conflicts. why not the fri one?

12. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    Both. In the Guide listing it says "Expires 1/31"; then, when you call up the recording it says (under the summary) that "The program will be deleted on Mon 1/31 4:59P".

Guess I better watch it before then, in case it does delete!

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Check the exact start/end times for the shows. Sometimes shows run for 1:02 instead of 1:00, and that can cause a conflict for those couple of minutes.

14. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I have the same situation of Fringe set to record on Saturday instead of Friday but I have nothing else recording on Friday on that DVR. I don't see anything in the description of the Friday showing that would make the DVR think it was not a first-run episode & the description for both Friday & Saturday seem to be identical.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I have the same thing. I looked at my SL and airings of it and changed it to Friday.
    I've seen this recently with another SL, which I think is guide data related. The later airing may have been added before the earlier airing, so the DVR locked on the first one it saw and didn't/hasn't shifted to the "true first airing".
    My local Fox screwed Human Target too, a week or two back. It had false data which caused two hours of the wrong programing to be recorded, and then didn't record the following day's airing, as this wasn't "first aired", though in fact it was.

16. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I had the same issue. I didn't catch it until there were only 20 minutes left in the two hour show. Very frustrating....

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I missed the first 20-30 mins, as I was lucky to stumble upon it.
    FWIW: this was actually two one hour shows.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I completely missed that human target episodes.. Freaking Fox...

As for the op.. Try and do a simple menu restart of your machine. It may just be a glitch.. In any case, I think we would all like to know if it actually does delete on its own...

19. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    Do you mean an RBR?

That's my plan. To be on the safe side, I'm going to watch it but then not delete it as I usually do - and we'll see what happens on 1/31.

20. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    No. Not an RBR. Only do an RBR when the DVR is unresponsive to both the remote and the front panel.

The prefered method is to do a Menu Restart.

Menu->Parental, Fav's & Setup->System Setup->Reset->Restart Receiver

Think of an RBR like the reset button on your computer. It abruptly stops the system and initiates a hard restart. Cutting the system off while it in the process of writing to the hard drive is always a last resort tactic.

Doing a Menu Restart allows the system to properly close out all the running processes and read/writes to the hard drive.

Mike