1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated (venting post)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Stephens24, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Stephens24

Stephens24 Mentor

Dec 13, 2007
    Oh the lengths I have to go to to get my Sunday ticket.

Just moved into by new house last week was very excited to order directv and finally be able to watch my Lions play (stop laughing) However I have woods directly begind my house where the dish has to point but I knew it would be close. I order last week, installer comes out and says he can install it but the dish will have to be put on my roof on the very front of the house :nono2: That really wasnt going to work for me it would be an eyesore. I cancel my order.

Two days later Im still determined to get Directv and I call my local D* dealer to come out just for a site survey. He only have a compass with him, but he says that if we put the dish in the very front of my yard by the street on a 5ft pole, we can get over the trees. It would probably be about a 30-40ft run to get to the house. So I think about it for a couple days with the wife and we decide that we can do some landscaping and hide the dish from the street.

So today I call the local dealer back and a lady answers ,we go through the process but she is trying to charge my $100 for an HDDVR with the new promotion going on for Free premier package with purchase of Sunday Ticket. While Im on the phone with her Im looking right on D* website which says free HDDVR. She wasnt budging. I told her Im sorry but I have to cancel it.

So just now I called D* again and setup another install hopefully I can get a different company that will be able to do the same install my local dealer said. Its just been a pain, but so has being a Lions fan:(

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Sorry about your troubles... Hope it all gets worked out! Keep us posted

:lol: @

3. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    The things we do to get D* I have had many stories the past 12 years because of trees, and bad installers

4. Stephens24

Stephens24 Mentor

Dec 13, 2007
    Here a question for the math wizzes out there. If the front my my roof is say 15ft high. And that would good enough to get over the trees, would walking on the ground 15ft further back give me the same results, or is that math wrong?

5. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Installer is right. On a pole will work. Just be ugly to some. It's all about LOS, and not math. All you need is a clear view of the southern sky. If the dish is aimed correctly, the distance should be enough combined with the angle of the dish to get the view needed. I had a pole in my backyard in SC. Never had a problem.

6. Stephens24

Stephens24 Mentor

Dec 13, 2007
    Yeah if on a pole would work we would just landscape around the back of the dish to block it from street view. I just wanted to be sure my math was right

7. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    A pole will work. It's not pretty sometimes, but its effetive. You can help that process things along by diggin the trench for the wires before your installer comes.

8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    So you went for the free install, which I can't blame you for. But please don't complain if the HSP guy:

- Doesn't come with a pole
    - Charges you for the pole
    - Doesn't want to bury the wire
    - Does the job in an hour since he has 5 more left

I can speak for the dealer in question, but he would have came to your house prepped for the job at hand with all supplies and a set idea how to do the job.

9. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't mean to sound dumb but why don't you order from the local dealer and have them do the install? You'll probably get a much better install thru them then whatever random installer DirecTV picks. You should be able to get whatever deals there are thru the dealer.

A pole install will not be included in any free install so you'll have to pay for it anyway so why not give the local dealer your business?

10. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    It would definitely be to your advantage to go ahead and have the pole set and the trench dug...

11. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    My pole install was done for free....and they used 150 lbs of concrete to set the sucker...so its still solid in place...

12. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Not true. Pole installs are free if required for LOS.

J

13. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    My pole install was free and he dug the trench for me.

I know it does vary from place to place.

I don't understand the term "eyesore" when used in connection with a DirecTV dish, however. Mine stands proudly at the end of my driveway.

14. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    They are. But most guys want to see something for it and rather call in NLOS then pole mount and dig for free. I don't blame then either.

We as a dealer charge for tripods and poles. But then again we do jobs that the HSP refuses to do.

15. Stephens24

Stephens24 Mentor

Dec 13, 2007

The problem is they wouldnt give me the same programming deal that the mothership was gving. The lady at the local deal insisted I needed to pay $100 for an HDDVR when it should come for free.

The problem is Im not 100% sure if I can get a signal (Im basing that off my off local dealer with just a compass. ) So I really dont want to put a pole in and dig the line without knowing for sure

16. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    So you are charging your customers for something that D* says should be free?

J

17. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Nope, the customer agrees to pay us a fee so that they can have D* service.

18. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I'm talking specifically about charging a customer for a pole install that he/she needs for LOS.

J

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    To get the actual ground distance, you divide the height by the tangent of the satellite elevation. Tangent is the ratio of the height to ground distance (side opposite/side adjacent).

According to http://www.dishpointer.com, your elevation for 101W is approximately 40.3 degrees. Doing the math, that's 15/TAN(40.3)=17.6874ft.

20. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The free pole mount is an HSP rule that cannot be applied to independent retailers. For that matter, it's illegal to require it of HSP subcontractors, but that's one of the things that the HSPs routinely get away with (but lose lawsuits over).

Also, retailers sometimes aren't allowed to give the same promotions as going directly to DirecTV. It's a stupid system, but there you go.